Differences between 2012, 2013, and 2014 Touring models?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences between 2012, 2013, and 2014 Touring models?

Differences between 2012, 2013, and 2014 Touring models?

I previously had a 2008 Touring and it was just totaled this week. Usually I research and research before I purchase a car and I find myself in a hurry because I'll have to be buying something in the next week.

I am debating on whether I should get a used 2012 or 2013 Odyssey or a new 2014. Is there a place that has all the differences listed out in excruciating detail? I have seen some sites that list very generically things like "2014 adds push button start" or "6 speed is now standard on all models". I was wondering in detail what the differences are. I noticed that the 2014 has another screen for the stereo.

I have found a 2012 with 20k miles for about 6k less than a new one. Just wondering if the features of the 2014 are worth the difference to me.

Also having owned a 2008 and been really satisfied with it is there any feature/comfort that you find is missing on the newer models that was present on the 2008/9/10

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

First, sorry to hear about your accident, I hope everyone got out of it and is doing well.
    Moving onto your question:

2014 is the first year after the refresh of the 4th Gen, so yes there are some body style differences, different hood, front grill, foglights, headlamps have black housing, LED tail lamps, new wheels and color matching and rounded side view mirrors. Interior wise, biggest changes are as you state: Push button start, dual green audio/navi and the marketing gimmick of the decade, the vacuum in the trunk for TE (at least to me it is...). Another big plus the 2014 has is that Honda made some updates to the chassis and strengthened it to do better in a small overlap accident, and overall chassis rigidity has been improved. [it should be noted that 2011 - 2013 still did better than any competitors, there are some threads on this].
    The biggest negative of the 2014 in my opinion (and many share this opinion) is the Navi lockout when the van is in motion. So if you have a passenger they cannot input an address or POI in the navi while the van is in motion. Next, I personally don't like that they did away with the little tray under the audio commands that the 2011-2013 have, they also moved the USB from the glove box to center stack just below the audio controls. I liked it in the glove box so that my iPod could be out of the way. 2014 also only has 1x 12V outlet in the center stack, previous years have 2x 12v outlets.

We have a 2011 TE, the only thing I wish we could have from the 2014 is the proximity key / push button start and the improved chassis. Other than that, interior wise, I prefer the knob audio/navi controls because I think they are faster and cleaner [plus I have problems with finger prints on stuff so the touch screen would drive me nuts] but adding to that the navi lockout when van is in motion really kills the deal for me. Exterior improvements, the new blue color looks great, I saw one at the dealer the other day. We live in Florida, our van is white and honestly, I don't find the white looks that much better with the new design so that's just personal taste.

Comparing 3rd and 4th gen. Well biggest complains that I remember reading about is styling
    Other than that, some miss the 2nd row captain chairs. Also if I remember right the 3rd gen had adjustable pedals, 4th Gen does not. Also, I think some have said 4th gen has less room for the driver (I'm not too tall so I'm ok, I just find the dead pedal to be way too big though).
    We test drove a 2010 before buying our 2011 (both vans were new) and I thought the 2010 touring we drove was much louder than the 2011 we bought. However, be careful and drive the van you are going to purchase at highway speeds because 2011 - 2013 have a wind noise issue (ours did, we had the TSB fix and it was resolved). Now I read that some 2014 have whistling noises that seem to be coming from the windshield seals at the top or bottom of the windshield.

Make sure you comb through the ody you are about to purchase. They seem to be putting them together in a bit too much of a hurry. Some in the past I know had paint issues, others have had door jam issues where water would get past the rubber seals. With ours I'm noticing now that on the tailgate some rust seems to be showing through the pain. It looks like yellow/orange dots in some areas showing through the white paint.

Anyways, I'm sure I'm forgetting something but someone here will most certainly fill in what I've missed.

white color is prone to show oxidation, use a clay bar to remove it then seal it with some good wax.

Thanks for the info! That is really helpful. I told my wife about the Nav lockout and she responded "you shouldn't be messing with that while you are driving anyway". I think it is a pain because we often do long road trips and I will use that to find the next gas or mcdonalds for the kids while we are driving. In West Texas there is no risk of hitting anything except maybe a tumbleweed.

You can still do that I believe. If you are driving you can still say, "find nearest fast food" or "find nearest gas station" I think. Others will correct me if I'm wrong. This is my 4th Honda with Navi and the first with the lockout so I could be confusing things. On the upside, you no longer have to actually press "OK" to get the map to display.

Quote Originally Posted by TriKKyOne View Post
    On the upside, you no longer have to actually press "OK" to get the map to display.
    OMG! Is this only on the 2014? This might seal the deal for me. I know it sounds petty but I HATE that and it reminded me every time I started the van!

Here is a thread to go through differences between 2012/13 and 2014. I know it may be long, but worth reading:

2014 Odyssey Details at Vtec.net

Other things to keep on mind if you are jumping from a 3rd gen, just in case. There are so many rants here in the forums:

- The 4th Gen "Touring/Touring Elite" TPMS does not have individual tire PSI readouts, just the basic TPMS low tire pressure dashboard light
    - It's wider, it does not fit in some garages according to some members
    - It does not drive like the 3rd generation sports Odyssey (although handling/dynamics is actually improved, including braking)
    - 2nd row inner seat armrests missing and the fact that they can no longer slide together

- Oh, and people are also missing the PAX tire system, what is Honda thinking? (just kidding )

And whatever you buy, test drive it, also test drive it... and ask your wife to test drive it. It sounds funny, but no returns are available once you sign the dotted line

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

Quote Originally Posted by TriKKyOne View Post
    You can still do that I believe. If you are driving you can still say, "find nearest fast food" or "find nearest gas station" I think. Others will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes, I think is something like that. The manuals with all the voice commands is here (Navigation Manual). Download and check under "Voice Commands". They look like a long list, but worth reading if you want to use the OEM navigation:

Where do I get my van's Owner's Manual?

I've owned a 2011 EX-L and now own a 2014 TE. I liked how my 2011 drove, but I love how my 2014 drives, it is definitely better. Not fitting in some garages? wow, someone must have a very small not a standard size garage. I've driven a 3rd gen Odyssey and to me it does not drive better at all than the 4th. gen. I would love to have second seat inner arm rests but it is not possible with the current design and the fact that all three seats are separated is a big plus for us (3 kids). I also love all the other bells and whistles that come with the TE except the vacuum cleaner (who needs that in the car?) I love the bigger mirrors with the euro glass on 2014 but wish they would fold to protect them from being hit while parked. Love the tap turn signal option and the keyless start with proximity sensors. I would really like to have an active cruise but that would probably bump the price by another 2 grand.

What I really miss is the small phone compartment under the climate control and the retractable cup holder currently occupied by a DVD player which by the way does not play Bluray discs!?!? I also don't like that on 2014 steering wheel does not lower as much as it did on my 2011 and an MFD that looks smaller and not as user friendly as 2011 was. USB's new location. Not a fan of round fog lights either and the fact that there is only two parking sensors on the front bumper.

Despite all of my personal dislikes I still think that 2014 is a better van than my 2011 was and MUCH better than any of the competition IMHO.
    Last edited by OdysseyTE; 01-04-2014 at 03:59 PM.

The 2014 models also have the improved frontal crash ratings with the beefed up front cage. To me, that alone was worth the cost of buying a 2014 over a used 2013/2012.

Hello, I moved from the 2007 Touring to the 2012 TE. The previous posts were spot on in regards to the differences! I test drove several 2014 Tourings and TE's before going with the 2012 with 15K miles and 12K less price.

On the 2012 TE, I don't think you can play the Bluetooth source through the rear speakers; could be wrong but could find that option. It's almost like you have to copy mp3 to the harddrive and play from there.

Definitley less driver room but still comfortable.

Handling is surprisingly nice. I have the OE Michelins "T" rated tires on it still compared to the 2007 Touring, I was running "V" or "W" rated stuff and with the Touring's bigger swaybars, it was predictably tight in the curves. The 2012 handles nicely. Can't wait to add lowering-springs, 20" rims and some stiff rubber and see what this 2012 can do.

One thing I like about the 2014 Touring (not available on the TE) is the passenger-side-mirror camera that displays on NAV screen when activating the right turn-signal. It gives a perfect view of the blind spot. Why it's not available on the 2014 TE is a MYSTERY to me.

Funny, you guys on here know more about the differences than those dealer sales folks. You think if you sold cars, you take the time to be able to explain to customers the features and benefits of your products..wishful thinking I guess.

If anybody knows how to get the Bluetooth source to play throught the rear channel, let me know.
    Last edited by WilliamShop3; 01-04-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

So today we managed to get a sitter for the kids and spent about 4 hours looking at vans. We first went to the Toyota dealer to check out the Sienna. We had narrowed our requirements down to leather, nav, res, and memory seats. All of the options we really think we used all the time on our 2008 touring. (I am super tall and my wife is super short we swap cars often because of car seats and who has what child so we love the memory seats). We looked at an XLE (didn't have memory seats) and a Limited. The problem was the limited was almost 47k MSRP. All the limiteds they had (must have been 6 or 7) had the premium package which was over 4k. The package includes stuff we don't need like reclining middle row seats (like a la-z-boy) and wide screen entertainment etc... We asked if you could get a limited without the premium package and they told us that the vans without the premium package don't have the memory seats. So we would have to buy seats with foot rests to get memory and those seats will have car seats latched to them permanently. Crazy. Plus being 6'3" the front seat has to be all the way up and the back seat is useless when reclined so it is the most ridiculous option I have seen. I am not a foreign dignitary so I don't need those seats on my van. Plus the tracks for the seats are huge gaps in the floor. I can see fruit snacks, goldfish, cheeze-its and all sorts of good stuff being crunched in those tracks. And they were greased which makes it even more lovely. We didn't even drive the van it just seemed like it wasn't a good fit. In fact our salesman used to work at the local Honda dealer and told us that he would recommend we get another Odyssey (he owns one and recommends it over the Sienna). He said he would call if he can figure out a way for us to get memory seats without the reclining feature etc...

Then we went to the Honda dealer. First I would like to say we had the most useless car salesperson I have ever met. They had been selling cars for 3 months and when I had a question would give me an empty description that really didn't even address the question. I don't mind if they get back to me but to just ignore or blow off my questions like they aren't important is ridiculous. I understand the idea of a no pressure sale but you should still be somewhat informed on the product you are selling above and beyond descriptions like "It drives nice". We were fortunate to be able to drive a pre-owned 2012 touring and a 2014 touring. The 2012 we drove first and it rattled and creaked and was pretty abused. I am not sure if that van had major issues and that is why it was traded in but it was pretty bad. My 2008 before it was wrecked seemed like a Lexus compared to that van. I was highly disappointed.

The 2014 was amazing! I am sold. I wish I wasn't because I would like to save some money but I really liked that van. It did have the "OK" on the nav system so am I missing something or do you need the Touring Elite to get rid of that? I think the wheels look awful on the 2014. I was also surprised by how much I like the right lane camera. That was really cool. I think in my eyes the 2014 has enough extra goodies on it to justify buying a new van. The push button start, right camera, dual screens, etc... were all better to me and made it look more comparable to the competition.

Anyway on the 2012 I am concerned by how bad that van was. Are a lot of 4th gen owners seeing their vans start to rattle and creak like that or is that a problem van? Our 2008 was pretty quiet and after we had the buffeting side window problem fixed was really quiet. When we heard a rattle we knew it was some random toy that got lodged somewhere not the van itself. The 2012 was crazy noisy and just felt floppy.

I would rank the vans like this:
    2014 touring - 2008 touring - 2013 Town and Country (our rental) - 2012 touring (yes it was that bad).

If you are looking at Touring, have you considered the Elite? For me, the 3K difference is worth it for the much better audio, HIDs, Dual input RES, blind spot monitoring on both sides (but you lose the video on the passenger side), and the HondaVac.

I actually like the wheels

Now ow you have me wondering about the nag screen on the navi. Does anyone else with a TE not have to press "OK"?

Navigation should be the same for all trims that have it. Perhaps the confirmation screen goes away on its own after sometime w/o pressing OK

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoat View Post
    Navigation should be the same for all trims that have it. Perhaps the confirmation screen goes away on its own after sometime w/o pressing OK
    Yep, after about 5 secs or so. As far as the trim, it is either EX-L or TE, everything else doesn't make sense. at least to me.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements