Can I just leave headlights ON?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I just leave headlights ON?

Can I just leave headlights ON?

Sorry if his has been hashed out before. I just got a 17 Odyssey LX and was wondering - Is there any issue with leaving the headlights in the ON position and never worry about them?

I do this with my Camry and my previous RAV4 as I prefer not to accidentally forget to switch from DRL to ON at night (the LX doesn't have AUTO).

On the Odyssey, the lights seem to turn off automatically once I lock the doors after getting out. There is even a configurable timer for this auto off which I've switched to 0 seconds. However I am confused because I still get the warning chime, so wanted to make sure there isn't an issue with doing this.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The chime is to let you know you left the lights on. Of course, the lights will turn themselves off as long as everything is working properly.
    2015 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Set to Auto. DRL and lights/taillights will cut on when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Logdog167 View Post
    Sorry if his has been hashed out before. I just got a 17 Odyssey LX and was wondering - Is there any issue with leaving the headlights in the ON position and never worry about them?

I do this with my Camry and my previous RAV4 as I prefer not to accidentally forget to switch from DRL to ON at night (the LX doesn't have AUTO).

On the Odyssey, the lights seem to turn off automatically once I lock the doors after getting out. There is even a configurable timer for this auto off which I've switched to 0 seconds. However I am confused because I still get the warning chime, so wanted to make sure there isn't an issue with doing this.

Thanks in advance!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Ok so I take it there is no issue with always leaving the lights in the On position (that is daytime, nighttime, and when turning the car off.

Seems weird that there is a chime that you left the lights on when the lights turn off automatically.

Also, as I mentioned the LX doesn't have Auto, so I can't do that.

Seems weird that there is a chime that you left the lights on when the lights turn off automatically.
    Well not everyone locks their doors all the time. And in that case, I think there's a 2 hour timer before the lights are cut off, which would not be very good for the battery.

One of my recent rentals had auto-off headlights. The headlight switch was already in the auto position and I left it that way for the duration. Very convenient.

It's also safer because of the always-lit instrument panel. It would be easy to not realize that the headlights are not on. I often see cars driving with no tail lights. I flash them but the driver doesn't get the message.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    I often see cars driving with no tail lights. I flash them but the driver doesn't get the message.
    Same here. I find it odd that we have mandatory DRL but no always-on tail lights.

Ok so I take it there is no issue with always leaving the lights in the On position (that is daytime, nighttime, and when turning the car off.

Also, as I mentioned the LX doesn't have Auto, so I can't do that.
    My 2006 EXL-RES doesn't have Auto-On headlights either . Go figure, how cheap can Honda get. Had a 1986 car way back when and it even had auto-on headlights.

All right let me get this straight.

On the toyota, you can turn off the DRLs by switching it to the OFF position. Switching it to the AUTO position will turn ON the DRLs, will turn on the headlights when its dark, and WILL NOT chime when you have the door open or closed at night. The headlights will shut off after 15 or 30 seconds regardless if the door is open or not. Now if you turn on the headlights manually (Turning the switch to the headlight icon) it WILL chime when you open the door and the headlights WILL remain on IF the door is not closed. If you shut the door then it will turn off after 30 seconds or 1 minute.

On the Honda, You CANNOT turn off the DRLs with the switch unless you first apply the E brake and then start the car. Everything else is the same as the toyota.
    2017 Honda Odyssey TE - OEM Footwell LED Mod - LED Rear Reflectors -
    2017 Honda Accord EX-L
    2014 Honda Civic EX-L
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L (USDM AF!) VCMuzller - Catless Down Pipes - Test Pipe - Custom SRI/CAI - TB Coolant Bypass - Thermal Gaskets - Coilovers - Tuned

As someone who never locks their doors at home, this would be a bad idea, but I do find it frustrating that every Saab (and Subaru) I ever owned had auto head (and tail) lights, but not a 'safer' minivan that's a decade newer than any of those guys... The difference in the cost of the switch and hardware cannot be more than $5-10... I guess it's a differentiation "feature"...

[QUOTE=woodpecker;1853689]Same here. I find it odd that we have mandatory DRL but no always

The DRLs are for other cars seeing you coming so they don't pull out in front of you. Under certain conditions in the daytime I'll just turn the headlights (and tail lights) on, like in precipitation, starting to get dark, fog, etc. to have better visibility from behind. Doesn't hurt anything and might prevent getting hit.
    2015 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Quote Originally Posted by Navar View Post
    As someone who never locks their doors at home, this would be a bad idea, but I do find it frustrating that every Saab (and Subaru) I ever owned had auto head (and tail) lights, but not a 'safer' minivan that's a decade newer than any of those guys... The difference in the cost of the switch and hardware cannot be more than $5-10... I guess it's a differentiation "feature"...
    $5-10 on a million cars is $5-10M. I agree with you but it's not an insignificant number....and considering they have to add all the government mandated items and still hope to sell the vehicle at a price point at which people will decide to purchase it.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread