Thoughts between EX-L w Navi and Touring?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts between EX-L w Navi and Touring?

Smile Thoughts between EX-L w Navi and Touring?

I'm reading here and hearing from two dealers that the Touring is far more popular than the EX-L w Navi. Trying to figure out what I'm missing in that equation. Thank you in advance for your help!
    Differences (that I'm aware of):
    1) 6spd vs 5spd - is this really a big deal? Fuel econ wise it's 4.5%, 12000 miles/yr and that's just $100 in gasoline at these crazy prices (or $8/mo.) Or is there a noticable difference in some other way too between these transmissions?
    2) park sensors vs just having the backup camera - is it tough to park the Ody in the front where the sensors are a lifesaver?
    3) rear ent - worthless for me personally, kids use ipads
    4) 3rd row sunshade - is this a big deal for people? Is the window tint not enough?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

1) I had a 2003 that developed "the" transmission problem. I'm not interested in beta-testing a new Honda transmission. The 5A was fine for me.
    2) Parking sensors can be added to any model at the dealer:
    2011 Honda Odyssey - Accessory Detail - Official Honda Site
    3) The EXL with Nav has The same RES as the Touring. The Touring Elite has an upgraded system.
    4) Mine are down and the kids aren't allowed to touch them.
    2011 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES, Silver/Truffle
    Purchased new - April, 2011
    $33,900 + TT&L
    Price included Tint, All-Weather Mats, Mud Guards, Moon Roof deflector, Wheel Locks, 2nd Row Seat Covers, 3rd Row Seat Covers, Cargo Liner, Cargo Net, 6yr/100k 3rd party Warranty

2003 Honda Odyssey EXL, Sagebrush/Quartz -
    Purchased used - March, 2006 with 45,349 miles
    $16,300 + TT&L
    Price included Tint, Mud Guards, Wheel Locks, Cargo Liner
    Traded - April, 2011, with 100,075 miles
    $8000 trade credit

This is EXACTLY where I was 3 weeks ago.

I ended up with the touring. I took a look at the gear ratios that Honda publishes and came to the conclusion that the 6 speed should accelerate quicker in the low gears and still give you slightly better fuel economy on the highway.

That was the main reason why I went Touring over EX-L + Nav. Like you, I think the RES isn't worth it for us. I mean, if we keep the car 10+ years, will there even be DVDs? Also, I thought the visual quality was shockingly low compared to the front screen.

I was intrigued by the HDMI input in the Elite, but couldn't see myself paying extra to enhance the RES that I didn't really want.

The parking sensors seem to be worth it. I'm still getting the hang of them, but I think it's good to have.

I hear the blind spot detectors are surprisingly useful, but again I didn't want to go another grade up just to get it.

The 3rd row shades are probably useful if you have people there often. I actually pulled it up today for the first time and although that was a plus wen deciding to go with the touring, I ultimately think I could have easily lived without it.

So for me, I really think the perfect van would have been EX-L + Nav with 6-speed and parking and blind-spot sensors!

Quote Originally Posted by techbrute View Post
    1) I had a 2003 that developed "the" transmission problem. I'm not interested in beta-testing a new Honda transmission. The 5A was fine for me.
    2) Parking sensors can be added to any model at the dealer:
    3) The EXL with Nav has The same RES as the Touring. The Touring Elite has an upgraded system.
    4) Mine are down and the kids aren't allowed to touch them.
    You do realize the 6spd auto on the Touring is not new, it came out last year in the MDX and so far has been fine, no issues... so you wouldn't be "Beta-testing" as you called it, the new transmission. My 2003 never had a transmission problem at all, even when I sold it last year...

After driving both back to back before buying our touring elite, the 6spd auto is better to downshift and better acceleration at all speeds... and 1 mpg better on highway trips is a little added extra bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by typeshige View Post
    This is EXACTLY where I was 3 weeks ago.

I ended up with the touring. I took a look at the gear ratios that Honda publishes and came to the conclusion that the 6 speed should accelerate quicker in the low gears and still give you slightly better fuel economy on the highway.

That was the main reason why I went Touring over EX-L + Nav. Like you, I think the RES isn't worth it for us. I mean, if we keep the car 10+ years, will there even be DVDs? Also, I thought the visual quality was shockingly low compared to the front screen.

I was intrigued by the HDMI input in the Elite, but couldn't see myself paying extra to enhance the RES that I didn't really want.

The parking sensors seem to be worth it. I'm still getting the hang of them, but I think it's good to have.

I hear the blind spot detectors are surprisingly useful, but again I didn't want to go another grade up just to get it.

The 3rd row shades are probably useful if you have people there often. I actually pulled it up today for the first time and although that was a plus wen deciding to go with the touring, I ultimately think I could have easily lived without it.

So for me, I really think the perfect van would have been EX-L + Nav with 6-speed and parking and blind-spot sensors!
    Agreed, if the EXL had the 6spd auto I would have bought the EXL over the touring. I'm sure the 6spd auto will find it's way into the lower models eventually. I didn't feel like waiting

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
    I'm reading here and hearing from two dealers that the Touring is far more popular than the EX-L w Navi. Trying to figure out what I'm missing in that equation. Thank you in advance for your help!
    1) 6spd vs 5spd - is this really a big deal? Fuel econ wise it's 4.5%, 12000 miles/yr and that's just $100 in gasoline at these crazy prices (or $8/mo.) Or is there a noticable difference in some other way too between these transmissions?
    2) park sensors vs just having the backup camera - is it tough to park the Ody in the front where the sensors are a lifesaver?
    4) 3rd row sunshade - is this a big deal for people? Is the window tint not enough?
    You already know the answer from your questions. The EX-L is a value buy with allot of standard features. The Touring models are for people who want toys and don't mind paying for them. We've had our EX-RES for 2 months now. I don't find the 5 speed to be inadequate in any way and wouldn't have spent the $13,000 difference to get one and a bunch of toys I don't need to get our kids to and from school and to the cabin.

I was thinking the same as TYPESHIGE, that the EX-L, with 6-spd trans and the 18" tires would be perfect. Took an EX-L for test drive. Sitting in back seat was no different than my 2002 - same road noise and rattles. Bah.
    Then took the Touring for ride: Quiter all around, but, also note that the superb Odyssey handling has been dumbed-down to the point the steering feels numb -the women will like it.
    I did buy the Touring in Taffeta white, which took some dealing because, apparently, the color whitel has become scarce. At least here in New England.
    Nitpiking, I have many of the same squawks as you all here; The coin tray shouldn't be called a coin tray; The fit/finish isn't up to typical Honda standards; The body side moulding spoils the clean, 'crossover' styling; The interior lighting should be LED's, or, at least break-out the dimming option so the floor lights could be brighter.
    One more sqwak concerns the NAV. Although it is fast and finds GPS signals well, the few routings I have done have been disappointing because of the 'old school' algorithms used: It insisted on routing us the most direct way, which also happens to be the most heavy traffic. OTOH, google maps and Verizon VZ Navigator both mapped-out the longer, but, smarter (time-wise) route.
    On the plus side, I think it's the best looking of minivans, fuel economy has been right on the mark since day one, the sound system is finally something you enjoy.

Adding to that, the Touring got 18" instead of 17" wheels, plus fog lights(it's all about the look). The HDD in Touring got 15 Gig memory instead of 2 Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by oddy03 View Post
    You do realize the 6spd auto on the Touring is not new, it came out last year in the MDX and so far has been fine, no issues... so you wouldn't be "Beta-testing" as you called it, the new transmission. My 2003 never had a transmission problem at all, even when I sold it last year...

After driving both back to back before buying our touring elite, the 6spd auto is better to downshift and better acceleration at all speeds... and 1 mpg better on highway trips is a little added extra bonus.
    I'm really glad that you didn't have a problem with the transmission on your 2003. That doesn't make them good transmissions. As one of the MANY that DID have problems with the transmission on the second-Gen Odyssey, I'm VERY wary of the issue. Also, the 2003 wasn't the first year on the 5A, and there were still problems.

I hope that the 6A turns out to be a good transmission, but it's just not something that I would spend the extra money on. Heck, the only reason I got the RES was so I could get the color my wife wanted. I would have gotten the EXL, all things being equal.
    $33,900 + TT&L
    Price included Tint, All-Weather Mats, Mud Guards, Moon Roof deflector, Wheel Locks, 2nd Row Seat Covers, 3rd Row Seat Covers, Cargo Liner, Cargo Net, 6yr/100k 3rd party Warranty

$16,300 + TT&L
    $8000 trade credit

Quote Originally Posted by hxpz1d1 View Post
    Adding to that, the Touring got 18" instead of 17" wheels, plus fog lights(it's all about the look). The HDD in Touring got 15 Gig memory instead of 2 Gig.
    If you want fog lights:

The HDD drive size is a complete non-issue when making the decision. The stereo has a USB interface:
    Apple - iPod classic - Hold 40,000 songs in your pocket.
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ36-032G-A11/dp/B001T9CTS2/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1304165716&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer 32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive SDCZ36-032G-A11: Computer & Accessories[/ame]

Also, the 15gb HDD is specific to the Nav system, not the trim level. If you get the EXL with Nav, you get the 15gb HDD.
    $33,900 + TT&L

$16,300 + TT&L
    $8000 trade credit

Quote Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
    My wife and I went through something similar about 6 weeks ago and after lots of research and negotiation, finally decided on the EX-L w/ nav. I actually started a similar thread on this issue back then. If you haven't already, check it out as there was a lot of good feedback and recommendations.

Anyway, I would have bought the Touring for the right price but dealers in the DC area only had one or two available and weren't willing to negotiate. We don't travel enough to make use of the RES and 80% of my wife's driving is suburban, kid hauling.

We ended up contacting Criswell Honda in MD and they had an EX-L w/ nav in my wife's favorite color (mocha), at an excellent price and it was in-stock...they actually had about 15 nav models and that's why they were willing to deal. Easy negotiation with a very professional sales person and the Finance person got really close to Bob Leab's Honda Care price. I rolled the HC into the loan (as opposed to paying it OOP) and the OTD price was still a few grand below what the dealer wanted for a Touring before TTL. As nice as the Touring would have been, the EX-L w/ nav just made the most sense. Plus paying $40k for a minivan just wasn't appealing.

The extra Touring features, while very nice, weren't essentials and didn't justify the extra $$...at least not the way we use the car. I do like the nav model's rear-view camera - a lot. It works really well. Back up sensors would be great but the three different camera angles really helps with backing into spots.

Good luck...
    CINCYFAN
    '11 MDX w/ Tech (hers)

'10 BMW 328i xDrive (mine)

"The good works of my Wayne Foundation require that I stay above the brawl of politics." - Bruce Wayne

My reasons for buying the EX-L are pretty much the same as others so I won't take up space repeating that.

If you could buy a Touring without the RES, I would have bought it. We would never recoup the cost of that feature. As far as the NAV is concerned, at least that would get used although it would be a bear of a time to get my wife to actually use its full capabilities. She's not a bells and whistle person. Heck, I finally got her to start using the bluetooth. And, I do find her listening to XM so I might go for another year as long as the price is right.
    Bill
    SENIOR CHIEF UNITED STATES NAVY RETIRED
    24 yrs, 2 months, 28 days, 1 wake-up

2011 EX-L, Polished Metal, Splash guards and those spiffy Honda all-weather mats and cargo tray, Fog lights, OEM hitch and harness

2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax, SR5, TRD, Huskyliners, TRD Sway Bar,4x4, a very nice shade of black

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jbqwik View Post
    I was thinking the same as TYPESHIGE, that the EX-L, with 6-spd trans and the 18" tires would be perfect. Took an EX-L for test drive. Sitting in back seat was no different than my 2002 - same road noise and rattles. Bah.
    Then took the Touring for ride: Quiter all around, but, also note that the superb Odyssey handling has been dumbed-down to the point the steering feels numb -the women will like it.
    I did buy the Touring in Taffeta white, which took some dealing because, apparently, the color whitel has become scarce. At least here in New England.
    Nitpiking, I have many of the same squawks as you all here; The coin tray shouldn't be called a coin tray; The fit/finish isn't up to typical Honda standards; The body side moulding spoils the clean, 'crossover' styling; The interior lighting should be LED's, or, at least break-out the dimming option so the floor lights could be brighter.
    One more sqwak concerns the NAV. Although it is fast and finds GPS signals well, the few routings I have done have been disappointing because of the 'old school' algorithms used: It insisted on routing us the most direct way, which also happens to be the most heavy traffic. OTOH, google maps and Verizon VZ Navigator both mapped-out the longer, but, smarter (time-wise) route.
    On the plus side, I think it's the best looking of minivans, fuel economy has been right on the mark since day one, the sound system is finally something you enjoy.
    There is zero difference in interior noise between the Touring and any other 2011 Odyssey model. I tested both the EX-L and the Touring with a db meter on a highway and city road test. Both on the exact same roads and at the same speeds. And believe it or not, the "acoustic windshield" didn't make any difference in interior noise, although I understand it is a lighter assembly so it helps with fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam View Post
    I tested both the EX-L and the Touring with a db meter on a highway and city road test.
    Cool! Any comments from the sales folks?
    Bill

2011 EX-L, Polished Metal, Splash guards and those spiffy Honda all-weather mats and cargo tray, Fog lights, OEM hitch and harness

2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax, SR5, TRD, Huskyliners, TRD Sway Bar,4x4, a very nice shade of black

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam View Post
    And believe it or not, the "acoustic windshield" didn't make any difference in interior noise, although I understand it is a lighter assembly so it helps with fuel economy.
    In my neck of the woods, replacing the windshield is a matter of "when" not "if" since a lot of sand is used in the winter. I'll be interested to see if the replacement glass folks will have 2 types of windshields for the 2011+ when that time comes.
    Bill

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements