Break in period?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Break in period?

Break in period?

picked up a 2012 exl today

the car salesman said that the car should be not driven at the same rpm for more than 5 minutes during the break in period

see no mention of a break in period (search of pdf owners manual) other than no revving or sudden braking the first 600 miles.

please post your thoughts and experiences

thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

i was wondering the same thing, i read on some blog that with new engines you actually need to go full throttle for the first 20 miles so the combustion pressure would seal the cylinders seals Google it... im at a loss how the manual says just the opposite and he can say what he says...

What does the manual say? I dont have it with me.
    White Diamond Pearl

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cooljoe613 View Post
    i was wondering the same thing, i read on some blog that with new engines you actually need to go full throttle for the first 20 miles so the combustion pressure would seal the cylinders seals Google it... im at a loss how the manual says just the opposite and he can say what he says...
    If you want a new engine at 50 miles go for it. Use your logic, all parts in your car are brand new and need to be worked in gently, especially the engine. It needs to polish itself out, if you go full throttle you may damage your engine or have an excessive oil consumption. When you polish your car do you start with the your polishing machine with full throttle or you gently increase speed as you progress?

Quote Originally Posted by oh2010 View Post
    ....no revving or sudden braking the first 600 miles.
    You got it...

Ours had less than 100 miles when we set out for our vacation trip to Charleston, SC via Charlotte, NC. We hit the magic 600-mile mark while in Charleston, and had plenty of "same RPM" travel along the way. The key is to be gentle while the friction surfaces in the engine and on the brake rotors get bedded in.

Your salesman must be "old school"... I haven't heard advice like that since the 1970's
    Last edited by mrbill56; 10-19-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: add'l info
    440 million years ago there was an ice age that lasted 500,000 years. Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide levels were an order of magnitude higher than today. When you can explain that, I'll get serious about reducing my carbon footprint. Until then, I'm keeping the car.

I would follow the written advice of the manufacturer over the spoken word of a salesman.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

The "old way" used to guarantee that oil made it to the cylinder walls. By varying the rpms, you vary the vacuum which in turn pulls oil up the walls when the vacuum is high.
    As to whether or not it is necessary, all I can say is that we have a 2001 Caravan(we're seriously looking at a new Odyssey) that we broke in the old way and with 174,000 miles on it, it doesn't burn a drop of oil to this day.

D_M
    I would just follow the manual written from the engineers.

See post #167 of this link: 2011 + Odyssey Reviews and Articles

Here is a quote: "For example, Honda has developed a technique it calls plateau honing for the cylinder walls of its engines. Rather than a standard single-step machining process with a honing tool — an abrasive that smoothes the cylinder to the required finish — plateau honing uses two stages of grinding to produce a surface that is ultrasmooth yet leaves a pattern of very fine grooves to hold oil."
    2011 Odyssey EX-RES (Canadian version) Celestial Blue

Blog Entries
    Service and Sales told me mine would get better mpg when break in is complete. I can't wait. 50K + miles......I have to be getting close.....
    King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

Quote Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
    Service and Sales told me mine would get better mpg when break in is complete. I can't wait. 50K + miles......I have to be getting close.....
    lol...

WW, prolly your one of the members here that has sense of humor.. keep posting..
    2014 ODY EXL Obsidian blue pearl
    2011 ODY EX Smoky topaz

Quote Originally Posted by oh2010 View Post
    picked up a 2012 exl today

the car salesman said that the car should be not driven at the same rpm for more than 5 minutes during the break in period

see no mention of a break in period (search of pdf owners manual) other than no revving or sudden braking the first 600 miles.

please post your thoughts and experiences

thx
    he forgot to specify that its the cruise control..
    2014 ODY EXL Obsidian blue pearl
    2011 ODY EX Smoky topaz

Blog Entries
    It's a van, your not going to be racing it I hope. Just drive easy, no sudden bursts of speed, and vary your speed on the highway and you will be fine. Even if you don't do this, you will be fine.
    King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

This is really confusing. Brake pad manufacturers have instructions on breaking in pads that includes repeated stops from 60 mph to bed in the pads. How does this correlate with not using the brakes hard? Doesn't make sense. I knew some engine builders when I was younger who used to say to break in an engine by driving in in a normal manner (which by implication meant to vary the engine speed. I think that is legit, but I don't get the don't jump on the brakes part....
    Jeff

Mocha Metallic EX-L - body side molding, roof rack, locks, splash guards, cargo tray

im at 840 miles did exactly what the manual says, lets see if my mpg improves im getting 15.8 avr. went on freeway for 200 of those miles

Quote Originally Posted by vthehonda View Post
    If you want a new engine at 50 miles go for it. Use your logic, all parts in your car are brand new and need to be worked in gently, especially the engine. It needs to polish itself out, if you go full throttle you may damage your engine or have an excessive oil consumption. When you polish your car do you start with the your polishing machine with full throttle or you gently increase speed as you progress?
    i agree! but his blog seams convincing as well... oh well im passed the brake in period whats done is done!

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements