Help with Auto Door Unlocking on EX-L
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Auto Door Unlocking on EX-L

Help with Auto Door Unlocking on EX-L

We just purchased a 2011 EX-L and have read the manual over and over again and cannot figure out how to change the auto door unlocking so that all the doors unlock when the car is put into Park. We have followed the instructions (about 20 times) but it just doesn't work. The weird thing is that the Door Locking feature notes that it works with LX, EX, and EX-L models, while the Door Unlocking feature notes that it works with just LX and EX models (EX-L is not listed). I know this is a feature that should be on the van, but I cannot find any information about how to do it on my specific model. Anyone else have this problem? It is in the manual on pages 157-161.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Granted I have not RTFM in depth in all sections, but I still can't figure out when I hit unlock on the remote, it randomly unlocks either all doors and hatch or just one with one press of the remote unlock button. Seems odd to me coming from GM cars.
    '06 EX-L Red - Mods - Magnum drilled rotors & ceramic pads, stainless lines, Monroe shocks, auto lights, 18" MDX Sport rims/Kuhmo tires. Honda hitch. mud guards. Weather Tech mats. Rad. Screen mod. & trans cooler.
    Issues - R.shocks, 3 eng mounts, blower thermal cut-out, alternator bearing, DVD sound cable, AC clutch bearing, door rattle, what next?
    '12 Kia Optima SX - Turbo GDI 2.0, 274 hp 6 speed
    '07 Saturn Sky Redline project car 1 year and counting on blocks...

Quote Originally Posted by jpm206 View Post
    It is in the manual on pages 157-161.
    Hmm, following the manual I also tried once disabling the auto-lock when the car starts rolling at around 15mph, so you are right, it might be an EX-L related "feature".

Quote Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
    Granted I have not RTFM in depth in all sections, but I still can't figure out when I hit unlock on the remote, it randomly unlocks either all doors and hatch or just one with one press of the remote unlock button. Seems odd to me coming from GM cars.
    Huh? You did not RTF original post either

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

Try this to unlock all doors when you shift to park:
    1. Apply parking brake
    2. move the shift lever to P, and close driver's door
    3. turn the ignition switch to ON (II) position
    4. push and hold the rear of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a click. Continue holding until you hear two or more clicks (after about 10 seconds).
    5. Release the switch and turn the ignition switch to the Lock (0) position within 5 seconds.

Hope this helps you. I brought home an EX-L Thursday and this info was on a Personalized Setting Worksheet I found in the car.
    2011 EX-L Dark Cherry

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    I brought home an EX-L Thursday and this info was on a Personalized Setting Worksheet I found in the car.
    Did it work for you? I think that is the issue, the manual also has those same instructions

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

It's also in the Technology reference guide that comes with the manuals

I have tried those directions, and we only hear the initial click when holding the unlock button down. We don't hear any others at 5 or 10 seconds after holding it down. Has anyone with an EX-L had any luck with changing this feature? I would even be fine with just turning the auto lock feature off, but I can't get that to work either. With kids in the car, it drives me nuts to have to hit the unlock button before I can open their door or the tailgate everytime we stop.

The crazy thing is I don't understand the order of the directions--it says to shift the lever to park, close the door, then turn the ignition on. I'm trying to understand how critical it is to go in order, because who would have the car shifted out of park before starting the car??

[QUOTE=jpm206;682091]>> I'm trying to understand how critical it is to go in order, because who would have the car shifted out of park before starting the car??>>[/QUOTE]

If others have had success following precisely the written instructions, then that's how you want to do it. Sometimes it's best not to try to out-think software coding; You'll get a bald spot. Like me.

I changed mine on an EX-L following the directions. It now unlocks all doors when put into park. An added bonus is the tailgate and side doors will open from the locked position, with the remote. I originally had to push unlock 2X then the door open button. Interestingly, it only unlocks and opens the door I pushed the button for. All the other doors stay locked.

Worked for me. Did you turn the key all the way? It seems like there are two on positions... One where radio comes on and another where everything else comes on....

I have tried those directions, and we only hear the initial click when holding the unlock button down. We don't hear any others at 5 or 10 seconds after holding it down. Has anyone with an EX-L had any luck with changing this feature? I would even be fine with just turning the auto lock feature off, but I can't get that to work either. With kids in the car, it drives me nuts to have to hit the unlock button before I can open their door or the tailgate everytime we stop.
    I have an EX-L as well and I turned off the auto lock feature by following the manual. I don't know what to suggest except to double check every step.

Good Luck!

I guess there's something wrong with mine then, because I am certain I'm following the directions. It's pretty simple--you're just supposed to hold the unlock button down while the car is running, but it doesn't do anything. I guess I will have to take it back to the dealership. Oh well...

I guess there's something wrong with mine then, because I am certain I'm following the directions. It's pretty simple--you're just supposed to hold the unlock button down while the car is running, but it doesn't do anything. I guess I will have to take it back to the dealership. Oh well...
    The engine needs to be off. The key needs to be in the on position (the position it is in while running) but don't turn it that last little bit that starts the engine.
    Last edited by bmacz06; 05-31-2011 at 11:37 AM.

^ Worth repeating...don't turn on the engine. I programmed my EX-L as well with success.
    2011 Smoky Topaz Metallic Odyssey EX-L w/ Nav

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements