backup camera
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: backup camera

backup camera

Hi, new member here. Going to buy a minivan soon; leaning towards the 2011 Odyssey.

(1) Is the backup camera available on the EX-L _without_ NAV or RES?
    (2) How easy is it to install an aftermarket backup camera? And how klunky is the resulting setup?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to Odyclub dh37. Since you are new here, I'm going to give you a word of advice that the moderator dvpatel normally gives. Do a search before starting a new thread. Often, your questions and inquiries have already been asked and discussed.

Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - Announcements in Forum : 2011 + Odyssey

Anyway, this thread should answer your questions regarding the back-up camera:

The different backup camera modes.

And since it appears the the EX-L does come with a back-up camera, there is no need to install a back-up camera. However, you might be interested in adding rear sensors:

Should I add on backup sensors to EX-L RES?

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring (Canadian) Polished Metal Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by dh37 View Post
    (1) Is the backup camera available on the EX-L _without_ NAV or RES?
    Yes, the Honda site specs are very unclear, but if you check the PDF brochure somewhere, it tells you so:

EX-L and above models feature a rear camera with guidelines. It not only helps you see what’s behind you, but also helps when backing into tight spaces. On navigation-equipped models, a multi-view rear camera offers three views: normal, wide and straight down.

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

Yup, the EX-L comes with a back-up camera. It only has "normal" view, which I find perfectly sufficient.
    2011 EX-L Dark Cherry

Quote Originally Posted by Gstom1 View Post
    Welcome to Odyclub dh37. Since you are new here, I'm going to give you a word of advice that the moderator dvpatel normally gives. Do a search before starting a new thread. Often, your questions and inquiries have already been asked and discussed.

Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - Announcements in Forum : 2011 + Odyssey
    Great advice. I normally do not post the please search in reply to a first post on the forum by a new comer (unless I am in a really bad mood) but I can always use a helping hand of folks like you who help us direct the nubies to search.

I normally give 'em a couple of strikes before I bring out the search gun.

If they all at least read the stickies and announcements before posting new threads, I'd be in heaven. LOL.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

The back-up camera is one of those items I would have scoffed in the past. Now it'll be a must have (if available) on future vehicles.
    Bill
    SENIOR CHIEF UNITED STATES NAVY RETIRED
    24 yrs, 2 months, 28 days, 1 wake-up

2011 EX-L, Polished Metal, Splash guards and those spiffy Honda all-weather mats and cargo tray, Fog lights, OEM hitch and harness

2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax, SR5, TRD, Huskyliners, TRD Sway Bar,4x4, a very nice shade of black

Quote Originally Posted by wktjr View Post
    The back-up camera is one of those items I would have scoffed in the past. Now it'll be a must have (if available) on future vehicles.
    I wasn't a scoffer. Every accident I have ever had that was my fault (except for one in high school), and a few accidents that were not my fault would likely never have happened if backup cameras were universally available. Also, with the recent trend to reduce visibility out the vehicle (including the 2011 Odyssey), they are becoming even more important. Yes, they are must-haves.

jrs

i scoffed at the need for one originally (so did my wife), but it makes parking in my garage so much easier (being able to target distances) that I'm not sure what it would be like to drive something this size without one.
    2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L: Polished Metal Metallic (bought 1/16/11) 5AT
    2008 Honda Civic Si Sedan: Fiji Blue Pearl (bought 02/16/08, sold 9/6/09) 6MT
    2008 Honda Civic LX Sedan: Tango Red Pearl (bought 2/16/08) 5MT
    2007 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD: Whistler Silver Metallic (bought 9/26/07, traded 1/16/11) 5AT
    1998 Honda Civic DX Coupe: Vogue Silver Metallic (bought 6/23/03, sold 2/17/08) 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Yup, the EX-L comes with a back-up camera. It only has "normal" view, which I find perfectly sufficient.
    My wife and I use the Wide Mode Exclusively. It distorts the video but being able to see the side really helps when pulling out of a parking spot and you can see cars or people approaching the vehicle. Using Normal mode, you see what's instantly behind you but don't know if someone is approaching unless you turn actually around (which is what you SHOULD DO int he first place). But sometimes when it's dark, it's difficult to see anything and the wide camera angles help aid in ensuring it is all clear.

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements