Hi how soon should I have the timing belt replaced for my 2011 odyssey EX?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi how soon should I have the timing belt replaced for my 2011 odyssey EX?

Hi how soon should I have the timing belt replaced for my 2011 odyssey EX?

Right now I'm just a little over 60K miles. I remember someone told me it's 80k miles but I want to make sure. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

It should be 105k
    2013 Ody Touring Elite Smoky Topaz
    2009 Ody Touring w/LazySusan
    2007 Ody Touring W/PAX

Lots of miles still to go!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I'd say around 160000km's (100000miles). I would only change some fluids like tranny oil, engine oil, coolant and maybe a brake flush.
    Last edited by odysseyman1; 02-23-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    '12 EX RES WDP Fresh Obsessed
    - oem fog lights
    - oem all season mats and cargo tray
    - oem interior illumination
    - oem door sill garnish
    - LED interior and license plate lights

Thanks for all the input. I'll probably change before 100K. My other car's timing belt is only rated for 60k. The dealer just changed engine oil before delivering the car so I guess I'm good for another 6 months or 7500 miles. What's the best engine oil to use? I've been using mobil one synthetic on my other cars and seems to be good so far. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bulkwarrior View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I'll probably change before 100K. My other car's timing belt is only rated for 60k. The dealer just changed engine oil before delivering the car so I guess I'm good for another 6 months or 7500 miles. What's the best engine oil to use? I've been using mobil one synthetic on my other cars and seems to be good so far. Thanks.
    Mobile1 0W20
    2012 Odyssey Touring (Canadian spec) Crystal Black
    2013 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2006 911 C2S

0W20? only 20? I thought the higher the number the more viscosity which makes the engine last longer. In the past I usually use 5W30(or 0W30 when my local walmart carries it) or 10W40(for summer). I wonder if 20 offers the same protection. When you do a cold start, the more viscous the oil, the less wear to the engine.

0W20? only 20? I thought the higher the number the more viscosity which makes the engine last longer. In the past I usually use 5W30(or 0W30 when my local walmart carries it) or 10W40(for summer). I wonder if 20 offers the same protection. When you do a cold start, the more viscous the oil, the less wear to the engine.
    Check your owners manual and you will find that Honda recommends 0W20. Modern oils, especially synthetics, have much better lubricating capabilities and the quicker circulation and better flow of the lower weight oils are recommended for today's engines with tighter tolerances.
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K

I'd wait till the MM shows #4 service due. That would include spark plugs and valve adjustment.
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

Go buy 4 quarts of Honda DW-1 tranny oil. The plug is facing the passenger side. It has a 3/8 square drive to remove. It takes 3.3 quarts to refill.

Hey, if you go to a good dealer for service and the service manager is honest, he or she will not advise you to replace timing belt prior to 100,000 miles even if you visit the service while your Ody is at 85K miles, the service manager still would not advise you to replace it. It happened to me that I took my Honda accord 4 years ago and my car was at 87K miles, and I stated that I wanted to have a timing belt replacement, and with honesty the service manager didn't want the money for something that is not recommended for due time service. so, the guy asked me to come back if the mileage is around 98 - 105 K mileage and he would replace it for me. so that was what I did.. I came back for service at 101K mileage.. happy as a customer.

Is this even necessary? Does the owners manual state anything? My 04 Accord has a chain, and therefore no replacement is recomended. I will double check my manual to see what it says.

OK just checked, yup, timing belt, oh well, I hate those things...I plan on following the recommended schedule...

The Ody belt is a beefy thing easily able to hit 105k miles. I recently did my 03 for the second time. I did the first conservatively at 95k thinking I'd never need to do it again, but surprise, the van still runs like new at 201k miles. When I pulled the belt at 200k, it still looked practically new.

Honda started selling cars in order to be able to make more engines. If anybody knows how to make 20 wt engine oil last, it's them. If it lets you sleep better (or if you tow a lot), use the same brand oil but mix 0w30 and 0w20 half and half.
    2012 EX (hers) 03 LX (reserve force)
    2013 Chevy Cruze Eco (stick!) commuting average 40mpg

Gone:Caddy CTS (neutered, aka auto trans), Jetta 1.8T (stick!),95 & 02 Saturn SL (stick!)

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements