Sliding Door Opens 80% Part way
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sliding Door Opens 80% Part way

Unhappy Sliding Door Opens 80% Part way

My PASSENGER sliding door is operating fine in automatic and manual mode, but it opens about 4-6 inches less than the drivers side door. I looked in the tracks and everything looks fine, except there is a "catch" or lever that seems engaged on the passenger door. On the driver's side, this lever is retracted and allows the door to open all the way. No major issue, just a minor inconvenience. Anyone out there with an idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by msmith777 View Post
    My PASSENGER sliding door is operating fine in automatic and manual mode, but it opens about 4-6 inches less than the drivers side door. I looked in the tracks and everything looks fine, except there is a "catch" or lever that seems engaged on the passenger door. On the driver's side, this lever is retracted and allows the door to open all the way. No major issue, just a minor inconvenience. Anyone out there with an idea?
    If the window is down a few inches or more the door won't open all the way. If the windows are closed, I would guess something is broken that is making the door think the window is down.
    -- Regards

2006 Sage Brush Pearl Odyssey EX-L (would have been Touring, thanks PAX )

...........Spring.........................Summer.. .......................Fall....................... ...Winter............

Cool Yeah! That's it!

The driver's window was all the way up and sure enough, the passenger window was down. I even looked in the owner's manual to see and didn't find anything.

Why would Honda design a door that only opens part way if the window is down?

Quote Originally Posted by msmith777 View Post
    Why would Honda design a door that only opens part way if the window is down?
    So that it doesn't break your child's hand in case he/she had it sticking out the window. Pretty standard feature on the Oddy since the 2nd gen when the automatic sliding doors were introduced.

Each generation has this exact question multiple times.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Yeah, OK, finally got it...

I had a good weekend and wasn't thinking right...

And...we're coming from an 02 Ody which didn't have windows in the second row, so it was never a problem.

Those guys at Honda, always one step ahead!

I meant to say 3rd gen with windows but hadn't had coffee yet.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

[quote=msmith777;681422]The driver's window was all the way up and sure enough, the passenger window was down. I even looked in the owner's manual to see and didn't find anything.

Why would Honda design a door that only opens part way if the window is down?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by dvpatel View Post
    So that it doesn't break your child's hand in case he/she had it sticking out the window. Pretty standard feature on the Oddy since the 2nd gen when the automatic sliding doors were introduced.

Each generation has this exact question multiple times.
    I'm still going to go with - so it won't decapitate your child if their head is sticking out the window.

And I'll say it again next year.
    '08 EX-L

kae
    This happens with mine on the driver's side passenger door, but it only seems to happen when it's very hot outside. The door only partially opens. This usually happens when I leave work and the car has been shut up all day. I go out to open the door and the door only opens part way. Always wondered why. It makes sense that it would stop if the window was down, but I'm guessing that heat must do something to the switch to make it think that the window is down. Hmm... I guess I'll mention it to the dealer.

I never got this as a safety feature since the doors move so slowly it seems like a small risk. I have not investigated it on my ody yet but on my sienna I figured out where the catch was and would manually unstick it so I could open the door the whole way. Drove me nuts if I was parked on a hill and the door kept slipping down and hitting me as I was trying to buckle in a kid or whatever.

Now if they really want a safety feature in a car they should make windows that reverse if they hit resistance in closing. I've had two kids mash fingers in windows.
    4 kids in a blue 2012 Odyssey EX-L Elite w/ RES - Celestial Blue Metallic

former 2008 Sienna owner

Ah, I always wondered why it would occasionally only open part way. Didn't remember if the windows were open, but they must've been.
    I had always suspected that it would only open part way if the battery voltage was getting low in an effort to save battery life. But I guess I was wrong.
    2012 Odyssey EX-L

when it first happened to our van, i was freaking out ..
    '12 Odyssey EX-L - Smoky Topaz

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements