Need to leave doors open on 2014 Odyssey EX-L?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to leave doors open on 2014 Odyssey EX-L?

Need to leave doors open on 2014 Odyssey EX-L?

I've had Odysseys in the past which I've used for field work -- so I've left the sliding doors open as well as the liftgate for ease of access. Did the same thing with the 2014 Odyssey and it drained the battery. Dealer said that the push button start "knows" that when the doors are open the car is not really turned off and drains the battery. Dealer also said they don't know any work-around for this problem. Is that right? I can think of a gadzillion reasons that people might want to leave their doors open for a while. Does anyone know a way to get around this smart key problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

That certainly seems to be a problem with the car. I have a 2013, while it does not have the push-button start, if I leave the doors open for a period of time, the car shuts the interior lights off so that the battery does not drain. I would think they would have implemented something similar for the 2014. If not, they should have. Sorry that I do not have a direct solution.

Quote Originally Posted by wscan View Post
    That certainly seems to be a problem with the car. I have a 2013, while it does not have the push-button start, if I leave the doors open for a period of time, the car shuts the interior lights off so that the battery does not drain. I would think they would have implemented something similar for the 2014. If not, they should have. Sorry that I do not have a direct solution.
    same on 2014. internal light dims after a while even doors are open. don't know if battery gets drained or not after that.
    2014 Ody EX-L

I have a 2013 and did not have any problems starting up the van after finding that the sliding door was left open for a day or 2 in the garage by the kids.
    2013 Odyssey EX-L Smoky Topez Metallic / Truffle
    - 3rd row sunshades with Polk Audio DB351 speakers
    - Polk Audio DB651s speakers 1st/2nd row
    - Honda OEM hitch
    - Airlift 1000
    - Tru cool 4454

Quote Originally Posted by MAOdyssey View Post
    I've had Odysseys in the past which I've used for field work -- so I've left the sliding doors open as well as the liftgate for ease of access. Did the same thing with the 2014 Odyssey and it drained the battery. Dealer said that the push button start "knows" that when the doors are open the car is not really turned off and drains the battery. Dealer also said they don't know any work-around for this problem. Is that right? I can think of a gadzillion reasons that people might want to leave their doors open for a while. Does anyone know a way to get around this smart key problem?
    I suspect there is a difference between merely leaving the doors open and leaving the ignition on. Did you verify the ignition was actually off and not in the accessory or run position, which would be equivalent to leaving the key in the accessory or run position in keyed vehicles? I guess it's not quite as obvious with the keyless system. FWIW my local dealer has a few on display in the showroom with the doors open 24/7 and no dead battery problems.

Yes, the ignition was definitely off. I've re-created the problem a few times. The 2013 functions just like all the older Odysseys -- no problem. But the push button start/smart key on the 2014 does cause the problem. Dealer says having the smart key in your pocket with the doors open makes the vehicle "know" that the Odyssey isn't really turned off. I really need a work-around for this problem -- please, anyone?

Yes, the ignition was definitely off. I've re-created the problem a few times. The 2013 functions just like all the older Odysseys -- no problem. But the push button start/smart key on the 2014 does cause the problem. Dealer says having the smart key in your pocket with the doors open makes the vehicle "know" that the Odyssey isn't really turned off. I really need a work-around for this problem -- please, anyone?
    Very bizarre. We actually did an experiment at the dealer where we locked the fob inside the gas door to see if the vehicle would detect it, and it did not. So you're saying you have the fob in the proximity of the doors where it does detect it, and that's what is draining the battery? Or is it because the interior lights are turning on when the fob is detected and that is what does the draining? Perhaps manually turning off the lights will solve the problem? Sounds like you may have uncovered a bug in the design.

Owner's Manual, pages 143 and 144. The car pretty much works on the same way as the pre 2014, just make sure you follow the right switch-off sequence, mostly because you cannot take the key in the pre-2014 unless the shift lever is in (P)

As a note:

If you leave the vehicle for 30 to 60 minutes with the shift lever in (P) and the power
    mode in ACCESSORY, the vehicle automatically goes into the mode similar to
    VEHICLE OFF (LOCK) to avoid the battery drain.

If that is not working then tell the dealer is not doing it according to specs

- 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (theirs)
    - Red Radio Flyer Tricycle (theirs)
    - Red Cars Theme Scooter, retractable (theirs)
    - Fisher-Price Jumperoo (SOLD)
    - My other people mover w/5MT (theirs)

Save the Manual Transmissions!

"Vehicle Off" apparently can't happen if the doors are open, according to the dealer. Still no resolution for this problem. I am not leaving the vehicle in accessory power mode, but maybe the smart key is doing that after I exit the vehicle. With the smart key, it's pretty much impossible to know what modifications the Odyssey is making and when. Any more ideas from anyone? And thanks to all who have responded.

"Vehicle Off" apparently can't happen if the doors are open, according to the dealer. Still no resolution for this problem. I am not leaving the vehicle in accessory power mode, but maybe the smart key is doing that after I exit the vehicle. With the smart key, it's pretty much impossible to know what modifications the Odyssey is making and when. Any more ideas from anyone? And thanks to all who have responded.
    It is not clear from reading the OP messages why the key fob is in the proximity of the car while the door are open for an extended period of time. That seems rather odd the owner will keep the fob in the car and still leave the doors open. Did I misread the note or that is the scenario?

MAOdyssey,

I too have difficulties understanding what the exact problem is.
    From what I gather so far, it should be possible to leave the doors opened without battery drainage if the vehicle is left in “Vehicle Off” mode, but you find that this is not the case because the vehicle might not stay in this mode while the key fob is detected. Is that it? But where is the key fob exactly? In one post, you seem to imply it is in your pocket (while you are in the vehicle, I suppose), but in another post, you say that you exit the vehicle at some point (while the doors remain opened). Could you clarify this.

Maybe there is a particular problem with your vehicle, but maybe this is by design and there is a good reason why the vehicle cannot stay in “Off” mode when the key fob is detected inside or very close to the outside. It would nice to know if this is by design or not. I think it would be a little strange to have the system work that way because there are many ways (depending on users’ behaviour) this would become problematic. When summer time comes, I too will be doing stuff in and around the minivan for hours with the doors opened so this issue is of concern to me.

In any case, you could test if this problem is caused by the key fob being in a location where it can still be detected by the vehicle which than exits the “Off” mode; just put the key fob in a faraday cage so to prevent communication with the vehicle. You can make a quick homemade faraday cage by wrapping your key fob in two or three layers of tin foil and making sure there are no openings left. This will work, I just tested it. So, all you will need is to bring a large enough tin foil sheet with you and when you are ready to do your field work, leave the doors opened, put the vehicle in “Off” mode and then wrap the key fob. Test that the shielding works by failing to start the vehicle or putting it in accessory mode. If you find that the battery still drains, it is not caused by the key fob being detected.

If the problem is solved and you have made sure that this is not a problem that is specific to your vehicle (other people here can confirm if they have the same battery drainage issue), you can purchase pouches especially made for key fob isolation. These are made with security reasons in mind, but they will do the trick for you... Or you can use any homemade faraday cage if you prefer.

Wireless RF Isolation Key Fob Security Select Fabricators Inc

sylco
    __________________________________________________ __

2014 EX

Use an ammeter to identify the circuit that is drawing current when the doors are open. An unidentified electrical problem (e.g. stuck relay) could be the culprit. If so, your warranty would take care of it.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zymöl wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

If you put the fob inside the gas door the van will not detect it.

Thanks for the responses and ideas. The key is in my pocket at all times. In the situations I've described, I am working at a considerable distance from the Odyssey but I do go back to the vehicle for tools, equipment, etc. as I need them. So our thinking is that when the vehicle detects the key upon my return, the vehicle insists on being "on" and refuses to be "off" after that.

Since it's hard to know what the vehicle is "thinking", the idea of the faraday cage is very useful. I'll try that and see if it solves the problem. As I've said before, I can think of lots of reasons that people would want to leave the vehicle doors open, so I'm concerned that Honda may have an unplanned consequence of the new smart key. For example, what if I want to sit in the vehicle with the doors open and read the paper while my spouse goes shopping? Is there no way to do that without draining the battery?

Great idea! Thanks!

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements