Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Reverse light upgrade

30K views 62 replies 23 participants last post by  mholiver 
#1 ·
I am thinking of upgrading my reverse light to LED bulb but i dont know where to get one, maybe someone can post a link or recommend of where to buy an LED bulb for reverse.

Thanks

#3 ·
#10 ·
nomorenow sent me the link ti the ones he bought off ebay and for $10 bucks why not....worth a try and they look good in his pics

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/10-ho...essories-going-weekend-projects-w-pics-9.html
Or try this new item on the market. Cree Q5 with SMD-5050 (12led's). Mine just Cree Q5.
I know the with 12 SMD-5050 all around will reflect better. For $17.36 pair shipped. Other seller's are $3x.xx
New T20 SMD5050 12 LED Car Light Bulb White Cree Q5 Lamp 12V-30V | eBay

#13 ·
Thanks! Jus ordered even know the other ones haven't came in yet..oh well
I ordered too, just test out on the Braking light (also T20) or swap out the old plain Cree to see which is better.

#21 ·
#22 ·
Wow my T20 CREE with SMD's arrived today, that's really fast, Order on Aug 7th (is Aug 8th in China) only 6 business days, wow~!

Tonight/Tomorrow 2am will try take some pictures for comparison.

#24 ·
Testing was done @ 2am (afterwork) with Reg. T20 CREE $12 vs. T20 CREE w/SMD led's $18

See pictures for comparisons......

Here is my Orig T20 CREE.

Here is the new one, 10%-15% brighter on surrounding when compare to plain T20 CREE.

Old T20 CREE

Notice the trunk panel are lit up more.

For some reasons, The right-side was brighter even from naked eyes. Even I switched the LED bulbs around.

Very Intense brightness...

Very Intense brightness...

Here testing as an Brake-light, not as bright as Halogen bulb, but the responds from the LED are nice.
BTW: You'll lose the nigh light on the Brake-light, Since the Halogen are DUAL Filament bulbs.

#26 ·
Yes, is very bright (intense),,,,,Not sure if you have any CREE Flashlight's (I do, due to my work) Just don't stare at it, you'll be blind for few mins.

#31 ·
There only about 1-inch opening hole on the reverse housing.
"landscaping 12v systems" Hmmmm........I think is if all bulbs hook-up then upto 50watts, not single bulb is 50watts.

#41 ·
I have 5W cree with 12 smd around it for 6 months now and they still work great - i got them from V-Leds on sale for 30 bucks. they are bright!! but your backup camera at night show less than stock bulbs. cree led is aiming too high and you will see objects far way but see nothing right behind the car. Looks cool but for night vison on camera sucks!

#46 ·
That's interesting - I was planning to order the bulbs solely to help see on the backup camera at night - do others have the same feedback?

#45 ·
Morning raphael03, I Just checked your '00 Odyssey from sylvania.com
Part #s and Upgrades available for:
2000 HONDA Odyssey / Back up light 7440 = T20

=====================================================================================

Ok, I just got home 1hr ago, and old pics are no longer valid links (sorry guys), I'll repost the some pictures here again.

T20 CREE Q5 vs. T20 CREE Q5 w/ SMD5050, Enjoy!!!!.....

Showing you, is pretty bright all around when removed from housing.

Testing as a Brake light, Plain CREE Q5 are more direct lighting.

Testing as a Brake light, As you can see , with SMD5050 are filled in the housing.

That's it........Final words, to me......with SMD 5050 LEDs are more filled in light housing.

#44 ·
Oh no, let me try to fix after work......
Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure what happen to my pictures.

#48 ·
#49 · (Edited)
This thread is a few years old, has anyone else purchased any LED reverse lights since then? What do you recommend?

I am looking for some reverse bulbs to help out the rear view camera at night - since the image stinks! I was looking at these bulbs:

2X Xenon White 7440 11W High Power Backup Reverse CREE LED Light W21W 7441 992 | eBay
Me personally, I would never buy LEDs from eBay. I just converted my lights to all LEDs. So interior is all LED, exterior bulbs are LED as well (except fogs, low and high beam).

The reverse LED I bought is pricey but well worth it. It's cheaper when you wait for their special sales. 5K WHITE HIGH OUTPUT 21 LED BACK-UP LIGHT 7440 1000LM | 1 PAIR (just noticed that it's backordered until March 2015!)

It's bright enough to see and to let people know you're backing up even while it's raining but not enough to blind people. The most important part for me is during the day. It may work great at night but if its a sunny day, people may not see it. With the VLEDs, they're noticeable.

#51 ·
im reviving this old thread to see if there are any new recommendations for the best LED bulbs to use for reverse lights. my biggest concern is to make sure the new lights are still functional in providing enough light for the backup camera during night time. any suggestions?

#52 ·
Night time isn't what people should worry about because the brake lights also provide some light. It's daylight that people should be more concerned about. If you have an LED that isn't bright enough to see, other drivers or pedestrians won't be able to see or know your car is backing up.

#53 ·
I went out and took some pics. I purchased the 5K WHITE HIGH OUTPUT 21 LED BACK-UP LIGHT 7440 1000LM | 1 PAIR

Here, you can see the brightness being displayed onto my garage door as well as the spread of light. It actually slightly lit up my grass too but not visible on the camera.

Here is what it looks like on the display inside the car. Last image is with the brakes pressed.

#54 · (Edited)
^nice pics. The newer vans must have a better backup camera too, your display looks really clear at night.

I got some 30w LED bulbs from ebay, they help some but the resolution on my 2011 backup camera stinks at night.

I am currently looking into upgrading the rear camera and will splice into the factory camera wiring. I did buy a used OEM camera to test out, but since it was from an EX-L model without navigation, the connector plug is different (which I didn't know). So now I did buy a Touring/navigation model camera and its being shipped to me, so I will play around with it and try to splice in a better aftermarket camera. In the meantime, if anyone wants to buy my OEM EX-L rear camera to try this same project on their non-navigation equipped van, I listed it for sale in the classifieds section on here.

#56 ·
Yes, I agree. $65 is a bit pricey and I was hesitant on pressing the SUBMIT button when placing the order but VLED is reputable and you get your moneys worth. I also agree that it sucks about the stock coming back in March. They must of had a huge spike in sales from the Cyber Monday deal. I believe there are a few other items that are backordered for a few months.

With eBay there are many and most are not good quality. When ordering from eBay, you're taking a chance since you don't know if it's any good. Same goes for Amazon as they're sold by third party sellers.

For me, safety outweighs the price. I want to make sure that the reverse is visible not only at night but during the day as well.

Here is the reverse light in a slight shade.

And in direct sunlight. Even with the original bulbs, it won't be as visible in direct sunlight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.