child proof door locks - cant open the doors
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: child proof door locks - cant open the doors

child proof door locks - cant open the doors

we seem to have inadvertently turned the childproof door locks on. i now cannot open the door from the inside or the outside. Does anyone know how to open the doors. the manual says i should push the lock tab up , but the door is closed and i cannot get to the lock tab - help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

With the lock on, the door should still open from the outside. Am I missing something? It seems you have a door problem or something is stuck in your door.

As to reaching to the lock, well, if you did that to both your doors, one of you have to crawl into the back to open the lock I guess.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

you arent missing anything, the door wont open from the outside - the manual says to just flick the tab up, but with the door closed i cant get to the tab -- if you have any other ideas, I;ll take em
    thanks.

Whatever it is, it is not the child proof lock mechanism (if it is working properly of course). I have them set and the doors open from the outside with no issue (powered/manually/via the remote)...

I assume you have the the power doors so make sure they are enabled (switched on) and try opening them with the remote or by pulling the handle as usual if you haven't done so. I know it sounds stupid, but they are heavy when opening w/o power and, if it is very cold or there is snow/freezing rain, the insulation rubber tends to "glue" the doors to the frame, making them feel like they are stuck. It has happened to me twice already during these past rainy/cold weeks, you can ever hear an unsticking noise when opening. I believe this will go away as the rubber's surface starts wearing off

My 2 cents

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

When you say it won't open from the outside are you referring to manually opening it with the handle? Try the dashboard switch or your remote.

If that's not it, close everything and lock the car with the keyfob then unlock all.

FYI the childsafe lockout prevents them from opening with the inside handle or switch. The "parental" switch up front, the exterior handle, and the keyfob should all still work.

Is it just the driver's side sliding door? Make sure the fuel door is shut completely.
    2011 Smoky Topaz Metallic Odyssey EX-L w/ Nav

Originally posted by hasenpfeffer
    Is it just the driver's side sliding door? Make sure the fuel door is shut completely.
    Yep good one

Can it be that they are frozen shut? It has happened to us. The snow melts in the sun and the temp drops below freezing; the doors are then frozen shut by ice.
    TeamTMS Group
    our family owns several Honda and Acura cars

Fuel door -- genius !!
    Thanks it worked, my wife happened to get gas just before all this started.
    But is that some sort of design flaw? do i need to get it serviced sometime soon.
    Nice job hasenpfeffer !

Um its working as designed. You don't want your door to open on you while you're filling up do you?

Close the lid completely and the door should work. Except, if you bend a metal plate too far, the door won't trigger a switch indicating the door (the fuel filler door is what I mean) won't indicate that its shut which in turn won't allow your sliding door to open.

You might want to fill in more details with your questions as the last question too is lacking details. Do you still have the problem? Is the fuel filler door fully shut? Was it open a bit when you were having issues? ......

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

not a flaw, it's by design. the day i brought mine home, i opened the gas cover by mistake with the driver's side sliding door open. it wouldn't close so i had to sneak a ruler in there and close the gas door. unless that refuel door is shut, the sliding door appears to be disabled.

Originally posted by Dfisch
    Fuel door -- genius !!
    Thanks it worked, my wife happened to get gas just before all this started.
    But is that some sort of design flaw? do i need to get it serviced sometime soon.
    Nice job hasenpfeffer !

Originally posted by dvpatel

You might want to fill in more details with your questions as the last question too is lacking details

Plus the post was made in plural, as in doors, locks...

But cool, issue solved, that's what counts

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

note that you can override the feature if necessary by manually working the lock tab several times until it stays unlocked.

Originally posted by vqdriver
    not a flaw, it's by design. the day i brought mine home, i opened the gas cover by mistake with the driver's side sliding door open. it wouldn't close so i had to sneak a ruler in there and close the gas door. unless that refuel door is shut, the sliding door appears to be disabled.
    my wife just mentioned that if honda was smart enough to make it so the sliding door won't open while the fuel door is open, why didn't they use the same brains and make it so you can't open the fuel door while the sliding door is open...duh...

Originally posted by hasenpfeffer
    my wife just mentioned that if honda was smart enough to make it so the sliding door won't open while the fuel door is open, why didn't they use the same brains and make it so you can't open the fuel door while the sliding door is open...duh...
    Yep. Absolutely right on that one. Why let one open the fuel filler while the sliding door is open and then disable the sliding door. Duh indeed.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements