2011 Cabin air filter replace
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Cabin air filter replace

Question 2011 Cabin air filter replace

I assume the casbin air filter is behind the glove box. How do I get access to it to change it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Lightbulb How to Replace Cabin Air Filter on 2011+ Odyssey

Yes, the cabin airfilter IS located behind the glove box. Normally a dealership maintenance item, and not written up in the Owner's Manual, it's very easy to change on 2011+ Odys, as I discovered today, as follows:
    1. Make sure the ignition and thus the climate control system are turned OFF. Open and empty glove box of all contents. Make sure the floor on the passenger side underneath the glove box is clean and clear of any obstructions. Always work safely.
    2. Use a flashlight if needed as you work to clearly see all components, etc. On the left hand side of the glove box locate the end of the damper rod, the bottom end of which which must be disconnected from the inside of of the glove box face. It has thumb and finger grips molded into its end to facilitate gripping it. It simply unhooks and snaps out of its connection. To do this, grip the rod at its bottom end, pull slightly down and push away (forward towards firewall) from you to unhook and unsnap it. It may require a slight bit of force to do this as it is under slight tension. Once disconnected, just let it hang in place. The stops will now hold the glove box in place.
    3. On the 2011+, the glove box stops are molded into the sides of the box and are NOT removeable as on earlier ODY models. Locate them with your fingers along the sides/edges. Be careful of any metal surfaces or edges near the sides of the glove box. I found one on the right hand side frame, but it posed no danger.
    4. With your hands, and with the box hanging down as far as necessary, press inwards on the edges of the box near the stops to allow them to clear the frame as you drop the box all the way down to a hanging position. Again this requires some force to clear the stops around the frame edges. You can work one side with your finger to catch one stop on the glove box frame and then do the other side if this is easier. Keep your knees under the door of the box to prevent it from free-falling to the floor.
    5. Once the stops have cleared the frame, allow the glove box to hang down towards the floor. It can now be fully removed by unhooking its hinges (which are really shaped like flat, wide hooks) by pulling it slightly upwards and rearward to clear the bottom of its frame. Then place it on the cabin floor underneath. The USB cable on the left has enough slack to allow for this and does not need to be detached for this process.
    6. Using a flashlight, now locate the filter frame directly forward of the glove box opening, above the circular blower motor housing. Press inwards on the side latches, holding them in this position to remove it. Slide the filter frame completely out of its slot towards the rear, fully removing it from the slot.
    7. Using a shop vacuum with narrow crevice tool, be sure to clean out any debris from the inside of the slot above the blower motor. At the same time, use the vacuum to clean any debris from around the base of the passenger side windshield wiper by the cowl outside, which is where the climate system air intake is located (actually underneath the cowl).
    8. Remove the old element and replace a new filter unit into the filter frame, paying attention to the airflow arrows, which must point downwards towards the blower motor. Be sure that the edges of the paper filter unit engage in the slots on both sides of the filter frame, so as to guarantee a tight fit and not allow debris to bypass the filter. Critical! Either use a genuine Honda replacement part or any suitable aftermarket part. I used a Bosch Cabin Air Filter, Part No. P3875, which fits a variety of Honda models, and is slightly cheaper in price and construction. The dimensions of the original Honda filter element are approximately 9-1/4"x8-3/4"x 1-1/8". Replace the filter frame back into its slot and ensure the latches are snapped into place
    9. To reinstall the glove box, simply reverse the above steps: re-hang the glove box on its hook-like hinges. Inspect the USB cable for clearance and reattach the USB cable clip at the bottom of the rear of the glove box if the clip had popped out during removal of the box. Raise the glove box and press inwards on the stops to replace the box into proper open position in its frame. Reattach the damper rod on the left hand side of the box by pulling it downwards and snapping its hook-end back into place. Close and latch the box. Test the action of the damper by opening the box and dropping it to full open position to the stops to ensure you've correctly attached it.
    10. Re-load the glove box, close it and you are done!
    11. At this time, I took the opportunity to set the heater system blower on HIGH and sprayed liberally some "auto air conditioner air freshener" into air intake area at the bottom of the cowl by the passenger wiper base. Be careful of what you use for this, as an untested spray could discolor the outside of the black cowl. When the weather gets warmer, I'll turn on the A/C and repeat this to freshen the A/C system as well.

Umm wow. I shall saved this intruction when I change out the filter. Thanks guy

Much improved design, similar to how Toyota has been doing it for years.

Thanks for the very very nice write up!
    2012 Odyssey Touring Elite, Dark Cherry Red II
    USAF MSgt Retired, 24.5 years

I just did mine and it was pretty dirty after a year. My little damper was never connected so I reconnected it after I was done. Didn't even know it was there until I read this. I purchased a MANN filter through Amazon. After I was done I noticed a leaflet in the box. Directions specifically how to do this job.... lol..

I know I'm going to embarrass myself but I'm having trouble with step 2. Quoting from your detailed instructions - "2. Use a flashlight if needed as you work to clearly see all components, etc. On the left hand side of the glove box locate the end of the damper rod, the bottom end of which which must be disconnected from the inside of of the glove box face. It has thumb and finger grips molded into its end to facilitate gripping it. It simply unhooks and snaps out of its connection. To do this, grip the rod at its bottom end, pull slightly down and push away (forward towards firewall) from you to unhook and unsnap it. It may require a slight bit of force to do this as it is under slight tension. Once disconnected, just let it hang in place. The stops will now hold the glove box in place." I can't seem to find the damper rod and if I can't find the rod I'll be unable to disconnect it. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks
    2011 Touring Elite-Dark Cherry Pearl
    2013 Cadillac XTS

Quote Originally Posted by peter122 View Post
    I know I'm going to embarrass myself but I'm having trouble with step 2. Quoting from your detailed instructions - "2. Use a flashlight if needed as you work to clearly see all components, etc. On the left hand side of the glove box locate the end of the damper rod, the bottom end of which which must be disconnected from the inside of of the glove box face. It has thumb and finger grips molded into its end to facilitate gripping it. It simply unhooks and snaps out of its connection. To do this, grip the rod at its bottom end, pull slightly down and push away (forward towards firewall) from you to unhook and unsnap it. It may require a slight bit of force to do this as it is under slight tension. Once disconnected, just let it hang in place. The stops will now hold the glove box in place." I can't seem to find the damper rod and if I can't find the rod I'll be unable to disconnect it. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks
    Try skipping to step 4 and it will be obvious where the rod is on the left because it will be the only thing holding the glove box up.

Also, you don't need to totally remove the glove box. I just lower it enough to remove and replace the cabin air filter. Usually I just let the glove box rest on my leg.

Finally, remember this fundamental: if it feels like you're trying to force it, you're probably doing it wrong. The end on the damper rod disconnects very easily; once you do it one time it will seem easy.

Got it! Thanks very much for your help!
    2011 Touring Elite-Dark Cherry Pearl
    2013 Cadillac XTS

Pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Cabin air filter replace-glovebox_sm.jpg   2011 Cabin air filter replace-cabin_filter_sm.jpg  
    -Jamie
    '11 Touring Elite
    '03 EVO
    '91 GVR4

Quote Originally Posted by BoostMe97 View Post
    Pics
    Very helpful!

LOL, Don't need a hacksaw on this Ody generation the first time, huh? That was a strange feeling on the 2003. Wife: "Honey are you SURE you know what you're doing?"
    2012 EX (hers) 03 LX (reserve force)
    2013 Chevy Cruze Eco (stick!) commuting average 40mpg

Gone:Caddy CTS (neutered, aka auto trans), Jetta 1.8T (stick!),95 & 02 Saturn SL (stick!)

Just looked at cabin air filters on RockAuto - I see one person is happy with the MANN filter - any other opinions of the brands? Also, any reason to spend a few extra dollars on the carbon-activated filters?

The pictures of the Honda filter (on Bernardi Parts) look pretty sturdy - but no reason to toss extra coin at it when unnecessary.
    '11 Odyssey EX-L w/ Nav, ATF cooler, backup sensors, kiddy anti-skid plates, other accessories
    '13 Scion FR-S, Ultramarine manual trans
    '01 Camry LE 5SFE, 145k
    SOLD '98.5 Ford Contour SVT, "new" 3.0L among other mods, laughs at Bimmers on track days

The carbon will help absorb odors.

Mann is usually a solid choice. (They are standard issue on many German/Swedish brands.) I have been using WIX and it is comparable to the original.
    -Jamie
    '11 Touring Elite
    '03 EVO
    '91 GVR4

I replaced ours with the FRAM CF10134 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter ordered off Amazon. Piece of cake. My 4 year old "helped" do the job, and it still took less than 5 minutes. Yikes; there was a lot of junk in the filter - 13k and 17 months of being parked under a tree.

Thanks for the write-up!
    '11 Odyssey EX-L w/ Nav, ATF cooler, backup sensors, kiddy anti-skid plates, other accessories
    '13 Scion FR-S, Ultramarine manual trans
    '01 Camry LE 5SFE, 145k
    SOLD '98.5 Ford Contour SVT, "new" 3.0L among other mods, laughs at Bimmers on track days

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements