Opti-Coat 2.0 cost = $650 nano skin - $150 Is it worth the cost ?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opti-Coat 2.0 cost = $650 nano skin - $150 Is it worth the cost ?

Opti-Coat 2.0 cost = $650 nano skin - $150 Is it worth the cost ?

I wanted get the Opti coat 2.0 for my 2 month old van. Called up the local autodetail guy and he quoted the following

NanoSkin : $150 (Windshield and all glass)
    Opti-Coat : $395
    Since to put on opti-coat it needs a prep and wax which will cost $250.

Website
    http://metropolitandetail.com/servic...paint-sealant/

Given that it rains all the time in seattle for about 9 months , is this worth spending that much for getting the opti-coat? is this really effective agains rain/water. Any one from seattle area can suggest a different detailing shop ?
    2012 Odyssey EX-L | Dark Cherry Pearl Red

Current Addons
    Body Side molding with Chrome Inserts
    Full LED interior
    Splash gaurds
    Door molding
    Interior Illumination package ( Is a joke)
    Door edge guards
    Fog lights

Future Mods
    HID --> Cancelled
    Audi style LED
    Turn indicators on side mirrors ( i just love those)
    Puddle lights on Side mirrors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bulleteer View Post
    I wanted get the Opti coat 2.0 for my 2 month old van. Called up the local autodetail guy and he quoted the following

NanoSkin : $150 (Windshield and all glass)
    Opti-Coat : $395
    Since to put on opti-coat it needs a prep and wax which will cost $250.

Website
    http://metropolitandetail.com/servic...paint-sealant/

Given that it rains all the time in seattle for about 9 months , is this worth spending that much for getting the opti-coat? is this really effective agains rain/water. Any one from seattle area can suggest a different detailing shop ?
    Hi bulleteer,

Before I begin, I have applied Opti-Coat 2.0 on 6 vehicles (My Odyssey, '00 Accord, + 4 side jobs, 08' FX45, Prius-C '12, and 2x Prius '12)
    Letting you know how much I know about OC 2.0 and feed backs from my customers (last side job was past July).
    Most feedbacks was postive, in the way of less dusty, less frequently have to wash the car and looks clean most of the time.

Now they rinse their cars once a week (plain water) and dry it, car look cleans again. Since dust come right off (best w/pressure washer)
    And they do a full wash (w/Shampoo) every two weeks or so to get tough dirt, road grime and contaminants out.

For me, I rinse (w/pressure washer) my Odyssey every 10 days, since mostly park in the garage. And the van does not look that dirty, I'll just leave it.
    And do full wash every 15-20 days to give a fresh look again.

And about rain in Seattle, we get rains too in San Francisco but not as much Seattle.

During raining, like last week.....raindrops just keeping running off the vehicle (water beading) nicely and dirt hardly sticks to the van/car.

Disclaimer: Not my video

re: NanoSkin on glass (have not use this product)......But I have applied OC2.0 both of my cars, to all windows beside Front windshield (used Rain-X) have the same effects of water beading.

Disclaimer: Not my video

Few pictures of me applying OC2.0 pretty every parts of the vehicle & the rims (no more brake dust sticking to the rims).....

Done applying to 2012 Prius, and still have 6cc left for the rims & ect.....

Ok, back to your main questions, does it worth $795???? If you Rich, YES.....Medium Class family, MAYBE......Like me saving $$$'s, NO

About NanoSkin Hydro Express 16oz.(can used on Glass) I guess this is the shop talking about??? Reg $12.99
    About Opti-Coat 2.0 (20cc) about $60 shipped
    About prep & wax...Kinda over price $250, since your Odyssey only 2-months old, Just fyi....saw couple of your local Craigslist, most detailer's offers Wash & Wax range $100-$134.
    Labor part will cost the most here $$$$$........

Hope I answered some of your questions.
    "My 2012 LX - Accessories on going Weekend projects w/Pics""
    My DYI's...OEM Weather mats,Console,Side-Molding l DDM HID kit l Chrome Pillars l Viper Alarm l Flip Key case l Windows & Sunstrip Tint l Sony Backup camera l 5"GPS mirror l Kenwood USB player l Opti-Coat 2.0 l Full Clear Bra l AVS Hood Deflector l WeatherTech Side Deflectors l BMW X5 rims l Foot Illumination l K&N Fliter l 11 Speakers upgrades l Front & Rear Parking Sensors l VIP Curtains l Painted Mud Guards & Side Skirts and more.

I agree nomorenow. If you can apply it yourself it is not bad, but like most paint shields, the bulk of the cost is in labor for the application and profit for the manufacturer and the shop. Dealers and detail shops love to tout the "warranty" that comes with the product, but the warranty terms are written in a way that their lawyers can get out of virtually any claim if someone fights the claim denial, so that part is generally useless.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K

Thank you very much for a detailed answer. Applying it myself is a great idea and i love to do it time permitting (may be thanks giving weekend). I used to wax/polish my hatchback myself van is a lot more work, how affective it is if applied in cold weather? I cannot think of sun coming up for another 5-6 months in here :-) , so question is , is it ok to apply in a cold weather or does it has a specific application temperature ? Do i also have to wax the car before applying opti-coat ? i could get the car waxed by a reputed guy for under $100 and apply opti-coat myself.

Current Addons
    Full LED interior
    Splash gaurds
    Door molding
    Door edge guards
    Fog lights

Future Mods
    HID --> Cancelled
    Audi style LED

Thank you very much for a detailed answer. Applying it myself is a great idea and i love to do it time permitting (may be thanks giving weekend). I used to wax/polish my hatchback myself van is a lot more work, how affective it is if applied in cold weather? I cannot think of sun coming up for another 5-6 months in here :-) , so question is , is it ok to apply in a cold weather or does it has a specific application temperature ? Do i also have to wax the car before applying opti-coat ? i could get the car waxed by a reputed guy for under $100 and apply opti-coat myself.
    DYI on Opti-Coat is not that easy and not that hard. Just watch few more video from youtube you'll get it down how is done.
    Just do one panel/area at a time with enough lighting, led headlamp, or flashlight and see any hot spots.

wax/polish is your choice by yourself or pay someone. Since your van is pretty brand new, the paint suppose Mint condition????

re: Weather....Chris@Optimum said, "Although heat will improve hardness and reduce cure time, the actual application temp needs to be 50-85 degrees to prevent early solvent flash that will significantly reduce working time. At higher temps, you would have to work in sections instead of panels and from my experience, you want to do a panel at a time."

The best is indoors/garage when applying OC2.0 with good lighting, after has been just full wash then dry. (I dried the vehicles in the garage, for better results, since SF always windy, dust flying).
    My DYI's...OEM Weather mats,Console,Side-Molding l DDM HID kit l Chrome Pillars l Viper Alarm l Flip Key case l Windows & Sunstrip Tint l Sony Backup camera l 5"GPS mirror l Kenwood USB player l Opti-Coat 2.0 l Full Clear Bra l AVS Hood Deflector l WeatherTech Side Deflectors l BMW X5 rims l Foot Illumination l K&N Fliter l 11 Speakers upgrades l Front & Rear Parking Sensors l VIP Curtains l Painted Mud Guards & Side Skirts and more.

So, basically, you need to have the car cleaned and waxed prior. Can I apply it right after or do I need to allow wax to situate on the cars surface first? Also, for future reference, does opticoat create its own layer above the wax? If so, does it get dull and do I polish it off before reapplying in future?

Opticoat sounds and looks awesome. Will do wonders on the White Diamond Pearl!
    White Diamond Pearl

Hmm, apparently its permanent and it chemcially bonds to the paint. Does this mean that it goes through the wax layer? If permanent and dulls, cant remove, and if reapplied will seal in whatever is beneath. Alsp apaparently, you are not supposed to wax your car prior, in fact, it seems that you are supposed to remove and polish out, which make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooyoo View Post
    So, basically, you need to have the car cleaned and waxed prior. Can I apply it right after or do I need to allow wax to situate on the cars surface first? Also, for future reference, does opticoat create its own layer above the wax? If so, does it get dull and do I polish it off before reapplying in future?

White Diamond Pearl

I decided to check with other guys in our area, so I dropped at good old auto detail guy (that i visited couple of times) and asked him about Opti-coat, on phone they said they wont do it. But when i walked in he recognized me by looking at my car (remembered the car rather than me hehehe..) and said he will do it if i can get the product by myself. He also agreed that i dont need to polish/wax car since its fairly new(will save $250), but will need a prep which is hand wash with solvent or whatever $35 which i am ok with. I also had him install Aquapel rain repellent for $20. The Wiper perfomance on my new car is so frustating not to talk about the rear wiper its pretty much useless.
    Back to work excited to place offer for Opti-coat 2.0

Current Addons
    Full LED interior
    Splash gaurds
    Door molding
    Door edge guards
    Fog lights

Future Mods
    HID --> Cancelled
    Audi style LED

Hmm, apparently its permanent and it chemcially bonds to the paint. Does this mean that it goes through the wax layer? If permanent and dulls, cant remove, and if reapplied will seal in whatever is beneath. Alsp apaparently, you are not supposed to wax your car prior, in fact, it seems that you are supposed to remove and polish out, which make more sense.
    These two guys has very good write ups about Opti-Coat 2.0, pretty detail. And have better answers than I do.

Opti-Coat 2.0: Application Guide & How-To - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

and this one

Opti-Coat prep - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Quick run down video from Autopia Car Care

I decided to check with other guys in our area, so I dropped at good old auto detail guy (that i visited couple of times) and asked him about Opti-coat, on phone they said they wont do it. But when i walked in he recognized me by looking at my car (remembered the car rather than me hehehe..) and said he will do it if i can get the product by myself. He also agreed that i dont need to polish/wax car since its fairly new(will save $250), but will need a prep which is hand wash with solvent or whatever $35 which i am ok with. I also had him install Aquapel rain repellent for $20. The Wiper perfomance on my new car is so frustating not to talk about the rear wiper its pretty much useless.
    Back to work excited to place offer for Opti-coat 2.0
    Glad you able to find help locally, now seen this route better than $800 route.

Got the product shipped. Fixed appointment on monday to get it applied. Can't wait. Any decal ideas ?? i m thinking about a flame .. dont know if it suites the van though.. and a golden eagle on the bonnet. Any other ideas are welcomed.

Current Addons
    Full LED interior
    Splash gaurds
    Door molding
    Door edge guards
    Fog lights

Future Mods
    HID --> Cancelled
    Audi style LED

Got the product shipped. Fixed appointment on monday to get it applied. Can't wait. Any decal ideas ?? i m thinking about a flame .. dont know if it suites the van though.. and a golden eagle on the bonnet. Any other ideas are welcomed.
    You might want to double check, i think you do want to remove the wax layer.
    White Diamond Pearl

Fyi...ive spoken with some detailers around my area and they are hesitant to do this. Apparently to do it right, you need to polish and get all the stuff off, even if the car is new. Many arent willing to do the prep that is needed because the costs and labor are too high. The cheaper guys all commented that they just need to clean the car prior to application, which is incorrect.
    White Diamond Pearl

Fyi...ive spoken with some detailers around my area and they are hesitant to do this. Apparently to do it right, you need to polish and get all the stuff off, even if the car is new. Many arent willing to do the prep that is needed because the costs and labor are too high. The cheaper guys all commented that they just need to clean the car prior to application, which is incorrect.
    You got me thinking. Coz the guy i talked to told me that he did do it for some guy before and it didnt go well. Seems he took it out in rain immediately after applying it and it all went crazy. Not sure how much of it is true. I found another guy called northwest Auto salon in our area who is familiar with Opti-coat. Will call up that guy and check his prices before going to this guy.
    Also thinking if i could get the prep done by any autodetailer and install the opti-coat myself. Is there a proper install instructions anywhere ?

Current Addons
    Full LED interior
    Splash gaurds
    Door molding
    Door edge guards
    Fog lights

Future Mods
    HID --> Cancelled
    Audi style LED

Is there a proper install instructions anywhere ?
    Got it : Opti-Coat 2.0

Current Addons
    Full LED interior
    Splash gaurds
    Door molding
    Door edge guards
    Fog lights

Future Mods
    HID --> Cancelled
    Audi style LED

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements