Any way to keep 12v on when car is off
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any way to keep 12v on when car is off

Any way to keep 12v on when car is off

Hi,

I bought an odyssey 2014 and what I miss is having the 12v cig lighter plug on when car is off. Is there an easy way to change the current behaviour?

Thanks

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You can remove the relay and insert a jumper on pins 1 & 2 on the front accessory power socket relay. See diagram below. However, if you leave anything plugged in you risk draining your battery.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/D...Pdf?id=1068803
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

It's surprising that Honda has held out so long on the 12V power issue. My company car, 2016 Ford Explorer, has retained power to the 12V outlets for a period of time which is nice. I can leave my phone in the car to charge while I'm in a meeting, at lunch, etc. I don't know for sure how long the timer is or if it is based on voltage drop, but both technologies exist at very low cost so it would be nice if Honda incorporated it into future models.

John, you're just the kind of guy to create a jumper with a timer built in! I'd buy it
    30 year career of car sales and related industry
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

It'd be a whole added module. Wouldn't be too hard for an electrical engineer to develop. I'm far from an electrical engineer! I could do it...it just wouldn't be pretty!
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

A much simpler solution is to add another 12V socket connected to an always-on circuit with a BDP device - basically wiring in a dashcam for parking mode without actually plugging in the camera.

Total cost would be around $40 and total time invested maybe an hour.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, VCMuzzler, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less. - Eric Shinseki

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    However, if you leave anything plugged in you risk draining your battery.
    Yes, and also the plugged-in load will continue to draw power while starting the engine. That could cause a no-crank situation if the battery is low.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    Yes, and also the plugged-in load will continue to draw power while starting the engine. That could cause a no-crank situation if the battery is low.

Dave
    Yeah, you'd only want to start it with low draw items like a mobile phone charger connected, and even then, that isn't good for your mobile device or your charger as you can get voltage drops and spikes during start.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

Quote Originally Posted by CroMath View Post
    A much simpler solution is to add another 12V socket connected to an always-on circuit with a BDP device - basically wiring in a dashcam for parking mode without actually plugging in the camera.

Total cost would be around $40 and total time invested maybe an hour.
    Thanks for all the info. What is a BDO device? Do u mean making a hole for a new cig lighter in the dash?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    You can remove the relay and insert a jumper on pins 1 & 2 on the front accessory power socket relay. See diagram below. However, if you leave anything plugged in you risk draining your battery.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/D...Pdf?id=1068803
    Thanks John, I will try to understand diagram and find pins 1 and 2. The front accessory power socket relay is a relay in the fuse box?

If u have a picture that would help a lot.

I don't have the location for the gen 4. I have it for the gen 3.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

Quote Originally Posted by shadisoft View Post
    Thanks for all the info. What is a BDO device? Do u mean making a hole for a new cig lighter in the dash?

I believe he means a device such as this that allows power even though vehicle is off, yet protects the battery from discharging.

https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/

Quote Originally Posted by EOT 4 Life View Post
    I believe he means a device such as this that allows power even though vehicle is off, yet protects the battery from discharging.

https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/
    That's exactly right. It prevents your battery's voltage level from dropping below a pre-set level.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, VCMuzzler, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less. - Eric Shinseki

Thanks John, I will try to understand diagram and find pins 1 and 2. The front accessory power socket relay is a relay in the fuse box?

If u have a picture that would help a lot.

Actually, It looks like it's relay #4 in the drawing below. Ignore the 23 right next to it. I think the 2 and 3 go with the arrows to the right. The drawings aren't great. Plug something in to the socket and make sure it's working. Then simply pull that relay and make sure it's the right one.

Any way to keep 12v on when car is off-screenshot-2016-12-29-21.49.23.png
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

"BDP" stands for Battery Drain Protection. It acts like a switch between the fuse for the always on circuit and the 12V socket. The power is allowed to flow until the voltage reaches a pre-set level and then switches itself off.

As for mounting options, no one says you have to have it in the dash; as a matter of fact, I'd advocate against hacking up your dash. You could run the wire wherever you want. I'd be tempted to run it into the console or maybe the storage where the Coolbox would be for a stealthy look.

Thanks a lot all. All great info. I have excellent info now to make my change.

Much appreciated

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast