2013 Odyssey-First Oil Change
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2013 Odyssey-First Oil Change

2013 Odyssey-First Oil Change

My Ody is approaching the 6 month mark but I haven't taken any long trips yet.

I only have driven about 1600 miles and my oil life is 60%.

I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that oil should be changed at least every 6 months.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

First thought should be to search. The 2nd to read the owner's manual. There are over a dozen threads on first oil changes in the 2011+ forum alone.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

The MM (maintenance minder) will tell you when to change the oil. Or you could change it out at 5K miles, it's an easy number to remember.
    2013 EX-L Alabaster Silver Metallic

Morimoto 3Five 5000K Elite HIDs / OEM foglights

Cool! An oil change thread!

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

Six months is as long as I would go with natural engine oil. Even when the engine is not running, it can produce internal condensation that the oil must deal with. This counteraction depletes the additives in the engine oil that can only be replaced by changing it.

I don't think the MM considers downtime. I say this because some new cars sit on the lot a long time, yet the MM seems to always show full oil life upon delivery.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

The oil used in the 13's is synthetic, so you could go longer than 6 months. I don't know about the Honda MM because ours gets driven too much, but other vehicles do take time into account.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoat View Post
    Cool! An oil change thread!
    That made me snort, well done!
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

Quote Originally Posted by wscan View Post
    The oil used in the 13's is synthetic, so you could go longer than 6 months. I don't know about the Honda MM because ours gets driven too much, but other vehicles do take time into account.
    You're right - thanks for the correction!

The factory fill engine oil is full synthetic made by Idemitsu. It's apparently a high quality oil.

According to Owners - Honda Service - Maintenance Calculator, an oil change is due at 12 months regardless of mileage.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements