A few questions about our new Odyssey.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A few questions about our new Odyssey.

A few questions about our new Odyssey.

Not bashing the Odyssey, my wife's really loves it but I've got a few issues.

First, do they not make a carpet/mat for the center isle when the seat is removed? Salesmen seemed confused on that one. Neighbors 05 or 06 odyssey has one.

Are there only 5 speakers in the Ex-L with RES? One in each front and sliding door and the sub? Kids are always asking us to tun up the volume if they are in third row. I know we can fade the sound more to the back but it just sees lacking. Our 2008 T&C never had this issue.

I know I shouldn't compare it to our T&C but when you come to a stop and put it in park, even though the sliding doors are locked, you could still hit the open button and they'd open. With the Honda you have to Park, unlock all the doors (which doesn't seem safe, if that's what they're going after) and then open the sliding door. Not a huge deal but I wasn't sure if I missed a setting.

All in all, we are happy with it so far.
    2013 EX-L with RES

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by de8212 View Post

With the Honda you have to Park, unlock all the doors (which doesn't seem safe, if that's what they're going after) and then open the sliding door. Not a huge deal but I wasn't sure if I missed a setting.
    Mine unlocks all doors when I put it in park. I also had them program mine to lock after so many feet traveled so I can pull out of the garage and my wife can get in before it locks.
    I'm the last to open the owners manual but I bet there is a way to program it....or just go back to the dealer salesperson and have him do it. They are constantly trained on how everything works.
    Last edited by John U; 02-02-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Tanks John. I've read through the manual but I wouldn't doubt I've missed it.

So, your wife doesn't get in in the garage??? Either way, I like the idea of how you've set it up.

And ours locks too when we get out. Every now and then I've walked through the garage and wanted to look at something only realizing its locked and the keys are inside. Not a big deal, I'm sure it can be changed.

I'm kinda mixed on the salesperson. He told us to come back Friday and he would go over all the features. He even penciled me in on his calendar. Got there and he was closing a deal with another customer so he let someone else take over. They couldn't answer some questions so another guy had to come over. I was really surprised at the lack of knowledge they had on tons of things. I remember when we bought the T&C the salesman spent 30 minutes or so just going over everything. Not a big deal because I'll figure most of it out over time.
    2013 EX-L with RES

I just programmed my '08 to lock all doors when put into gear, and unlock when put into park. This seemed to be the most convenient setting for me. You still have the option to manually lock and unlock doors while in park with the door switch.

I've searched the manual which eludes to adjusting various settings with the lights/locks/etc. but I can't find anything in the actual van to access this.

Seems odd if these are only for Touring and Elite.
    2013 EX-L with RES

Be sure to note the salemen's lack of knowledge on the Honda followup survey. My rep was very knowledgeable and works hard to maintain his certification with Honda. Slackers only lead to bad feelings after spending all that money. My rep programmed my phone went over the navi in depth.
    I'd call the GM of the dealership and ask for the "true" new car experience you missed.... With someone who is educated!
    Last edited by John U; 02-02-2013 at 02:03 PM.

I've searched the manual which eludes to adjusting various settings with the lights/locks/etc. but I can't find anything in the actual van to access this.

Seems odd if these are only for Touring and Elite.
    Customizing the Auto Door Locking/Unlocking Setting*
    "You can customize the auto door locking/unlocking setting to your liking using the master door lock switch."

In the Owner's Manual 2012, It starts on page 117-119.
    "My 2012 LX - Accessories on going Weekend projects w/Pics""
    My DYI's...OEM Weather mats,Console,Side-Molding l DDM HID kit l Chrome Pillars l Viper Alarm l Flip Key case l Windows & Sunstrip Tint l Sony Backup camera l 5"GPS mirror l Kenwood USB player l Opti-Coat 2.0 l Full Clear Bra l AVS Hood Deflector l WeatherTech Side Deflectors l BMW X5 rims l Foot Illumination l K&N Fliter l 11 Speakers upgrades l Front & Rear Parking Sensors l VIP Curtains l Painted Mud Guards & Side Skirts and more.

Yeah, you can program your door lock ..to just unlock the driver door when in Park or all doors...by default, it just unlock the driver door....I want to unlock all doors too...but for the safety with the kids and others, l just leave it to just unlock driver door only.

For the knowledge stuff, I stopped by service department for about the recall and then ask other features for the van..the service guy could not figure stuff out...he took a long time..I even gave him a hint to get someone else..finally he went and got a technician out.
    - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE Smoky Topaz/Truffle
    - 2010 Honda Freed E Navi Sport Alabaster Silver Metallic -- SOLD
    - 2008 Honda CRV EXL 2WD Glacier Blue Metallic/Gray -- SOLD
    - 2006 Honda Odyssey EXL NAV&RES Slate Green Metallic/Olive -- SOLD
    - 1998 Honda Accord EXL V6 Heather Mist Metallic -- R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by huy30 View Post
    Yeah, you can program your door lock ...
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorenow View Post
    Customizing the Auto Door Locking/Unlocking Setting*
    "You can customize the auto door locking/unlocking setting to your liking using the master door lock switch."

In the Owner's Manual 2012, It starts on page 117-119.
    Thanks. I knew I had overlooked something. Guess it just can't do what I want it to do. I want it to allow you to open either sliding door when in Park no matter if the door is locked or not. I'm probably being too picky since it was a feature on the T&C.

Another thing I noticed is it's a bit difficult to park since you can't see the front end. I'll get use to it....hope my wife does.
    2013 EX-L with RES

I know I shouldn't compare it to our T&C but when you come to a stop and put it in park, even though the sliding doors are locked, you could still hit the open button and they'd open. With the Honda you have to Park, unlock all the doors (which doesn't seem safe, if that's what they're going after) and then open the sliding door. Not a huge deal but I wasn't sure if I missed a setting.
    I'm really annoyed by that too. I want the door to open anytime I push the button and the car is not moving. I don't want to have to push the unlock button first and I don't want all my doors to unlock when I put the car in park.

Quote Originally Posted by adr5 View Post
    I'm really annoyed by that too. I want the door to open anytime I push the button and the car is not moving.
    I acknowledge that there is a lot of nanny-ing in the Odyssey, but what guarantees that the car won't start moving from a full stop position? I can imagine the soccer dad/mom turning the head to help while on "Drive" and letting inadvertently the brake go while passenger loading and offloading, I've seen that with hinge-door cars. Park gear is not that bad for that.

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements