Securing Cargo
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Securing Cargo

Question Securing Cargo

I want to be able to secure cargo in order to avoid flying projetiles in case of an accident/rollover. The owner's manual says to securely tie down any cargo, but does not suggest how to go about this.

My plan was to purchase two elastic cargo nets - one the size of the cargo area when the third-row seats are up, and one the size when they are down. I'd then cover any cargo with the net.

I went out and checked for tie-down locations in the cargo area. There are supposed to be 8 cargo tie-down anchors. As far as I can see:
    * the second and third row seats each have three black bars a couple of inches above the floor that appear that you could hook a cargo net or tie-down straps onto them (6 anchors)
    * there are also the two large silver U-shaped hooks in the floor when the third row is stowed (where the third row attaches when the seats are up).
    * I think you could also clip onto the silver U-shaped hooks that the second row seats clip onto (the hooks that allow you to slide the seats into wide mode).

All of these attachment points look solid, but they are all toward the front of the cargo area. The only attachment points I can see in the rear of the cargo area are the four round plastic knobs designed to hold the hammock-type cargo net that Honda sells. I'm not confident that a large cargo net or tie-down straps could be anchored securely to those plastic pegs, or that the plastic pegs wouldn't break in an accident.

So, how do you tie down your cargo - what type of net or straps do you use and where do you attach it? Can you have extra cargo hooks added to the rear of the cargo area?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I don't tend to secure cargo too much, I know, I know, speed X weight = powerful projectile, but most of my cargo is way in the back at the bottom of the well and I'm the only one in the car usually. But last week I had a 200+ LB motorized wheelchair in the back with the 3rd row folded and wanted to secure it. I have the 3rd gen, so I don't know if this can be done with the 2011, but there is a LATCH hook for a child seat mounted on the back bumper inside the cargo well that worked perfectly. I had to use a small attachment to make it easily accessible with the the seats stowed, but I would trust that to hold just about as much as anything else. Its meant to hold a child seat in place after all.

I do know that Honda changed the latch setup for 2011, so the latch points may possibly be on the back of the 3rd row seat itself, making it useless for this. I don't really care about the LATCH system or securing child seats in general, so I don't follow it to know either way, but I'm sure someone else will.
    Last edited by Cntrtwnltd; 05-23-2011 at 06:28 PM.
    -- Regards

2006 Sage Brush Pearl Odyssey EX-L (would have been Touring, thanks PAX )

...........Spring.........................Summer.. .......................Fall....................... ...Winter............

See the Owners Manual page 556 for cargo hook locations. It looks like those round knobs are what they give you...

On a side note, I noticed the weight limits on page 553 when I was looking for the cargo info. Not that we necessarily would, but if we put 8 200 lb people in the van it would exceed the weight limit by 300lbs. If you are going to put 8 people in the van you better hope the average is 167 lbs or less....
    Amy

--
    2011 Touring Elite / Smoky Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by staypuppy View Post
    See the Owners Manual page 556 for cargo hook locations. It looks like those round knobs are what they give you...

On a side note, I noticed the weight limits on page 553 when I was looking for the cargo info. Not that we necessarily would, but if we put 8 200 lb people in the van it would exceed the weight limit by 300lbs. If you are going to put 8 people in the van you better hope the average is 167 lbs or less....
    I think I could provide at least 50 lbs of slack
    -- Regards

2006 Sage Brush Pearl Odyssey EX-L (would have been Touring, thanks PAX )

...........Spring.........................Summer.. .......................Fall....................... ...Winter............

I wish the tether hook was inside the back bumper, but in the '11 they're in the back of the seats. (I checked the owner's manual and the black bars that I noticed on the seat backs are for the tether anchors.)

I was surprised, too, at the maximum load weights. It would be quite easy to exceed them if you were loaded up with passengers and luggage for a long trip.

I was at the service department today, and asked whether I could have additional anchors installed in the back. He did not recommend it, saying that it might be difficult to find suitable anchor points and it could damage the trim.

He said that the four plastic knobs should support a decent amount of weight, because there are screws inside screwed into the frame. (I'm still not sure that I'm very confident about them, though.)

or you can get a travel box from vendors like yakima or thule. Put it on top
    of the van securely and put everything in there.

A web netting should have come with your van. Check in the back in the little storage cubby in the driver side wall of the rear cargo area. I believe that's where mine was.

I really wish there were some small hooks or something on the roof between the 2nd and 3rd row seats. When we travel we usually only use 2 rows, the 3rd is folded and luggage is there. I'm thinking of making a metal mesh divider that would clamp at the bottom of the 2nd row chairs and the top would clamp against the metal bars of the headrest.

I recall seeing some sort of metal (maybe plastic) fencing device being marketed to keep pets safely in the rear portion of vans/suvs. May be worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by akaBobbys2k View Post
    or you can get a travel box from vendors like yakima or thule. Put it on top
    of the van securely and put everything in there.
    But then you need to deal with wind noise and drag.

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring (Canadian) Polished Metal Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post
    I recall seeing some sort of metal (maybe plastic) fencing device being marketed to keep pets safely in the rear portion of vans/suvs. May be worth looking into.
    I had one in my SUV when i was in college. The compression type that you squeeze between the ceilling and the floor. A total waste of money. It actually was the most dangerous projectile in the car.

Nope, you won't. I've travelled over 3000 miles with a THULE travel box on top of my van. These boxes are designed to be as quiet as possible with minimum effect on your gas mileage. No clutter inside the van in addition to more room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gstom1 View Post
    But then you need to deal with wind noise and drag.

For me, securing means to the four corners of the floor. It seems kind of jinky that Honda expects us to secure to the 4 corners of the back wall of the van. To little tabs no less.
    Amy

--
    2011 Touring Elite / Smoky Topaz

You can always remove the round anchors and replace them with a bolt and hook that will hold the net. The net isn't going to hold much anyway, but if it keeps items below the seat backs in a wreck it will help. I carried a power chair after removing the 2nd row seats and used the seat anchors to secure the straps.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements