Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Should I buy 4 or 5 tires

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  manualman 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2012 Odyssey EX-L with primacy mxv4 tires. I want to replace since after about 4 years and 25k they have some tire rot on all tires, a eraser size piece of rubber missing on one sidewall, and some wear on one section of tire. I do rotate regularly.

I was thinking of the [FONT=arial, sans-serif]MICHELIN PREMIER LTX 235/65R17 104H installed at Costco.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]The question is I have a full sized spare which is a primacy mxv4. Should I order a 5th MICHELIN PREMIER LTX to be used as the spare.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]What would I do with (I assume) a perfectly good primacy mxv4 if I was to replace?

Thank you.
[/FONT]

#2 ·
Sell the extra one on craigslist, someone will buy it.

It can't hurt to have a full size spare. We had a flat a few months ago and it was on a Sunday and not many places open and don't have the stock 18" size in stock, so I ended up with a no-name tire from NTB.

#3 ·
Any tire is not safe after 7 years since it was manufactured. Your spare MXV4 is at least 4 years old, maybe older. It will probably expire before the new tires are worn out.

If you do a lot of long trips (i.e. you would run far on the spare in case of a flat) and you want a high level of confidence in the spare, get a fifth LTX.

Dave

#4 ·
I generally agree with the 7 year rule but a tire that is stored inside the vehicle, out of the sunlight, will last much longer than when bolted on the car, exposed to the elements. I wouldn't be too concerned about a spare that has been stored in the vehicle. I'd definitely inspect it and determine its condition and then replace if it's showing signs of any problem.

#5 ·
great point on 7yr and inspecting. inspecting my spare may lead to the answer. i was also thinking if one of my new tires need to be replaced will I be able to get a replacement michelin premier xlt or will i then be forced to get 4 new tires to have 4 of the same again.

#6 ·
Just keep them matched on the same axle, not necessarily all four corners. If you should lose one of the new LTX later down the road, you may have to buy two even if the LTX is available. Ideally, the tread wear should be equal on each axle. On the front drive axle, different circumference tires can cause excessive wear on the differential.

Flats in the tread area of a tire can usually be repaired. So I wouldn't dwell too much at this time on the eventualities of dealing with an unrepairable tire.

Dave

#7 ·
Tires aging out is a big issue in the RV world. Consensus there is that 303 Aerospace Protectant is a good product for reducing the rate at which tires dry rot. It's like both sunscreen (moot point for a spare stored in a well) and inhibits ozone reactions too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.