Remote Start for 2014 Odyssey
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

    Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81

Thread: Remote Start for 2014 Odyssey

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    2

    Remote Start for 2014 Odyssey

    I noticed on the Build Your Honda website that the remote start option for the 2014 Odyssey is now called the "Remote Engine Start System II". Other than the remote fob being a different shape, does anyone have information on the changes from the system available for the 2013 models? From what I read, the previous system seemed awkward to use.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    123
    I think I read the new Accord offers this system, but you still have to carry around both this key and your normal key, so I don't understand what's changed. It's still a very bad design and IMO Honda should be ashamed that they don't offer such a basic feature (by today's standards) as a factory installed feature, at least on the Touring or TE. Heck, my inexpensive 5 year old Saturn Aura has it built into the factory remote, no extra charge, no dealer add on... just a standard feature.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    296


    The new MDX has the remote start integrated into its fob. So the Ody will surely get it soon.
    2014 Silver Elite

    Past
    2001 Ody EX
    2004 Ody EX NAV
    2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2011 Ody Elite

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Posts
    173
    The extra fob does not bother me as much as not being able to start the car and then open the doors and load up as it cools off or heats up.

  6. #5
    Registered User BigBoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,231
    I stumped upon this video, it does not specify what remote starter is using (OEM or after market)


    - 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)


    Save the Manual Transmissions!

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    74
    I can say that the 2014 system is different from the 2013 version but it functions pretty much the same with a separate key fob. The main difference being now is that it support the "push start button" that the higher trim levels have.

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by iron_man View Post
    I can say that the 2014 system is different from the 2013 version but it functions pretty much the same with a separate key fob. The main difference being now is that it support the "push start button" that the higher trim levels have.
    The manual for the new remote start is very poorly written. From what I can decipher on the page below, you should be able to walk up to the running car and open the doors just by grasping the door handle. So no need to unlock with the remote starter. I assume the engine will stop as soon as that happens though....

    Remote Start for 2014 Odyssey-imageuploadedbyautoguide1376056136.507837.jpg


    Sent from AutoGuide.com App

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    41
    Hi Folks, sorry to revive an old thread, but I had promised I would report back when I had a chance to finally try out the 2014 Remote Starter on my TE.

    Well, the temperate was only 9 degrees here in NYC today so I used the remote starter to warm up the car on my way home from work. I work on the 34th floor of an office building, and I had parked the Ody about a block away on the roof of a 5 story parking garage. I can see the garage from my office. I was able to successfully start the car while sitting at my desk and packing up for the day. When I walked over to the van less than 10 minutes later it was warmed up and running. Also as expected, when I reached for the door of course the engine turned off as the door unlocked, but it was simple enough the start the van again with the push button. I'm pretty impressed by the distance this thing reaches!

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by bogody View Post
    Hi Folks, sorry to revive an old thread, but I had promised I would report back when I had a chance to finally try out the 2014 Remote Starter on my TE.

    Well, the temperate was only 9 degrees here in NYC today so I used the remote starter to warm up the car on my way home from work. I work on the 34th floor of an office building, and I had parked the Ody about a block away on the roof of a 5 story parking garage. I can see the garage from my office. I was able to successfully start the car while sitting at my desk and packing up for the day. When I walked over to the van less than 10 minutes later it was warmed up and running. Also as expected, when I reached for the door of course the engine turned off as the door unlocked, but it was simple enough the start the van again with the push button. I'm pretty impressed by the distance this thing reaches!

    With the remote start system that Honda installed on my 2014 EX, once the van has been remotely started, the original key fob is rendered useless (and there is no automatic unlocking if I touch the door handle); I have to use the remote key fob to unlock the door. What you have written seems to imply that after a remote start, the automatic unlocking still works for you. Is this the case?

    I feel turning off a remotely started engine on entry is poor design (because there were better ways to make the system secure), but deactivating the original key fob is just plain stupid... So, I was wondering if it was by design, or is there was a problem with my remote start system.

    sylco
    __________________________________________________ __

    2014 EX

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by sylco View Post
    With the remote start system that Honda installed on my 2014 EX, once the van has been remotely started, the original key fob is rendered useless (and there is no automatic unlocking if I touch the door handle); I have to use the remote key fob to unlock the door. What you have written seems to imply that after a remote start, the automatic unlocking still works for you. Is this the case?

    I feel turning off a remotely started engine on entry is poor design (because there were better ways to make the system secure), but deactivating the original key fob is just plain stupid... So, I was wondering if it was by design, or is there was a problem with my remote start system.

    sylco
    Yes on my TE there is automatic unlocking when I touch the door handle. I agree that it is a poor design that the car shuts off upon entry. Also the size of the fob is insane.

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    91
    Thanks for the confirmation bogody.

    Just to make sure, your TE has automatic unlocking to the touch, and this function is still available after your van has been remotely started with the remote key fob. Is that right? My EX has automatic unlocking to the touch, but this is deactivated (well the whole original key fob is deactivated) when the van is remotely started. The dealership told me there is no way around this.

    Concerning the size, my remote key fob is rather small, but it is still a drag to have two fobs to carry around...

    sylco
    Last edited by sylco; 01-08-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __

    2014 EX

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by sylco View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation bogody.

    Just to make sure, your TE has automatic unlocking to the touch, and this function is still available after your van has been remotely started with the remote key fob. Is that right? My EX has automatic unlocking to the touch, but this is deactivated (well the whole original key fob is deactivated) when the van is remotely started. The dealership told me there is no way around this.
    That's correct. Maybe the dealer installed the 2013 version of the remote starter on your EX?

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    91
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    I will be spending quite a lot of time at the dealership trying to have them fix the transmission and the suspension, so I guess I will have plenty of time to discuss the remote starter issue as well. I'm in for lots of fun discussions...
    __________________________________________________ __

    2014 EX

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    41
    Wow transmission too on top of everything else? I needed a transmission repair as well, we were at only 5k miles, but fortunately it was just a pressure switch. I hope this gets resolved ok for you. Let us know how it goes. BTW Honda's website has some info on Remote Starter II if you need any more documentation. Check the picture of the key fob, I suspect yours looks differen.

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    91
    When we purchased the remote start system in the original package, they had two models, the one I picked and a more sophisticated one which I now believe might have been the Remote Engine Start System II. We were told that the only difference was a feedback from the vehicle on the higher end system. We didn’t have a need for that so we went for the more basic model. But never were we told that you could not enter the van with the original key fob when it had been started with the remote key fob... and that the engine would shut off upon entry. When I complained about the remote system during a subsequent visit, the service advisor (and the service manager) apparently didn’t know about such problems. They even called the people who installed the system and I could listen to the conversation... It seems that, indeed, people at service had never seen such problems. At that point, I was told that nothing could be done about the engine shutting down, but the fact that the original key fob and the automatic door unlocking were inoperative after remote start was not discussed much... and I was mainly concentrating on having them looking at the transmission and suspension problems, which are much more critical...

    sylco
    __________________________________________________ __

    2014 EX

  17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. DIY: Remote Start Install for 2011-2012 Odyssey (Python 574)
    By acousticallyblu in forum 2011 + Odyssey
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-28-2014, 11:08 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2013, 10:55 PM
  3. 98 Odyssey remote start - Cannot locate TACH feed wire
    By Noridetoolow in forum Audio, Video, Security & Navigation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 04:17 PM
  4. Viper 5101 Remote start on 2011 Honda Odyssey
    By dkkishor in forum 2011 + Odyssey
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 06:06 PM
  5. 2004 Odyssey EX remote start
    By Mr. DS in forum Audio, Video, Security & Navigation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2