Looking to buy 2011 EX - Advice?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking to buy 2011 EX - Advice?

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time a Honda Accord V6 owner. I know late 90s and early 2000 V6s had transmission issues. I was hoping all 2005+ Honda transmission problems were fixed. I went through the transmission issues thread here on the 2011+ Odysseys and feel a little disappointed that some issues still exist.

I am wanting to go down to SC this weekend and check out this Odyssey https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7664/overview/

Do you guys believe this one would be susceptible to the tranny issues? Anything else I need to watch out for? I'll check the transmission fluid but I'm pretty sure I can bargain my way into some DW-1 fluid to do my own D/F at home...I have trust issues, haha.

Anyhow, having 2 kids now, I want to trade my Santa Fe Sport for this van possibly.

Any insight is appreciated,

Thanks,
    Vlad
    2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 156k
    2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
    2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2006 Cadillac CTS
    2005 Toyota Corolla
    1999 Nissan Altima

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Don't answer all at once now...

2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2006 Cadillac CTS
    2005 Toyota Corolla
    1999 Nissan Altima

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyFife View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm a long time a Honda Accord V6 owner. I know late 90s and early 2000 V6s had transmission issues. I was hoping all 2005+ Honda transmission problems were fixed. I went through the transmission issues thread here on the 2011+ Odysseys and feel a little disappointed that some issues still exist.

I am wanting to go down to SC this weekend and check out this Odyssey https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7664/overview/

Do you guys believe this one would be susceptible to the tranny issues? Anything else I need to watch out for? I'll check the transmission fluid but I'm pretty sure I can bargain my way into some DW-1 fluid to do my own D/F at home...I have trust issues, haha.

Anyhow, having 2 kids now, I want to trade my Santa Fe Sport for this van possibly.

Any insight is appreciated,

Thanks,
    Vlad
    Well, the glib answer here would be to say, "Yes, of course it is susceptible to transmission issues - they all are." But realistically, it looks pretty nice in the pictures.

I would be very very careful about checking out any maintenance records they might have and don't be embarrassed to pull the ATF dipstick in front of the salesman. The 5-speeds (which this van has) are sometimes more problematic than the 6-speeds, though if the maintenance has been done well, that doesn't have to be the case.

And pay extremely special attention to how the engine runs, especially when the VCM kicks on - if things go really well, you will only be able to tell this when the "ECO" light comes on in the instrument cluster. The VCM system is very hard on the active engine mounts and if you can feel or hear the engine shake, shudder, groan or make itself known when the ECO light comes on, it's likely that a series of expensive repairs are in the future.

If all that checks out well and you decide to buy the van, then invest in either a VCMuzzler (tried and true) or a VCM Tuner (newer but looks very promising) to permanently disable the VCM. And doing your own 3x drain-and-fill is cheap insurance and peace of mind, especially if you can wrangle a deal on the fluid (you'd need about 10-11 quarts).
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, VCMuzzler, Street Guardian dashcam

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over those who can't read them. - Mark Twain

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Agree with all of the above. When pull that ATF dipstick look for a nice red color and no burned smell. Every vehicle has it's issues and quirks. If everything looks good I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I would, however, if you don't feel confident in your own observations and inspections, take it to a third party shop that knows Hondas and have it pre-purchase inspected. You might be able to work on that "no hassle price" if they find something. It might cost you a couple hundred bucks but if they do a thorough inspection it's well worth the money.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

we had 2002 EX, 2006 EXL and now 2011 EXL which we purchased 3/2016 71K.. paid 17.9K

Comparing to previous generations. 2011 ody's transmission is better (2002 had tranny replaced, 2006 had Torque converter replaced)

As John stated above, you could have independent mechanic to check out before you buy.

And most importantly , I would install VCMuzzler as soon as possible for "possible" future problem.

VCM - A better way to disable.
    2011 Odyssey EXL Polished Metal Metallic (Honda All Season Floor mats, H9 bulbs, VCMuzzler2)
    2011 CR-V SE 4WD Tango Red Pearl (Silver Star 2.0 bulbs, All Seasons Floor mats, Fog light)

Make sure you get two good keys, the plastic casing on the keys sucks and it's prone to break.

Yes, I'm definitely checking all the fluids. VCM delete is a must if I end up buying it. I also asked them to check the rear mount but I'll have to look at it myself.

Every model has its issues, and I just wanted to hear your opinions on any particular problems in the Odyssey. I've read somewhere that doors could also have issues with not wanting to open? I'm a little disappointed that Honda still hasn't fixed the transmission issues, but hopefully with regular drain and refills, as well as a tranny cooler, the transmission will last a long time.

Thank you for your input. The plan is to go down Saturday and look at it.
    Last edited by BarneyFife; 02-16-2017 at 03:09 PM.

2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2006 Cadillac CTS
    2005 Toyota Corolla
    1999 Nissan Altima

Quote Originally Posted by cvr24 View Post
    Make sure you get two good keys, the plastic casing on the keys sucks and it's prone to break.
    When I bought my Santa Fe, they told me it has two cars. After signing the papers, they brought me one key and said that they don't have a second one. The key tag saying there are 2 keys was a "typo". Better ask to see they keys upfront

2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2006 Cadillac CTS
    2005 Toyota Corolla
    1999 Nissan Altima

Someone bought it today. One day too late. Plan was to go down there tomorrow.

2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2006 Cadillac CTS
    2005 Toyota Corolla
    1999 Nissan Altima

Good riddance. You escaped. Don't worry . You'll get a better Ody soon . With the impending release of New Ody in a few months, a lot of relatively newer Ody's will see low prices which will increase the number of cars in your search at a given price range.
    Last edited by Bond007; 02-18-2017 at 12:31 AM.

I went out and tested a Sienna and an Odyssey today. I liked the Sienna more. Smoother and more responsive. I'm leaning towards a Sienna now.

2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2006 Cadillac CTS
    2005 Toyota Corolla
    1999 Nissan Altima

If the dip stick looks good and drives nice, there really isn't much you can do. Even if it looks brown, that doesn't mean much. It can still drive perfect for years to come. Since you are a D&F guy, if it drives nice, go for it. You got the rest..

I just reply to another thread. My two past 5 speed AT were perfect. When I sold it, but ATs were solid. My current 2014 6 speed have that "jerk" rare to occasionally. And I am a D&F guy every 25-30K. So there is a bit of luck in buying any used car.
    Last edited by GoLowDrew; Today at 12:41 AM.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread