Remote Car Starter 2016 Honda Odyssey
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Car Starter 2016 Honda Odyssey

Thumbs down Remote Car Starter 2016 Honda Odyssey

First, it's 700 bucks OUCH!!! Second it shuts of if you unlock or open a door, you are still required to "Start" your car? Am I dreaming or is that for real?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You can install it yourself and then take it to Honda to have it programmed in. It's not hard to do and saves you $2-300.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Shuts off when you open the door? My accord doesn't shutoff, you just jump in the car and "start" the car by pressing the start button with your foot on your brake. If you don't press the start button and your try to put in gear, the moment you press the gear lever it shuts off. This is obviously all for safety reasons.

I know $700 is too much but remember, this is a factory setup. It won't fail as easily as a aftermarket system would. If it does fail you always can take it to the dealer....If you got warranty that is.
    2017 Honda Odyssey TE - OEM Footwell LED Mod - LED Rear Reflectors -
    2017 Honda Accord EX-L
    2014 Honda Civic EX-L
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L (USDM AF!) VCMuzller - Catless Down Pipes - Test Pipe - Custom SRI/CAI - TB Coolant Bypass - Thermal Gaskets - Coilovers - Tuned

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Yes the van shuts off if I open the door, or unlock the doors, the van just shuts off, I have to press the break and start button to turn over the engine. This is not my van but it behaves the same in the 2016 after market car starter. I also have to have 2 fobs...

Well thats just stupid. Why would it shutoff and not open when you try to get in? Is it designed like that or improper installation?

Maybe someone else here with the remote start on their 2016 can chime in.
    2017 Honda Odyssey TE - OEM Footwell LED Mod - LED Rear Reflectors -
    2017 Honda Accord EX-L
    2014 Honda Civic EX-L
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L (USDM AF!) VCMuzller - Catless Down Pipes - Test Pipe - Custom SRI/CAI - TB Coolant Bypass - Thermal Gaskets - Coilovers - Tuned

Why would it shutoff and not open when you try to get in?
    That's not exactly correct,

It shuts off when you open or unlock the door. The door does in fact open when you try to get in, the issue is when it opens the car shuts off. Leaving us to have to start the car all over again.

Also with proximity on key less entry, the car shuts off if I even try to clean it from snow, I get to close the doors unlock and my car shuts off, not allowing me to remote start it again for 10 minutes.

Go after market. They have much longer ranges, and the remote starter will not shut off the engine when you unlock your vehicle to get in.
    Last edited by manfrotto; 12-23-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manfrotto View Post
    Go after market. They have much longer ranges, and the remote starter will not shut off the engine when you unlock your vehicle to get in.
    My after market remote start shuts down the engine once I open the door. Also, the fob will not function, that is, unlock or open doors if the remote start is used. Not a big problem, as I only have to press the remote start button twice and the doors unlock, BUT, the engine still shuts down if a door is opened. I don't mind as I only use the remote start to get the vehicle warmed up in cold weather. It's not a big deal to get into the vehicle and restart it. YMMV.
    2016 Odyssey, EX-L, Smoky Topaz Metallic

06 Ford Ranger Ext. cab Sport

Quote Originally Posted by billsr View Post
    My after market remote start shuts down the engine once I open the door. Also, the fob will not function, that is, unlock or open doors if the remote start is used. Not a big problem, as I only have to press the remote start button twice and the doors unlock, BUT, the engine still shuts down if a door is opened. I don't mind as I only use the remote start to get the vehicle warmed up in cold weather. It's not a big deal to get into the vehicle and restart it. YMMV.
    Okay, so maybe not all remote starters are programmed the same. I have a Crimestopper Cool Start. I start the engine with the CS remote. When I get to the vehicle, I use the same CS remote to unlock the vehicle. When I enter the vehicle, I can insert the Honda Odyssey key into the ignition, turn it to the “on” position, and then hit the brakes on the car. Doing so transfers control of the vehicle to the Honda Odyssey key, and now you just operate the vehicle as normal. All of this is without the engine turning off.

I ordered the Honda Remote Starter when purchasing the vehicle, but the dealership installed this aftermarket one instead. I was disappointed in the cheap looking remote starter (compared to the shiny looking Honda branded one with the “official” Honda emblem on it), but have since been very happy with the operation of this aftermarket one. Yes, the dealership probably saved quite a few bucks by giving me this remote starter, but in hindsight this is how a remote starter should function, shouldn’t it? To require the van be shut off when you open the doors to enter seems ridiculous.

I'm in the same boat, annoyed by the aftermarket remote start installed by my dealer. Also annoyed that I have to get in and restart. werid.

You're comparing apples to oranges. I'm guessing you don't own a 2015 or 16?
    My '15 EXL has no place for an ignition key, its push to start only. I have a CompuStar remote start and it behaves the same way as the OP's does. Start car with aftermarket fob. Unlock doors with aftermarket fob. Car shuts off. Depress brake and push button to restart car. Yes it seems stupid but its my understanding that's how the factory remote starts work as well on the 15/16 Odyssey's.
    Quote Originally Posted by manfrotto View Post
    Okay, so maybe not all remote starters are programmed the same. I have a Crimestopper Cool Start. I start the engine with the CS remote. When I get to the vehicle, I use the same CS remote to unlock the vehicle. When I enter the vehicle, I can insert the Honda Odyssey key into the ignition, turn it to the “on” position, and then hit the brakes on the car. Doing so transfers control of the vehicle to the Honda Odyssey key, and now you just operate the vehicle as normal. All of this is without the engine turning off.

I ordered the Honda Remote Starter when purchasing the vehicle, but the dealership installed this aftermarket one instead. I was disappointed in the cheap looking remote starter (compared to the shiny looking Honda branded one with the “official” Honda emblem on it), but have since been very happy with the operation of this aftermarket one. Yes, the dealership probably saved quite a few bucks by giving me this remote starter, but in hindsight this is how a remote starter should function, shouldn’t it? To require the van be shut off when you open the doors to enter seems ridiculous.
    2015 Honda Odyssey EXL
    1996 Land Rover Discovery
    1995 Land Rover Discovery
    1994 Land Rover Discovery

I have a remote start on my 2016 Subaru Outback. It also shuts the engine off when you open a door after a remote start. It's a safety feature to keep someone from stealing your car when it's already running. People complain about it all the time on the Ouback forums, but I don't think it's that big of deal. I have to put the key in the ignition (on my Subaru) anyway, so spending .05 seconds turning it doesn't ruin my day.

I'm planning to self-install the OEM Honda starter on my new 2016 Odyssey, and am willing to accept some loss of functionality (real or perceived) for tight OEM integration, not having to cut/splice wires, etc. Plug and play is the way to go on modern electronics IMO. And I don't want the dealer to be able to point fingers anywhere else if there are electrical issues with the van.

For those whose dealers installed aftermarket starters on their new vans, I'd be pretty mad, unless they clearly disclosed that upfront. When you buying a part from a dealer you expect OEM.

I just installed a compustar remote start.

According to the installer

-it's a plug and play unit with no cutting or splicing necessary.

-there is a new firm update and a new t-harness that allows the proximity sensor on the Honda key fob to work (aka unlock without having to push a button.) They installed the old harness, but am getting the new harness installed today

- as with all Hondas with push button, once you open the door it shuts off the engine

-I spent a total of about $525 with tax and it has the "1.5 mile range" 2-way remote

My 2016 Honda Accord touring stays running after using the factory equipped remote start and opening the door. It only shuts off if you try to shift the car into gear without first hitting the push start button. The extended range would be nice though.

I guess it's "most Hondas" .... or maybe it's with aftermarket remote start

And yes the extra range is very handy

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast