vcmuzzler
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vcmuzzler

vcmuzzler

I am looking to buy a 4th gen Odyssey in the next few months and have read up on the VCMuzzler. I have friends with a 2010 EX L with over 120,000 miles on their Odyssey. They haven't had any of the problems the Muzzler is supposed to prevent. Is there something in the way they drive etc. or did they just get a "good one". Comments please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum!

There seems to be no hard-and-fast way to know whether a particular vehicle is going to have VCM problems. Some people (like your friends) are fortunate to get a really good one, while others are far less lucky.

The biggest problem as far as I'm concerned is that there is no way to tell in advance whether you will fall into the lucky group or the unlucky group. If there was, then you simply don't buy the van that is going to fall into the unlucky group, right? But there isn't.

The one thing that seems certain is that if you end up with a van that develops VCM-related problems, those problems are practically never small. The repairs are involved, invasive and expensive. But that topic has been thrashed to death in countless other threads.

A VCM suppression device like the VCMuzzler is a relatively cheap and simple way to ensure you place yourself into the lucky group. And no, there is no way to be certain whether the VCMuzzler has actually prevented a problem, because there is no way to know up front whether one was going to occur. A VCMuzzler is simply a very effective way to hedge your bet. I would recommend one to you wholeheartedly. There is really no downside to suppressing VCM.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, VCMuzzler, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less. - Eric Shinseki

Not every van with VCM has vibration or oil control problems. But for those that do, it's either unpleasant to drive or expensive to repair the damage (if not under warranty).

VCMuzzler is like insurance - maybe you benefit from it, maybe you don't. But you are covered either way.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys for your comments. I agree the Muzzler is cheap insurance. and I'm impressed by how clever it works and how easy it is to install.

Second question. I would be looking for an Odyssey with about 50,000 miles due to selling price. Would the damage to the engine have already set in and how can I determine if the engine is healthy before I buy?

A good prepurchase inspection by someone familiar with Honda and the VCM problems is always money well spent. If it were me I'd pull the rear plugs and inspect them. I'd also connect a scan tool and observe some live data on the vehicle, as well as check for recent code clearing.

On the VCM...I have a friend with a 2009 Honda Pilot. About a year ago, he had 155K on the clock when I did a timing belt, spark plug, and valve adjustment job for him. His plugs looked good but I recommended to him that he install the VCMuzzler to prevent any future problems. He took my suggestion under advisement, checked out the cost, and then did nothing. A couple of months ago, 20K+ later, he mentioned to me that his oil consumption has suddenly jumped to about a quart every 500 miles. The oil turns black quickly. He hasn't had any misfire codes, yet, though. When he brought it by I found it also has a knocking noise coming from the upper end of the engine somewhere. I haven't pulled the rear plugs to inspect but I know I'll find fouling.

The moral of the story is everything can appear fine and then suddenly there is a problem. He now has the Muzzler installed and is hoping that the problems will reverse themselves. If you're fortunate enough to know about the Muzzler then you are lucky enough to be able to install it before there is a problem. I installed mine at around 135K after never having a single hint of a problem in my VCM system. I like knowing I'm probably not going to have VCM problems.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Thanks for the advise, John.

Decided to place my order for my 2016 Ody and 2008 Pilot...

Quote Originally Posted by Citrusbob View Post

Second question. I would be looking for an Odyssey with about 50,000 miles due to selling price. Would the damage to the engine have already set in and how can I determine if the engine is healthy before I buy?
    On my two past VCM J35 V6 vehicles, didn't have any issues, other than spark plug fouling. Both occurred about 65-67K miles, like clock work. So IMO, if you are looking at a 50K miles Ody, it may be coming up. Many owners (without issues) in the past just change the spark plugs, and be good to go.

I would not shy away from it if you found a good used car (without issues). Just know that if and when it happens, it's not a big deal. It's just spark plugs going bad.

I have a 2016 TE. Get the VCM for sure. I keep my cars til 200k miles or at least 10 years -I expect minimal issues in those 10 years as well. Therefore, I don't need extra headaches like a fuel efficiency technology "messing" up my plan.

Get the muzzler! I recently bought an 09 ody touring with 124k miles and read up on as much as i could and the vcm was the to do thing to put down.

I drove mine for about 2k miles and could see no problems with the vcm that usually happen but i had some hesitation and weird acceleration issues i couldn't pinpoint untill i started watching that icon. sure enough alwars happened with it on.

installed a muzzler this weekend and poof, its acting like a normal vehicle. dosent feel sluggish at all going uphill or cruising in town. I have my v6 back in all its glory.

money well spent symptoms or not. if i ever buy a brand new vehicle that the muzzler works on, you can bet good money its gonna be installed before i leave the lot with it.

im going to see if i can get or make a potentiometer(or some sort of in line dial) to further fine tune it on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by YogiRedbeard View Post
    ... im going to see if i can get or make a potentiometer(or some sort of in line dial) to further fine tune it on the fly.
    Not sure why this would be necessary. The point of the muzzler is to prevent the VCM from turning on at ALL, presumably, if it's not working as advertised, changing the resistor to an appropriate one will correct the issue. If you install a pot and it gets turned, improperly you are def going to be popping a CEL - while I'm sure there is no fear of you doing this, I put kids in my van Personally, I can see the advantage both of having it installed (mainly performance) and not having it installed (3-5mpg where we live). I would simply put a switch in place to either switch it on, or off, enabling or disabling the muzzler on the fly.

Actually, the idea is NOT to disable VCM 100% of the time. The engine temperature varies too much to get to that point. If you read the FAQ's the goal is to have it disabled MOST of the time. If you try to disable it ALL of the time you will most likely pop a check engine light. You want the VCM to be off at cruise speed. In the summer time it's possible that some stop and go driving will heat the engine up enough to enable VCM for a short while after sitting at a traffic light but usually VCM will be disabled again after 30 seconds to a minute or so.

There is a member here named Vcmtuner who has made the same thing with a variable resistor and it seems to work just fine.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

LOL, so the point is to turn off VCM as much as practical - but NOT all the time? Well, I guess that makes absolutely no sense to me I mean, obviously you guys are not fans of the VCM. Fair enough. But I would think you want it (the GOAL is to have it) off 100% of the time - that this was the point of the muzzler. I mean the muzzler is a simple easy (ingenious even) hack, but it wouldn't be that much more difficult to readout the thermostat's signal and adjust the resistance of the muzzler dynamically. Since (as has been pointed out to me) there is no longer a VCM indicator (apparently the ECO light does NOT indicate vcm is active any longer), putting a simple pot in the circuit is going to be guess work as to when and how much to adjust the resistance.

Yes, the ultimate goal is to disable it as much as possible, including permanently and completely. However, the VCMuzzler's goal, which is what I was referring to, is not to do that as it eventually will set a check engine light if you use enough resistance to never have VCM engage. It will reduce the VCM engagement enough to reduce the negative side effects. Even Honda's "reprogramming" simply activates the cylinders periodically during ECO mode to help prevent the problems.

I do know of research going on out there on a device that would dynamically control the ECT1 temp reading but there is still the risk of setting a check engine light (P0128 code) if the PCM sees a temp it doesn't like.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

You guys are going back and forth on the same side of the issue. Of course the objective is to minimize VCM activation and the extreme limit of that is no activations at all.

I'd say the practical limit (of let's say 95% suppression) is sufficient to achieve the desired effect which is really about engine performance and longevity. Manipulating VCM is just the means to that end. So if VCM kicks on so infrequently that resulting engine damage doesn't occur, then why worry about those few times it kicks on.

I saw the ECO light in our Ody for the first time since about last September - the result of a long winter and a cool spring in Calgary. My reaction to seeing the ECO light was mild bemusement. I don't care if it kicks on for a minute or so. I haven't seen the darn thing at all in 8 months. It'll be fine.

Trying to eliminate every last VCM activation is more trouble than it's worth.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread