Check Blind Spot System MID Message
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Check Blind Spot System MID Message

Check Blind Spot System MID Message

Curious if anyone has received the Check Blind Spot System intermittently on Multi-info Display.

If I turn BSI off completely, the dash indicator light comes on and the system stays off. Behaves as I would think it should in the off mode.

But occasionally, seems like after/when parked in the garage?, the BSI will get kinked up and when it is on stay stuck with the Check Blind Spot System.

Turning off and on sometimes will clear it and other times it seems to fix itself after several minutes while other times a 30 minute drive will not reset it.

I searched the forum and the internet and don't seem to find any references to others seeing this Info message.

Anyone have any experience like this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

so far i dont see this...
    - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE Smoky Topaz/Truffle
    - 2010 Honda Freed E Navi Sport Alabaster Silver Metallic -- SOLD
    - 2008 Honda CRV EXL 2WD Glacier Blue Metallic/Gray -- SOLD
    - 2006 Honda Odyssey EXL NAV&RES Slate Green Metallic/Olive -- SOLD
    - 1998 Honda Accord EXL V6 Heather Mist Metallic -- R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by joe.kappa View Post
    Curious if anyone has received the Check Blind Spot System intermittently on Multi-info Display.

If I turn BSI off completely, the dash indicator light comes on and the system stays off. Behaves as I would think it should in the off mode.

But occasionally, seems like after/when parked in the garage?, the BSI will get kinked up and when it is on stay stuck with the Check Blind Spot System.

Turning off and on sometimes will clear it and other times it seems to fix itself after several minutes while other times a 30 minute drive will not reset it.

I searched the forum and the internet and don't seem to find any references to others seeing this Info message.

Anyone have any experience like this?
    What year and trim level is your Ody?

Here is information from the service manual. When "Check Blind Spot System" comes on in the multi-information display (MID), a DTC is stored. It would be nice to know what the DTC is. You need the HDS to obtain it.

NOTE: The BSI system cannot work properly in the following driving situations:

In rainy, snowy, or foggy weather.

When receiving a jamming signal from outside.

When followed by other vehicles at a curve in a road.

Another vehicle is getting close to yours when turning right or left.

When the rear bumper is deformed.

When the sensor is out of place.

In places where there is a guardrail, pole, or tree.

When an area of bumper around the installed sensor is soiled.
    2008 Odyssey Touring non-PAX
    Silver Pearl Metallic w/ Black Interior
    Mobil 1 5W-20 with Honda Oil Filter 15400-PLM-A01 or 15400-PLM-A02
    Shell (or other Top-Tier Gas)
    Honda Care 6yr/120K from Bernardi Honda
    WeatherTech FloorLiner (1st, 2nd, 3rd Row)
    WeatherTech Cargo Liner (Coverage Area: Behind 2nd Seat)

TSBs applied: 07-045 (Brake Pedal Is Low and Feels Soft), 08-080 (Wind Noise or Rattle From Front Doors), 09-053 (Product Update: Lock-Up Clutch Judders Between 2045 MPH / PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch Function), 10-024 (No XM Sound, But XM Station Information Is Displayed)

Safety Recalls applied: 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

Warranty Repairs: Torque converter replaced at 38,349 miles, Water passage replaced at 38,349 miles, HOSE A, WATER, HOSE C, WATER, and RUBBER, THERMOSTAT MOUNTING replaced at 39,673 miles. Second software update (unreleased and released) applied to PCM

sorry i left the model off, it is a 2011 touring elite, bought cpo a few weeks ago.

yes the diag code would be key and it is at least nice to know that one is generated and stored each time so they can pull them when/if i get to the dealer.

you don't by chance have a list of the possible diag codes so i can cross-consider them against those reasons for the condition they suggest?

i will say one of them seems to coincide with the apparent relation to the garage start and depart in the last few weeks with the possibility of "fog" inside a housing or something related to the radar/sonar. however....there are lots of odyssey owners on this board that would have some similar experience....but then again it was rainy in central va today and it stayed on the longest i have seen....

i'll need to look up where the sensors are as well, i presumed in the side mirrors but are they on the rounded corner of the rear bumper and double as the parking sensors as well?

thanks and i am surprised there isn't much reference to others having this random issue....

my wife reports the BSI has gotten a tad wonkier and alerting intermittently perhaps....

more when i find out

The plot thickens. I traced out the circuits involved in the Blind Spot system and found that there is another fuse panel in the rear so that brings to four fuse panels of which i am aware. The fuse for the BSI is #13 at 7.5A and it appeared fine but i swapped it with a brand new one. same error behavior still occurs with the BSI.

the sensors themselves are the same as for the parking, just the the rightmost and leftmost rear buttons on the bumper and BSI doesn't seem to use the middle two sesnsors. there is an additional processor right on that harness for BSI but the sensing is from the same place as parking.

all that seemed fine. HOWEVER, the rear of the right wheelwell is noticeably different (and i am guessing miss-shapen) from the left side. they are definitely different and the left side appears to be the better/factory formed.

so i am suspicious that there is something either contorting the right side of the whole bumper enough to make the sensor error because of "When the rear bumper is deformed. When the sensor is out of place." from above.....

Or simply there has been some mishap in on or around the wheelwell or bumper that has resulted in a flaky sensor or bsi control unit.

I have an appointment at the dealer next friday where this will be presented for their consideration. This was Certified Pre-Owned with a life history of about a 20 mile radius and there was no indication that any major damage had ever occurred. i suppose we are going to find out what the threshold of minor is because there aren't many places one can buy a replacement black 2011 bumper assembly without a dealer knowing....

more after next friday

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements