Rear Entertainment system
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear Entertainment system

Rear Entertainment system

Guys,

I jut got new 2011 EX-L, I didn't like their OEM RES. Do you guys have any good RES to add-on? I'd like to Touring Elite system, but I don't think I can get one. Any recommendation? thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

So if you like the Elite RES, Do you then need the 2 screens?

If not this is one of the best I've seen:
    Alpine PKG-RSE2 10.2" overhead video monitor with built-in DVD player at Crutchfield Signature

Otherwise the headrest ones are nice and non-obtrusive for the rear mirror. They have the most common headrest colors:
    ESS Headrest Video Package (Gray) Two replacement headrests with built-in 9" video screens

Both can be paired with wireless headphones. Note the 2nd one is just the headrest screens, still needs the DVD player.

I like Crutchfield because they seem to have good install experience and money back guarantee (for whatever is worth). Just give them a buzz to ensure they are suitable for the 2011, the site confirms so but you never know

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoat View Post
    So if you like the Elite RES, Do you then need the 2 screens?

If not this is one of the best I've seen:
    Alpine PKG-RSE2 10.2" overhead video monitor with built-in DVD player at Crutchfield Signature

Otherwise the headrest ones are nice and non-obtrusive for the rear mirror. They have the most common headrest colors:
    ESS Headrest Video Package (Gray) Two replacement headrests with built-in 9" video screens

Both can be paired with wireless headphones. Note the 2nd one is just the headrest screens, still needs the DVD player.

I like Crutchfield because they seem to have good install experience and money back guarantee (for whatever is worth). Just give them a buzz to ensure they are suitable for the 2011, the site confirms so but you never know
    i'd avoid using head rest mounted ones in the 2nd row as the new odyssey has active head restraints.

personally, my wife and i are just using an ipad mount from RAM mounts to let our girls watch movies.
    2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L: Polished Metal Metallic (bought 1/16/11) 5AT
    2008 Honda Civic Si Sedan: Fiji Blue Pearl (bought 02/16/08, sold 9/6/09) 6MT
    2008 Honda Civic LX Sedan: Tango Red Pearl (bought 2/16/08) 5MT
    2007 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD: Whistler Silver Metallic (bought 9/26/07, traded 1/16/11) 5AT
    1998 Honda Civic DX Coupe: Vogue Silver Metallic (bought 6/23/03, sold 2/17/08) 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
    i'd avoid using head rest mounted ones in the 2nd row as the new odyssey has active head restraints.
    Good point. If that is important and aesthetics is not an issue, then there are more and less expensive options (was it Best Buy where I saw a nice headrest install kit?)

Good point. If that is important and aesthetics is not an issue, then there are more and less expensive options (was it Best Buy where I saw a nice headrest install kit?)
    personally, anything that has the potential to keep me from being permanently paralyzed... is pretty important.
    2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L: Polished Metal Metallic (bought 1/16/11) 5AT
    2008 Honda Civic Si Sedan: Fiji Blue Pearl (bought 02/16/08, sold 9/6/09) 6MT
    2008 Honda Civic LX Sedan: Tango Red Pearl (bought 2/16/08) 5MT
    2007 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD: Whistler Silver Metallic (bought 9/26/07, traded 1/16/11) 5AT
    1998 Honda Civic DX Coupe: Vogue Silver Metallic (bought 6/23/03, sold 2/17/08) 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
    personally, anything that has the potential to keep me from being permanently paralyzed... is pretty important.
    To the same degree I'm worried about flying objects like iPads during an accident. I've seen the RAM mounts in first row seats, but now in 2nd/3rd rows. Can you share a pic of your Odyssey with it?

For the player itself, I'd personally eye the one that supports Blu-rays:
    Audiovox shows off the industry's first in-car Blu-ray player, the AVDBR1 -- Engadget

Best Buy does have a nice headrest set-up and its not as expensive, or complicated as some that I have come across. My son's have finally convinced me to add the DVD to our Ody and I am torn between just getting the Headrest player or experimenting with trying to locate a RES (player - not the screen as I think the Honda screen is too small) from a salvage yard and seeing if I can hook this up with either the screens (as posted in a previous post) in the headrests or the larger screens that roof mount. Any of you guys have some thoughts or constructive advise on this project?
    2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L NAV:
    Exterior Color: Starlight Silver Metallic Clearcoat NH-638M-4
    Interior Color: Quartz
    Mileage: 194.000+

Tranny #2 (93.000-miles), Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring, Hayden rapid cool transmission cooler, Honda (III) hitch, Built-in radar and 17" RES.

Quote Originally Posted by cmblair76 View Post
    Best Buy does have a nice headrest set-up and its not as expensive, or complicated as some that I have come across. My son's have finally convinced me to add the DVD to our Ody and I am torn between just getting the Headrest player or experimenting with trying to locate a RES (player - not the screen as I think the Honda screen is too small) from a salvage yard and seeing if I can hook this up with either the screens (as posted in a previous post) in the headrests or the larger screens that roof mount. Any of you guys have some thoughts or constructive advise on this project?
    Just be careful with having BB add anything to your car/electrical system. personally I'd rather pay more at proffessional shop.

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements