hesitation on acceleration - Page 4
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: hesitation on acceleration

My BIL's 2013 Focus that has the same delay when launching from a stop. Dealer's explanation was identical to that posted above by HONACUTECH . You adjust your driving to allow for the delay, and lose some of the fun of driving in the process.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF 6/2011, Honda aux ATF cooler, 16 ATF drain & fills

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I have a 2012 that has done this several times but I cannot get it to do it on command when I carry it to the dealership. These vehicles are throttle by wire and it is like the gas pedal is not communicating with the throttle body causing a 1-2 second delay in accelerating. This is pretty scarry when crossing traffic. I think the approach Honda is taking is that someone must get killed first before they will agree that there is a problem. I have had my vehicle in the dealership over 9 times trying to get this along with the shudder in the transmission fixed. My van is so bad that even the tech said he would not want it and everytime he sends the info to Honda, they just come back with this is normal. The dealership let me take a 2013 home for a few days that was identical to my 2012 and it did not have the shudder or the vibration that mine has. My dealership is awsome but their hands are tied and I have started the Arkansas Lemon Law papaerwork and sent the certified demand letters to American Honda. I hate that it has come to this but I refuse to let them run over me any longer. I own a business and if a customer has a problem, I have to take care of it and sometimes I lose money but that is just business. I will never own another Honda product as long as this is still going on and I suggest potential buyers really think twice before making a purchase of a new Honda vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by glgreenbrier View Post
    I have a 2012 that has done this several times but I cannot get it to do it on command when I carry it to the dealership. These vehicles are throttle by wire and it is like the gas pedal is not communicating with the throttle body causing a 1-2 second delay in accelerating. This is pretty scarry when crossing traffic. I think the approach Honda is taking is that someone must get killed first before they will agree that there is a problem. I have had my vehicle in the dealership over 9 times trying to get this along with the shudder in the transmission fixed. My van is so bad that even the tech said he would not want it and everytime he sends the info to Honda, they just come back with this is normal. The dealership let me take a 2013 home for a few days that was identical to my 2012 and it did not have the shudder or the vibration that mine has. My dealership is awsome but their hands are tied and I have started the Arkansas Lemon Law papaerwork and sent the certified demand letters to American Honda. I hate that it has come to this but I refuse to let them run over me any longer. I own a business and if a customer has a problem, I have to take care of it and sometimes I lose money but that is just business. I will never own another Honda product as long as this is still going on and I suggest potential buyers really think twice before making a purchase of a new Honda vehicle.

Sorry to hear about your issues. My 2011 Touring Elite has been flawless, no problems at all. In your case I agree, lemon law it.

I did ask a Honda service advisor about the hesitation and if there was a brake pedal cut off for the accelerator. He said no. There was no investigation just the statement that there was not one. It has done it when I slow, take my foot off the accelerator and accelerate to make a quick left turn due to approaching traffic. Also when I let off the accelerator pedal to make a lane change and try to accelerate again. There is about a 2 second lag like it is going into neutral. No push or resting on the brake pedal.
    I haven't noticed it recently. I agree that it is a safety hazard and could cause an accident if you are not expecting the acceleration lag.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1419 View Post
    I did ask a Honda service advisor about the hesitation and if there was a brake pedal cut off for the accelerator. He said no. There was no investigation just the statement that there was not one. It has done it when I slow, take my foot off the accelerator and accelerate to make a quick left turn due to approaching traffic. Also when I let off the accelerator pedal to make a lane change and try to accelerate again. There is about a 2 second lag like it is going into neutral. No push or resting on the brake pedal.
    I haven't noticed it recently. I agree that it is a safety hazard and could cause an accident if you are not expecting the acceleration lag.
    I wonder if this is just the nannies kicking in... I have noticed this on other vehicles sometimes when turning and accelerating at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    My BIL's 2013 Focus that has the same delay when launching from a stop. Dealer's explanation was identical to that posted above by HONACUTECH . You adjust your driving to allow for the delay, and lose some of the fun of driving in the process.
    Just realized this thread describes two similar, but distinct, problems: hesitation when starting from a stop, and hesitation when accelerating at speed. My comment above refers to the first, hesitation when accelerating from a full stop. The second, hesitation when accelerating while rolling, is definitely a frustrating and dangerous problem.

Sorry I can't help - just want to let those who have this problem know that I don't think you should just accept it.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF 6/2011, Honda aux ATF cooler, 16 ATF drain & fills

2013 T.E. same on both issues, had it checked, put it on diagnostic. only thing he found was an ignition system update. Even drove a '13 on the lot, felt the same but everyone seems to think its normal. To compensate all I can do is floor the thing, not good on gas mileage. I will report to Am Honda mileage results and see if that brings any ideas. They know something is wrong, they either don't know what to do about it or it is very expensive for them to do. Unfortunate I live 65 mi. from dealer.

I have a 2012 Odyssey which hesitates at low speed, going from slow acceleration to harder acceleration. This happened about 25 to 30 times in past year. Also happened twice at higher speed (about 45 mph) as I tried to accelerate to pass in traffic. Has anyone gotten any answers from a dealer or Honda?

Update on my hesitation problem, I missed the suggestion to avoid touching the brake pedal during acceleration. (I am a two footed driver). I ran a test and found that this can trick the computer into thinking "brake" rather than accelerate and causes the hesitation. If problem continues, I will update again.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger72 View Post
    I am a two footed driver.
    This can be very dangerous.... you really need to untrain yourself back to one footed driver.

My 2012 Odyssey hesitates when I am entering freeway on ramp and have to stop and go. It is very scary when I finally get into the freeway lane and need to accelerate to enter the traffic flow. My Honda sometimes just sits there and I can see a car come crashing into me -- so far it has not happened BUT. When I push the accelerator all the way to the floor after the hesitation the car jumps forward. Have had Honda dealer check it and they say all is well. BUT this is a problem. I fly airplanes so am quite aware of mechanical functioning and my foot is not on the brake although in the traffic there is a constant brake, accelerate, brake, accelerate ...Has anyone found a solution.

I have driven the past three gen of odysseys. Over the years the odyssey has gotten "porky"...sorry to say. But fuel eco is much better. Seems like what we are experiencing is the engineering of increasing fuel economy. Tranny gear ratios...eco mode kicking in and holding in that mode longer. What I do when merging onto freeway traffic is press the down shift button on the transmission shift select (press and release) then give it gas...like floor it. This only allows the tranny to upshift only up to 3rd gear. You will notice the engine revs much higher....Once you get past 4000 rpm hang on...the engine comes alive once the vtec kicks in. Try this the next time you are merging on the freeway or when you need some passing power. Once you are happy with the speed you are at press the button again to up shift back to 5th gear. Most folks don't realize that every motor has a specific power band. The range of rpms that gives the most torque or horsepower (depending on which way the engine is tuned). To get the most out you have to rev the motor to that range. In this case get up past 4000 rpm.
    Last edited by hchanrn; 11-24-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    2012 Odyssey EX-L Alabaster Silver Metalic

If you really want to have some fun and see what kind of acceleration you can get with this generation of the van try this. Warning..i am not responsible for voiding your warranty or damages.

1) press the traction control disable button to disable traction control.

2) Hold down brake pedal to keep van from moving.

3) Press transmission hold button on shift lever

4) Rev up engine to 3000 rpm or so.

5) Hang on to steering wheel which both hands.

6) Let go brake pedal and floor it at the same time.

7) Grin and smile.....

Congratulations you have just you have just performed the load and launch technique.
    2012 Odyssey EX-L Alabaster Silver Metalic

Quote Originally Posted by hchanrn View Post
    I have driven the past three gen of odysseys. Over the years the odyssey has gotten "porky"...sorry to say. But fuel eco is much better. Seems like what we are experiencing is the engineering of increasing fuel economy. Tranny gear ratios...eco mode kicking in and holding in that mode longer. What I do when merging onto freeway traffic is press the down shift button on the transmission shift select (press and release) then give it gas...like floor it. This only allows the tranny to upshift only up to 3rd gear. You will notice the engine revs much higher....Once you get past 4000 rpm hang on...the engine comes alive once the vtec kicks in. Try this the next time you are merging on the freeway or when you need some passing power. Once you are happy with the speed you are at press the button again to up shift back to 5th gear. Most folks don't realize that every motor has a specific power band. The range of rpms that gives the most torque or horsepower (depending on which way the engine is tuned). To get the most out you have to rev the motor to that range. In this case get up past 4000 rpm.
    All Odysseys to date with VCM do not have VTEC in the normal sense (hi/low cam profiles). They use the VTEC system to perform the VCM function. At higher engine RPMs, you are not feeling VTEC....you are feeling the effect of the dual stage intake manifold.

The new Earth Dreams 3.5L V6 engine with direct injection has both VCM and VTEC in the normal sense (hi/low cam profiles), but that is currently only available in some Acura and Honda models. The next generation Odyssey will likely finally get it.
    Last edited by EE4Life; 11-24-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    2008 Odyssey Touring non-PAX
    Silver Pearl Metallic w/ Black Interior
    Mobil 1 5W-20 with Honda Oil Filter 15400-PLM-A01 or 15400-PLM-A02
    Shell (or other Top-Tier Gas)
    Honda Care 6yr/120K from Bernardi Honda
    WeatherTech FloorLiner (1st, 2nd, 3rd Row)
    WeatherTech Cargo Liner (Coverage Area: Behind 2nd Seat)

TSBs applied: 07-045 (Brake Pedal Is Low and Feels Soft), 08-080 (Wind Noise or Rattle From Front Doors), 09-053 (Product Update: Lock-Up Clutch Judders Between 2045 MPH / PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch Function), 10-024 (No XM Sound, But XM Station Information Is Displayed)

Safety Recalls applied: 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

Warranty Repairs: Torque converter replaced at 38,349 miles, Water passage replaced at 38,349 miles, HOSE A, WATER, HOSE C, WATER, and RUBBER, THERMOSTAT MOUNTING replaced at 39,673 miles. Second software update (unreleased and released) applied to PCM

I have driven the past three gen of odysseys. Over the years the odyssey has gotten "porky"...sorry to say.
    I'd agree from the 1st to the 2nd gen, but after all, not really. The 4th gen actually lost some weight, not much, but it did:
    • 1st gen Honda Odyssey EX:3472 lbs. 150hp
    • 2nd gen Honda Odyssey EX: 4288 lbs. 210hp
    • 3rd gen Honda Odyssey EX: 4475 lbs. 244hp
    • 4th gen Honda Odyssey EX: 4412 lbs. 248hp

Also, acceleration seemed to have improved (I know, not a Porsche, but hey):

• 1995 Honda Odyssey EX 0-60 mph 10.2 Quarter mile 18.1
    • 1999 Honda Odyssey EX 0-60 mph 9.4 Quarter mile 16.9
    • 2005 Honda Odyssey EX 0-60 mph 8.6 Quarter Mile 16.7
    • 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring 0-60 mph 8.5
    • 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring 0-60 mph 8.5 Quarter mile 16.5
    • 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 0-60 mph 8.5 Quarter mile 16.5
    • 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 0-60 mph 7.8 Quarter Mile 15.9
    • 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite 0-60 mph 7.3 Quarter Mile 15.6

Honda 0-60 Times & Honda Quarter Mile Times

What I do when merging onto freeway traffic is press the down shift button on the transmission shift select (press and release) then give it gas...like floor it. This only allows the tranny to upshift only up to 3rd gear. You will notice the engine revs much higher....Once you get past 4000 rpm hang on...the engine comes alive once the vtec kicks in. Try this the next time you are merging on the freeway or when you need some passing power. Once you are happy with the speed you are at press the button again to up shift back to 5th gear. Most folks don't realize that every motor has a specific power band. The range of rpms that gives the most torque or horsepower (depending on which way the engine is tuned). To get the most out you have to rev the motor to that range. In this case get up past 4000 rpm.
    All is fine, but if you are merging from a full stop the hold gear button does not help. From a full stop most of the acceleration is needed during the first and second gears. Also, if you own a 2011-2013 Touring, the O/D hold button holds the 4th gear, even less promising.

If you really want to have some fun and see what kind of acceleration you can get with this generation of the van try this. Warning..i am not responsible for voiding your warranty or damages.

1) press the traction control disable button to disable traction control.

2) Hold down brake pedal to keep van from moving.

3) Press transmission hold button on shift lever

4) Rev up engine to 3000 rpm or so.

5) Hang on to steering wheel which both hands.

6) Let go brake pedal and floor it at the same time.

7) Grin and smile.....

Congratulations you have just you have just performed the load and launch technique.
    For the Odyssey I'd replace point 7) with a "Is that it?, really?"

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements