Fuse Box - Interior
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuse Box - Interior

Fuse Box - Interior

Hello.

I want to use an add-a-circuit to hook-up a cigarette lighter adaptor but have it near the driver door so I can hide the power cable going to my GPS which I plan to mount to the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel.

I want to find a switched fuse. I looked at the book hoping it would be clear which fuses are switched but it didn't note that. I have a meter and can start to check each fuse location. However, before I go through the trouble, does anyone have an opinion of whether one fuse location is better than another or do you know which are switched and which are always live? There are some unused spots. Can I use them?

I would rather use the add-a-circuits that are blades and they plug into the fuse box in palce of the fuse. The add-a-circuit then has a fuse for that circuit and another fuse and power lead that I can use to connect the cigarette lighter. I will then need to mount the cigarette lighter adapter somewhere. I would really rather not splice into a another wire somewhere unless I get VERY strong advice that I should not use the add-a-circuit with the fuse box.

Any opinions or experiences that you can share? Wiring or fuse diagram that shows switched vs always live circuits? Etc?

Thank you in advance.
    Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

There is a company that is called Painless performance. They have many, many different types of fuse blocks to add on to a vehicle. I have used there products lots and highly recommend them when adding on fuse protected circuits easily. I added one to my truck for offroad lights and various other accessories and it was very simple.

I would certainly recommend the add-a-circuit over cutting into the van's wiring. Could you connect the new circuit directly to the GPS rather than through an accessory socket? Solves the problem of finding a place to install the socket...
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

I don't know where the sockets are on the 2011 but I would just connect a wire to the back of the current socket and tie it under the dash over to the new location. Connecting to almost any of the driver under dash fuses could create problems with the engine controls. You wouldn't want to blow the the ignition coil fuse or ECM fuse plugging in a defective toy. Other than the power socket relay (only 7.5a) the rest of the fuses in that panel control important engine functions.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Where is the fuse panel inside the 11 Ody?
    2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L NAVI
    Taffeta White w/ Truffle Leather
    20% 3M Charcoal Tinted Front Windows
    Body Side Moldings - Door Edge Guards
    Splash Guards - Wheel Locks
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors
    Rubber All-Season Mats - Cargo Tray

Which one? Seriously, there's like at least 3. I think their on the drivers side, passenger side front, and one in the back. The OM has pics and locations.
    2011 Smoky Topaz Metallic Odyssey EX-L w/ Nav

Quote Originally Posted by hasenpfeffer View Post
    Which one? Seriously, there's like at least 3. I think their on the drivers side, passenger side front, and one in the back. The OM has pics and locations.
    I dropped the OM in my wife's lap and said get reading.... That thing is massive. If there is one on the drivers and passenger side that is pretty good options for trying to route a cable for my Valentine 1. Thanks

So it looks like the best place to tap a fuse is in the passenger side fuse compartment, fuses #14 Rear accessory power socket or #15 Front accessory power socket. I assume they are switched power but I am not sure yet, which would be great for a radar detector.

Most GPSs run on 5 volts and the circuit is in the plug. Garmin makes a cable with the circuit in a box that will let you hook it to a 12 V fuse box. if you don't use either this or the original cable into cigarette lighter outlet, it will fry your GPS. Radar detectors are usually 12 v so no problems direct wiring them.

Quote Originally Posted by frbear View Post
    Most GPSs run on 5 volts and the circuit is in the plug. Garmin makes a cable with the circuit in a box that will let you hook it to a 12 V fuse box. if you don't use either this or the original cable into cigarette lighter outlet, it will fry your GPS. Radar detectors are usually 12 v so no problems direct wiring them.
    Good tip. That is why I hardwired an extra cig lighter adapter inside my dash and simply plugged in the Garmin power cable into that. Garmin plug also happened to have the fm traffic receiver in it so it was needed for traffic to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Good tip. That is why I hardwired an extra cig lighter adapter inside my dash and simply plugged in the Garmin power cable into that. Garmin plug also happened to have the fm traffic receiver in it so it was needed for traffic to work.
    Good job. Have you done this to your Ody? Can you share some pics?
    2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L - RES
    Crystal Black Pearl Exterior
    Gray Leather Interior

Quote Originally Posted by chingchel View Post
    Good job. Have you done this to your Ody? Can you share some pics?
    Not on the Ody since I ended getting the EX-L NAVI, that is the way I "hard wired" my Garmin in my 2007 Audi A4. I just recently took out all the wiring for it so I have it sitting around, I could take a pic of the parts but I have no idea how to remove any parts of the center console (upper or lower) on the Ody.

I am going to hardwire my V1, will take some pics when I do that but I don't have to remove any panels. Just have to run the telephone cord from fuse box up to the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Not on the Ody since I ended getting the EX-L NAVI, that is the way I "hard wired" my Garmin in my 2007 Audi A4. I just recently took out all the wiring for it so I have it sitting around, I could take a pic of the parts but I have no idea how to remove any parts of the center console (upper or lower) on the Ody.

I am going to hardwire my V1, will take some pics when I do that but I don't have to remove any panels. Just have to run the telephone cord from fuse box up to the mirror.
    Well, thanks. I was also trying to find instructions on how to remove the center console of the Ody.

What I did for now is just plug the cable through socket in the front and ran the wire underneath the drivers dashboard side panel up to the side of the steering wheel. My GPS is located between the instrument panel and iMID. Still, the adapter plug is sticking out.
    2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L - RES
    Crystal Black Pearl Exterior
    Gray Leather Interior

Quote Originally Posted by chingchel View Post
    Well, thanks. I was also trying to find instructions on how to remove the center console of the Ody.

What I did for now is just plug the cable through socket in the front and ran the wire underneath the driver’s dashboard side panel up to the side of the steering wheel. My GPS is located between the instrument panel and iMID. Still, the adapter plug is sticking out.
    Check out the instructions for installing the mood lighting, it shows how to remove some of the lower panels. Maybe you can hardwire the cig lighter adapter in the lower part of the center dash and then figure out a way to get the cable up to your GPS. You would have to attach the new cig adapter to the passenger fuse panel because that is where the front and rear cig lighter fuses are. This should be easy if you remove the lower passenger panels and just run a longer power and ground cables to the cig lighter adapter. That is basically how I did it in my Audi, ran long wires from fuse box to the adapter that was inside my center console behind my radio. I had the tools to remove my radio which was large and gave me plenty of room to get into my center dash. I was then able to remove a trim piece that I shaved a U shaped area for my cable to come through right by my GPS mount.

http://www.hondapartssuperstore.com/...ent-lights.pdf
    Last edited by Raistlin; 07-05-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Looking to do the same on my 2014 EX-L. Which Fuse box should I tap into on the Passenger Fuse Panel to add the Garmin GPS? I want to be able to use the GPS and also the 12V on the central deck at the same time.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements