best bang-for-the-buck audio upgrade for 2014 LX?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best bang-for-the-buck audio upgrade for 2014 LX?

best bang-for-the-buck audio upgrade for 2014 LX?

Just got a CPO LX, and the factory sound is fairly underwhelming. I'm not really interested in changing out the head unit, and I only really care about audio for the front passengers. Am I right in thinking that swapping in better front door speakers is the way to go?

Any suggestions/tips?

Thanks.

Charlie
    Charlie Richman

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

First replace the radio. The speakers will only be as good as the signal coming in to them. Then speakers, then add amplifier (if needed)
    2012 Odyssey Touring Elite -Crystal Black Pearl/ Truffle

Don't waste your money on a new head unit which will ruin your factory look. Get replacement speakers on Amazon and replace the door speakers. It will make a huge difference and only cost around $70. Then if you want more, get an 8" sub unit that goes under the passenger seat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scottn3 View Post
    Don't waste your money on a new head unit which will ruin your factory look. Get replacement speakers on Amazon and replace the door speakers. It will make a huge difference and only cost around $70. Then if you want more, get an 8" sub unit that goes under the passenger seat.
    Any links for speakers you would recommend?

Hi Charlie-check out the other posts - these questions were already been answered-I too have a 2014 and want to replace all speakers even the rear pillar speakers that only Touring has.
    all the answers for replacing speakers are there just search. CRUTCHFIELD is the best place to check for speakers, tells you what fits and if purchase there it comes with instructions and attachement wires. good luck

These bolt right up in a few minutes: http://a.co/gmUU3Qx
    Don't forget the wiring harness so you don't have to splice wires: http://a.co/c91YNJY

You can check Crutchfield for fit, but they are usually more $ than buying on Amazon.

The next best bang for buck is a subwoofer like this: http://a.co/gtRMg52
    It would be a little tougher to install but isn't too bad if you get a wire kit and line out converter - shown in the 'Frequently Bought Together' section on Amazon.
    Scott N, CTS-D, ME
    Charlotte, NC
    2005 Res Navi Sand Pearl
    Hidden Content

Nice, thanks for the speakers link. I am going to do the speakers for the sliding door. I have put off this project for 5 yr already ... LOL

(the van is only 65k miles, still plenty left)
    '12 Odyssey EX-L - Smoky Topaz

Don't forget the wiring harness so you don't have to splice wires: http://a.co/c91YNJY
    I am ordering these speakers

I remember there is a link somewhere for taking off the sliding door panels, anybody got that handy?

Thanks

BTW, do i need a speaker bracket for the them or simply just remove old speaker and bolt on the new ones?

And I found the link for removing the sliding door panels, just in case anybody else needs this info

My 2012 LX - Accessories on going Weekend projects w/Pics

Before you automatically assume Crutchfield is the most expensive choice, be sure to add in the free extras they include with most purchases. For those Rockford Fosgate speakers, for example, Amazon is $33, while Crutchfield is $50. But Crutchfield includes the speaker bracket and wiring harness (leads) that you need for free. Add these into the Amazon order and that comes up to $50.60, so it's basically a wash. Plus, Crutchfield includes detailed install instructions and free phone tech support. For the average home installer, and especially the inexperienced installer, having that kind of help can be really useful.

I'm not a Crutchfield employee or anything, just somebody who has been a big fan since back in the early 80s when I bought and installed my first stereo and speakers bought from them. I occasionally buy stuff from Amazon, but 95% of the time it's from Crutchfield, even though at this point I'm a fairly experienced non-pro car audio installer.

Amazon cart:
    best bang-for-the-buck audio upgrade for 2014 LX?-amazon-cart.jpg

Crutchfield cart:
    best bang-for-the-buck audio upgrade for 2014 LX?-crutch-cart.jpg
    Last edited by PhillyOdy; 01-19-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Crutchfield seems to only have 6.75" for that speaker. but i am still unsure if speaker bracket is needed for the sliding door speaker installation.

Are those brackets really needed? They weren't on mine. Crutchfield is a marketing company first and foremost...I'm not hating on them, I actually work for a very similar company so I know it when I see them...
    Scott N, CTS-D, ME
    Charlotte, NC
    2005 Res Navi Sand Pearl
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
    Crutchfield seems to only have 6.75" for that speaker. but i am still unsure if speaker bracket is needed for the sliding door speaker installation.
    I thought you were doing front speakers. Not sure if the bracket is needed for the side/rear.

Crutchfield is a marketing company first and foremost...I'm not hating on them, I actually work for a very similar company so I know it when I see them...
    What's a "Marketing company"? Any company that sells anything is a marketing company, I guess, by definition. What I like about Crutchfield is that they have proven many times (to me at least) to back that up with being a service company.

Disclosure: I work in marketing-communications for a global technology company :-)

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast