NHTSA recall from 12/29/16: Second Row Outboard Seats may Stay Unlocked
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NHTSA recall from 12/29/16: Second Row Outboard Seats may Stay Unlocked

NHTSA recall from 12/29/16: Second Row Outboard Seats may Stay Unlocked

Just received notification of a recall that will be announced in January 2017 that affects certain VIN ranges for 2011 through 2016 Odysseys. A little strange that each year has a small segment that's affected but I digress.

The formal description:
    The second row outboard seats installed in affected vehicles have release levers for the walk-in feature which folds the seatback and slides the seat forward for access to the third row seats. Due to surface roughness on internal parts, reduced torque on the return spring (as a result of manufacturing variability), inconsistent/inadequate grease application, and potential grease hardening under specific temperature and humidity ranges, there is potential for the seat to stay in the unlocked position (free-sliding) after returning the seat to its normal seating position.

Here's a link to the details and VIN ranges:
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...6V933-8863.PDF
    2016 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Dynamic - Firenze Red/Pimento
    2013 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite - Smoky Topaz/Truffle
    2008 Acura MDX Tech/PTG - Steel Blue/Taupe [Traded]

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    See TSB 16-108 - Safety Recall: Second Row (Both Outer) Seats in the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 TSB threads.
    2008 Odyssey Touring non-PAX
    Silver Pearl Metallic w/ Black Interior
    Mobil 1 5W-20 with Honda Oil Filter 15400-PLM-A01 or 15400-PLM-A02
    Shell (or other Top-Tier Gas)
    Honda Care 6yr/120K from Bernardi Honda
    WeatherTech FloorLiner (1st, 2nd, 3rd Row)
    WeatherTech Cargo Liner (Coverage Area: Behind 2nd Seat)

TSBs applied: 07-045 (Brake Pedal Is Low and Feels Soft), 08-080 (Wind Noise or Rattle From Front Doors), 09-053 (Product Update: Lock-Up Clutch Judders Between 20–45 MPH / PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch Function), 10-024 (No XM Sound, But XM Station Information Is Displayed)

Safety Recalls applied: 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

Warranty Repairs: Torque converter replaced at 38,349 miles, Water passage replaced at 38,349 miles, HOSE A, WATER, HOSE C, WATER, and RUBBER, THERMOSTAT MOUNTING replaced at 39,673 miles. Second software update (unreleased and released) applied to PCM

This is on my local news tonight. Honda is recalling more than 650,000 (2011-2016) Odysseys for this non-locking seat problem.
    I have experienced this problem myself whereby the 2nd row seats will not lock in position on the sliding rail. My only solution is to pull the release strap again, fold the chair down, and slam the seat back up to vertical with great force.
    If that doesn't work, the only other thing you can do is to manually push down the bar underneath the seat that is used to adjust forward/reverse seat positioning. You should feel it lock into place as you push it down.
    For just this reason, we don't really use the easy access release feature, as it is troublesome. I didn't know till I seen your post that it is now confirmed as dangerous! Then saw it on the news too.

Hopefully, Honda can get the retrofit parts to the dealers in short order.
    Last edited by kenchills; 12-29-2016 at 08:53 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I'm relieved to hear this is an issue they're aware of and will be addressing. Our second row seats have failed to lock after accessing the 3rd row and its a real pain. Sometimes it has taken a dozen or more attempts for it to successfully lock.
    Maybe they'll address the little plastic caps that are constantly popping off the rails.
    2015 Honda Odyssey EXL
    1996 Land Rover Discovery
    1995 Land Rover Discovery
    1994 Land Rover Discovery

Thanks for the info. I do have this issue with my 2012 TE. All the while I thought it was just normal and I just need to slam that seat back to make sure it latches.

Substantive recall of Honda of Odysseys

From some very current web sights such as "Auto World News" it seems that the Odyssey my wife and I were planning to purchase in 2017 may have a problem. There appears to be about 641,302 of Odyssey minivans that have to be repaired as the second row of seats pose a danger as they do not stay affixed to the floor in an accident. It is not crystal clear to me if the soon to be offered 2017 Odysseys do not have this problem as their build date will be later than the problem time of Aug 17, 2010 to Oct 1, 2015. I'm sure more info will become known to us as time progresses but just wanted to get the data to you since a 2017 is in our picture for purchase in the near future.

Any repairs or remedies that will occur at dealerships for existing Odysseys will be applied either on the production line at the factory or at the delivering dealership. Either way, the same fix will apply to 2017 models as to all the others and you as a prospective buyer needn't worry about it.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, VCMuzzler, Street Guardian dashcam

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over those who can't read them. - Mark Twain

Dealers knew about the recall a week earlier - there was a stop sale order on all of these used vans. Dealers do have the fix now, though, which is why we were able to bring our 2014 home this weekend.
    Charlie Richman

One of our center row seats does this. Have never bothered to take it in for warranty because manually pulling the front bar down fixes it, but it is annoying. I have just always assumed it was somewhat normal and just another "Oddysey Oddity" along with several others we have encountered that also seem to be common on this board and elsewhere : ) I like our van still, but after owning I no longer think of Honda as the untouchable master of build quality and reliability that I used to.

Thank You for this thread. Just called the dealer and they asked me to bring it in. I told them I was there two weeks ago for oil change and wished that they would fix it. They told me the recall just came in??
    2016 EX-L

Just had my local Honda dealer did the fix. Had to take out the child seat from 2nd row. but no drama, just 2 hrs wait.
    '12 Odyssey EX-L - Smoky Topaz

so what is the fix for this?

Quote Originally Posted by bmwm5pwr View Post
    I think the work was to replace the latch / hook, and add reinforcement for the 2nd row seats.
    '12 Odyssey EX-L - Smoky Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by bmwm5pwr View Post
    As EE4Life stated, See TSB 16-108, it explains it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by EE4Life View Post
    See TSB 16-108 - Safety Recall: Second Row (Both Outer) Seats in the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 TSB threads.

Had our van in for an oil change last week and they offered to do the recall, but I had one of the 2nd row seats stored in the garage so we didn't do it that day. Based upon this thread, seems like people aren't having issues with their dealership not having the parts to perform the fix yet.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast