Fun/useful add-ons for the Odyssey?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fun/useful add-ons for the Odyssey?

Recently bought a 2015 EX-L and am wondering what sorts of fun/useful/tech items people have bought for their Odysseys (either interior or exterior). Here's my list.

- First thing I bought was WeatherTech floor mats (great protection and huge improvement over the carpet)
    - Seat protectors for our car seats ($12 each)
    - Seat-back protectors for back of front seats ($17 for set of two)
    - Portable jumpstarter ($50). Purchased this for my last van, which had starting issues. Hopefully won't need it with the Odyssey.
    - One of those extendable snow brushes (gift)

Curious to see what others have added.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I keep jumper cables, bungee cords, ratcheting tie straps and a few other things in my van. I'm planning on adding a few basic items in case I / we get stranded in the car for any reason (food/water/blanket).

Beyond that... the Weather Tech floor mats sound like a good one to have.
    2010 Blue Honda Odyssey Braunability Entervan (lowered floor side entry wheelchair van)
    2002 Gold Honda Odyssey, the "hot spare" (wheelchair platform lift in back)

seat protectors? as in seat covers? why not enjoy the leather?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by iwantansi View Post
    seat protectors? as in seat covers? why not enjoy the leather?
    Seat protectors are different from seat covers.

Seat protectors are pieces of plastic or foam rubber intended to keep the bases of child car seats from deforming the vehicle's seats and upholstery. They generally only cover the area that the car seats rest on.

As a tech add-on, I found our dashcam very easy to add. There's no shortage of lying scum out there just waiting to jump at the chance to screw you and your insurance company. Yes, it did happen to us and yes, I am still bitter about it.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, VCMuzzler, Street Guardian dashcam

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over those who can't read them. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by CroMath View Post
    Seat protectors are different from seat covers.

Seat protectors are pieces of plastic or foam rubber intended to keep the bases of child car seats from deforming the vehicle's seats and upholstery. They generally only cover the area that the car seats rest on.

As a tech add-on, I found our dashcam very easy to add. There's no shortage of lying scum out there just waiting to jump at the chance to screw you and your insurance company. Yes, it did happen to us and yes, I am still bitter about it.
    Right, the seat protectors just cover the lower part of back seats and protect against car seat indentation and all the crumbs and other dirt that my kids get all over. I remove the car seats once every few weeks and vacuum in there, and it's amazing how much stuff ends up on them.

Dash cam sounds interesting. Which one did you get?

Forgot to add that we'll soon be having a class III tow hitch installed. We have a small pop-up camper. Also will install a transmission cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by casperEXL View Post
    Dash cam sounds interesting. Which one did you get?
    We got the Street Guardian SGZC12SS, which is probably an obsolete model by now - we've had it for just over a year.

I did a good bit of reading over on dashcamtalk.com before we bought and the Street Guardian dash cams are quite well regarded over there. They are well supported by their manufacturer and they use very high quality optical parts. I found ours on Amazon on sale, which made the decision to choose them even easier.

The particular model I chose is a relatively basic one - no GPS and no wireless functionality but still very good quality optics. I didn't want the GPS function because I don't want to have the dash cam that is supposed to be protecting my interests incriminate me by showing a police officer that somewhere along the way I was doing 68 km/h in a 60 km/h zone. I don't think the wireless connectivity that some dash cams offer is worth the money or the hassle. Popping the SD card out of the camera and inserting it into a reader on our PC is not exactly onerous.

Don't waste your time or money on an el-cheapo dash cam; it's not worth it. Pay special attention to low light sensitivity and how much you can see at nighttime. Sample images and video clips for all kinds of brands are not hard to find online.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, VCMuzzler, Street Guardian dashcam

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over those who can't read them. - Mark Twain

I have WeatherTech floor mats, a dash cam (gift from my fiancee), and just bought the three cargo bags that go in the well behind the 3rd row seats. Good for groceries and storing stuff that I keep in the van, like a sand bag and targets for shooting, etc.
    2016 Odyssey, EX-L, Smoky Topaz Metallic

06 Ford Ranger Ext. cab Sport

G1wh dashcam
    Weathertech floor liner
    Coverking neoprene seat covers for 2nd and 3rd rows
    Coverking tactical seat covers for 1st row (mainly more storage space with the Molle pouches, and nylon because I slide in and out)
    Gopower 300 watt inverter

Work in progress:
    Cb radio
    Colored lights that can be seen externally for when i lead a convoy
    Affordable 100% copper 4 gauge jumper cable
    2nd AGM battery kept inside cabin, with battery isolater
    Last edited by couchpotato013; 03-15-2017 at 10:02 AM.

My 11 TE, has only been in my possession for a week. I have door edge guards and rear cargo mat enroute now. Will be getting weather tech mats and a dash cam shortly. Will also have to get aftermarket crossbars since the stupid factory ones aren't adjustable.

I need to order and install a hitch as well. We roll with a cargo basket in the rear and a Thule XL cargo box on top for long road trips.

Quote Originally Posted by couchpotato013 View Post
    G1wh dashcam
    Weathertech floor liner
    Coverking neoprene seat covers for 2nd and 3rd rows
    Coverking tactical seat covers for 1st row (mainly more storage space with the Molle pouches, and nylon because I slide in and out)
    Gopower 300 watt inverter

Work in progress:
    Cb radio
    Colored lights that can be seen externally for when i lead a convoy
    Affordable 100% copper 4 gauge jumper cable
    2nd AGM battery kept inside cabin, with battery isolater
    Couch,

I tried to search for coverking tact covers on amazon and none said they fit my 2011. Where did you get yours?

Quote Originally Posted by ground chuck View Post
    Couch,

I tried to search for coverking tact covers on amazon and none said they fit my 2011. Where did you get yours?
    Coverking seat covers are made to order. I ordered mine from Costco.com (search for coverking on the website)

But I received the seat covers custom fitted for the 2nd row, including the tiny middle seat, instead of the 1st row like I thought I had selected. I'm surprised they even made it for the 40/20/40 2nd row, as the main coverking website lists it as 1st row only. I used the Costco no hassle return policy, as I had ordered the neoprene 2nd row as part of the same order.

Was thinking of just keeping the incorrect order, but the headrest covers didn't fit. Front row headrests are slightly bigger than 2nd row. And seat covers was lacking the side airbag cutouts. Could've taken a knife to it to make it work, but I didn't feel like halfassing the 1st row for how much it costs.

My first row is still bare, as my support ticket to Coverking has been open for 7 days unanswered. Wanted to make sure if it was user error, or Costco error, and what I would end up receiving if I place my order again as no matter what option I choose at Costco it results in the same part#.

You can also order directly from CoverKing, but for a higher price (Mine is a $110 difference) than Costco.

I would post links, but my post count is too low and won't let me.

Coverking seat covers are made to order. I ordered mine from Costco.com (search for coverking on the website)

But I received the seat covers custom fitted for the 2nd row, including the tiny middle seat, instead of the 1st row like I thought I had selected. I'm surprised they even made it for the 40/20/40 2nd row, as the main coverking website lists it as 1st row only. I used the Costco no hassle return policy, as I had ordered the neoprene 2nd row as part of the same order.

Was thinking of just keeping the incorrect order, but the headrest covers didn't fit. Front row headrests are slightly bigger than 2nd row. And seat covers was lacking the side airbag cutouts. Could've taken a knife to it to make it work, but I didn't feel like halfassing the 1st row for how much it costs.

My first row is still bare, as my support ticket to Coverking has been open for 7 days unanswered. Wanted to make sure if it was user error, or Costco error, and what I would end up receiving if I place my order again as no matter what option I choose at Costco it results in the same part#.

You can also order directly from CoverKing, but for a higher price (Mine is a $110 difference) than Costco.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Found them on Costco site. IMO, it seems like the front seat ones would put a target on your vehicle as anyone would be able to see the molle if they looked in. Especially if your in a pro ccw state. I'm in Maryland and ccw are hard to come by which would make it even more of a target if that makes any sense.

Wet okole neoprene seat covers for the first row. Factory covers for the second and third row. Oem door guards, factory floor mats, wanting to replace the factory sub with something else that doesn't sound like crap. Haven't gotten into that can of worms yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by ground chuck View Post
    Found them on Costco site. IMO, it seems like the front seat ones would put a target on your vehicle as anyone would be able to see the molle if they looked in. Especially if your in a pro ccw state. I'm in Maryland and ccw are hard to come by which would make it even more of a target if that makes any sense.
    I'm in Florida, so definetely pro CCW state. I always keep the window shades up in the 2nd row. Plus we drive soccer mom minivans, not trucks with NRA stickers . I'm assuming mini van status gets us ignored by lots of people.

The only things that would draw attention easily is the CB antenna (probably choose Wilson 1000). The molle packs are mainly to hold maps of the region, state, and country, as well as some tools and cables to make my hardwired inverter go mobile such as a 10mm wrench or whatever nut is used on the battery terminals. Only thing visible looking in through the driver's window is a cheap chinese dashcam. Nothing visible through the sliding doors due to tint and window shades. 3rd row is either up with blanket over trunk compartment, or down and looks like someone sleeps there.

The ammo is hidden under a pink blanket that my friend was throwing out .

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread