Sylvania Silverstar ZXE headlight bulb review
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sylvania Silverstar ZXE headlight bulb review

Sylvania Silverstar ZXE headlight bulb review

I have been seeing this new bulb from sylvannia lately. they have been advertising that this new bulb is the best and it's near closest being HID. The price of the bulbs were $46 on ebay and amazon was selling it for $55 range.

here is the original headlight before i started the installation

after the installation>

sorry about the coloring on the after installation.. i must've mess up on the camera coloring.

the coloring has turned more white than the stock bulb... as far the visual, i think it did improve.. 25% but no near real HID. i didn't see much brightness on the ground but i see a improvement on the distance. it's probably due to projector headlight. overall, save your $$$ and buy silverstar ultra, you'll spend $20 less.
    Last edited by 12silver; 11-06-2011 at 03:55 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Let us know if they last longer than 9 months to a year. The previous Silverstars did not.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Quote Originally Posted by New Dad New Van View Post
    Let us know if they last longer than 9 months to a year. The previous Silverstars did not.
    my hybrid had silverstar ultra for 3 years.. make sure you don't touch the bulb, supposedly the oil from our skin would cause shortin the life span...?? wear rubber condom glove when working on the car.

[ wear rubber condom glove when working on the car.[/QUOTE]
    Hahaha. the word "c" either they prevent life or prolong life.

I put silverstars in my wife's (old) Camry and in my Contour. Exact same bulb (9004 I think?). The Camry ate up three sets of Silverstars every 9 months. I switched it back to regular halogens. My Contour is on the same set for the past 5 years. Although I probably do more night driving, the auto headlamps turn them on and off in the Camry more frequently, plus the housing seems smaller, which in my theory, makes them run hotter and burns them out faster.

It would be interesting to see how long the silverstars last in the Ody.
    Last edited by sastexan; 11-14-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added bulb size
    '11 Odyssey EX-L w/ Nav, ATF cooler, backup sensors, kiddy anti-skid plates, other accessories
    '13 Scion FR-S, Ultramarine manual trans
    '01 Camry LE 5SFE, 145k
    SOLD '98.5 Ford Contour SVT, "new" 3.0L among other mods, laughs at Bimmers on track days

That's been my problem with any Sylvania other than their basic bulb. I've been using the same sets of Hoen bulbs in my EVO for over 5 years and switched the Odyssey over as soon as we got it. I did have one Hoen burn out shortly after install, but it was replaced without question.
    -Jamie
    '11 Touring Elite
    '03 EVO
    '91 GVR4

Quote Originally Posted by BoostMe97 View Post
    That's been my problem with any Sylvania other than their basic bulb. I've been using the same sets of Hoen bulbs in my EVO for over 5 years and switched the Odyssey over as soon as we got it. I did have one Hoen burn out shortly after install, but it was replaced without question.
    But I believe Hoen is only for HID equipped vehicles, correct?

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

I have the sylverstar ultra's in my ML350 and I really like how they look and the quality of the light output. I do not believe the bulbs have a blue tint or if they didi they may have the slightest blue tint on them.
    2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L NAVI
    Taffeta White w/ Truffle Leather
    20% 3M Charcoal Tinted Front Windows
    Body Side Moldings - Door Edge Guards
    Splash Guards - Wheel Locks
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors
    Rubber All-Season Mats - Cargo Tray

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoat View Post
    But I believe Hoen is only for HID equipped vehicles, correct?
    I run the 9005 (listed as HB3 in the owner's manual) in the high beams and H11 in the fogs for both the Odyssey and EVO (both are equipped with HID lows). My owner's manual also lists the H11 as low beam replacement for non-HID Odysseys, so the Hoens will work with either option.

Their W5W plugs right into the license plate sockets as well
    -Jamie
    '11 Touring Elite
    '03 EVO
    '91 GVR4

i got the bulb out of the car. i'll try the silverstar ultra and see if it's any brighter than zxe.. i know for sure zxe are whiter but let's c if it's brighter as well..

My owner's manual also lists the H11 as low beam replacement for non-HID Odysseys, so the Hoens will work with either option.
    Got it, thanks. The thing here is that I would not mind them as fog lights but I would mind them as low beams. Hoen reviews are great for visual color matching, but not so much for actual light output, you may actually lose some light in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoat View Post
    Got it, thanks. The thing here is that I would not mind them as fog lights but I would mind them as low beams. Hoen reviews are great for visual color matching, but not so much for actual light output, you may actually lose some light in the process.
    Could be... I haven't used them in a low beam setup, but they do the job as a high beam/fog. I'd love to try out the Philips NightGuide, but I don't have anything in my garage to put them in.
    -Jamie
    '11 Touring Elite
    '03 EVO
    '91 GVR4

Could be... I haven't used them in a low beam setup, but they do the job as a high beam/fog. I'd love to try out the Philips NightGuide, but I don't have anything in my garage to put them in.
    You are giving me ideas, but I'll try them on my ride, not on my wife's ride . I just want a better, whiter, less yellowish light than the OEMs. For HID looks, only HIDs make the cut, that is my experience.

I just installed the Hoen Xenonmatch Titanium H11's this evening. Took a test drive around the block, very good visibility compared to the OEM halogen bulbs but not quite as bright as real HIDs (emitting about 4600k light, had HIDs in my 08 MDX trade-in). Not bad for 50+ bucks. I'll be installing OEM fogs in a month and probably upgrading the bulbs there also. Night visibility is my primary concern.

Hoen high performance halogen

HOEN Xenonmatch Titanium H11 W70 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
    Last edited by islandbeef; 09-12-2012 at 02:24 AM.
    IslandBeef
    2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L with NAV - Crystal Black Pearl/Truffle Leather - DDM HID H11 5000k Kit
    2013 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport RWD - Obsidian/Black - 15% rear tint - STOCK

Can you snap a good pic @ night when you get a moment? Thinking about buying until I have the time to install a legit HID kit.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements