2014 Transmission
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Transmission

2014 Transmission

So with the 2014 Odyssey, all models have the 6-speed transmission that was only on the higher models from previous years.
    The issues with the 3rd/4th gear in the Odyssey - is it still applicable to the new 6-speed transmission?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I don’t know about other owners of 2014 models, but my EX has shifting problems; the most serious one is harsh downshifts with jerking and excessive compression (like a motor brake effect):

EX 2014 - Transmission/motor problem?
    __________________________________________________ __

2014 EX

Hey everyone,

we have had our 2014 Touring Elite since November and the transmission has been slipping since day 1. Does anyone else seem to have this problem? It happens when slowing down in between 3-2 gear mostly and at various other times. I've had many Hondas and have never had this be the case especially with a brand new one.

Excessive engine compression braking due to what I consider to be early downshifts when off throttle at lower speeds, but the behaviour is inconsistent. Better performance and behaviour than with the 5 speed on our 2011 Odyssey. We sold that van after 35 months last week, replacing it with a 2014 6 speed model. We have a 60,000 mile power train warranty in case anything fails. Unsure why Honda hasn't been able to correct the condition in the 6 speed - the transmission has been in use for over 3 years in the Touring and is used in Acura products.

Now that we have just passed the 1k mile mark on our 2014 TE, I've noticed that the 6AT shifts a little smoother when I brake, turn and accelerate moderately hard out of the turn. I still get an occasional hard shift if I accelerate a little too aggressively after slowing. So either the 6AT has adapted or I have. My TSX Wagon, OTOH, has no such issue. You can go crazy and it'll shift smoothly from and to any gear. But I still notice the engine braking a bit when the ECO light come on and while the car cruises. It doesn't bother me too much though.
    2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite - Diamond White Pearl/Tan Interior
    2012 Acura TSX Wagon with Tech
    2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD (Traded for Ody)

I have a 2014 that is doing the same thing shifting down to a lower gear with a huge thud, especially like the earlier post around 10 MPH which I believe is shifting down to 1st gear. I have also noticed it sometimes when I accelerate and it drops down to 2nd gear. Took it to the dealer and they obviously said no problem. I had a Nissan minivan for 14 years it it just started doing that after 150000 miles. This must be a wide spread problem since I'm not the only one experiencing this. What should we do next?

I bought 2014 Honda odyssey ex-l last month and has ~1500 miles. As some of the other owners reported, I have same feeling about transmission smoothness at low speeds - but I'm guessing its normal for 2014 odyssey. But I'm also hearing/feeling some flapping noises during gear shifts - seems like its more prominent at lower speed. I could hear or feel up-to 50 mph (i.e. during gear shifts) and not sure if they are happening above that speed or not. This typically happens during my morning commute where I need to slowdown and then accelerate a bit to stay in sync with moving traffic, no noise on slowing down but when I accelerate lightly I hear this flapping sound (like if you try to stop moving fan wing with some object, like trrrr...), it just lasts may be a second or two (I guess it stops when gear transition completes). I wouldn't describe this as very load noise - may be passengers might have trouble hearing them - or to them may sound like engine revving. Since this sound coming during light acceleration - may be something going wrong during downshifting? If I accelerate hard - either I don't hear this sound or hear it for a very short duration (fraction of a second may be). It feels like the sound is coming from front of the van. This is very annoying - as in morning commute I'm stuck at 35-50 mph range and its keep happening during entire commute route (~30 mins). Not sure this is a normal behavior for odyssey or not and like to get your opinion on this. I'm planning to take van to dealer but I have feeling they are gonna just brush it off as "normal" transmission operation sound (based on past experience with toyota dealer).

The 6 speed in our 2014 with 1,200 miles on it is crap. Herky/Jerky downshifting at slower speeds, you take your foot off the gas the car costs for a split second then heavy engine braking jerky the car slower. A real crowd pleaser in stop and go traffic. Two things that are good about my situation; (1) I have an EX-RES so I don't have more money in this joke than I have to (to haul kids around) - Thankfully I didn't pop $50,000 for a "Touring" model with the same transmission; and (2) this is my wife's daily driver and I haven't heard her complaining about it.

Owner of CPO 2012 Touring Elite here for nearly a week now. Found more than a couple of transmission issues.This is my biggest complaint - Harsh downshifts with sudden jerking and increased RPM as happens with heavy engine braking. Happens when you take the foot off the gas pedal and coasting to a stop. Looks like they need to remap the downshift points while coasting to a stop. It is very annoying. Otherwise a fantastic vehicle.
    2012 Avalon Limited, Magnetic Grey - Wife's
    2012 Odyssey TE, Alabaster Silver - Family Hauler

OEM
    Moonroof Visor
    Window Visors
    Roof Rails
    Crossbars
    Body Side Moldings
    Splash Guards
    Door-Sill Garnish
    All Season Floor Mats
    Cargo Tray
    Wheel Locks

Interior/License Plate LEDs
    Kolite/Sylvania 6000K

VLEDs
    2 Red Mini-squares for High-mount Stop
    Red 194 6 LED for Tailgate Lights
    Red V3 Triton Tail/Brake
    Amber V3 Triton Turn Indicators

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul Dravid View Post
    Owner of CPO 2012 Touring Elite here for nearly a week now. Found more than a couple of transmission issues.This is my biggest complaint - Harsh downshifts with sudden jerking and increased RPM as happens with heavy engine braking. Happens when you take the foot off the gas pedal and coasting to a stop. Looks like they need to remap the downshift points while coasting to a stop. It is very annoying. Otherwise a fantastic vehicle.
    I can't believe I didn't notice it when I test drove the demo unit. Also, on our '14, the MID control is about 3/4 of a second behind every control knob input. Very frustrating interface.

I haven't measured the delay but it is in fact delayed..I didn't catch it either during test drive.

This morning I went to test drive 2014 Honda Odyssey as a prospective buyer (to check if transmission problem I'm seeing is present in other 2014 vans or not - see my post on 4/2/14). Low speed transmission performance is pretty similar to my van - I complained to the sales guys and he said 'who drives like this in real world?' - didn't get into much argument with him but I believe this is pretty common for majority (or some lot) of 2014 Odyssey vans. The fluttering noise between the gear shift - I could not reproduce for almost all of the test drive (hill driving and highway driving) but suddenly we hit patch of road (with slight hill) with stop and go traffic and while feathering the accelerator around 40 mph - I could feel this fluttering noise/vibration, I asked the sales guy if he could hear it - at first he couldn't and once I got hang of it I reproduce couple of time for him and he could finally feel it (its not a loud noise or vibration and very subtle). We talked to the service guy afterward and he said well its demo car and everybody pounds it and its not braked-in properly - then I pressed more and said come'on its Honda with just 6k miles - then he goes may be its normal transmission operation sound and each car has its own sound..I don't believe him. I personally think may be something went awry in some lot of Honda Odyssey vans - either some transmission part misaligned or balancing problem within some rotating part (just like wheel imbalance cause vibrations at certain speed).
    The slight noise/vibration doesn't bother me that much - but what I'm worried about is long term impact on the van's transmission. I like to keep my cars for long time (more than 10+ years) and even if in future Honda agrees and replaces transmission - rebuilt transmission doesn't last as much (friend's 2009 accord rebuild transmission gave up again at 20k miles and I know many stories like this from friends and family first hand). Feels like I should have stick to my initial choice of van (sienna) but my wife liked Honda's handling and interior way better than sienna - hence I got this dud...This is will be my last Honda I ever owned, that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsmith View Post
    I haven't measured the delay but it is in fact delayed..I didn't catch it either during test drive.

This morning I went to test drive 2014 Honda Odyssey as a prospective buyer (to check if transmission problem I'm seeing is present in other 2014 vans or not - see my post on 4/2/14). Low speed transmission performance is pretty similar to my van - I complained to the sales guys and he said 'who drives like this in real world?' - didn't get into much argument with him but I believe this is pretty common for majority (or some lot) of 2014 Odyssey vans. The fluttering noise between the gear shift - I could not reproduce for almost all of the test drive (hill driving and highway driving) but suddenly we hit patch of road (with slight hill) with stop and go traffic and while feathering the accelerator around 40 mph - I could feel this fluttering noise/vibration, I asked the sales guy if he could hear it - at first he couldn't and once I got hang of it I reproduce couple of time for him and he could finally feel it (its not a loud noise or vibration and very subtle). We talked to the service guy afterward and he said well its demo car and everybody pounds it and its not braked-in properly - then I pressed more and said come'on its Honda with just 6k miles - then he goes may be its normal transmission operation sound and each car has its own sound..I don't believe him. I personally think may be something went awry in some lot of Honda Odyssey vans - either some transmission part misaligned or balancing problem within some rotating part (just like wheel imbalance cause vibrations at certain speed).
    The slight noise/vibration doesn't bother me that much - but what I'm worried about is long term impact on the van's transmission. I like to keep my cars for long time (more than 10+ years) and even if in future Honda agrees and replaces transmission - rebuilt transmission doesn't last as much (friend's 2009 accord rebuild transmission gave up again at 20k miles and I know many stories like this from friends and family first hand). Feels like I should have stick to my initial choice of van (sienna) but my wife liked Honda's handling and interior way better than sienna - hence I got this dud...This is will be my last Honda I ever owned, that for sure.
    This will be a 2 - 3 year van for us, instead of a long term hold. In addition to the transmission, we are 1/2 way through a 400 mile round trip and I can't believe the wind whistle coming from the mirrors and somewhere at the top of the windshield. Shocking - really!

I'm new to this forum - let me know if this is a wrong thread to post it..
    I'm in a market for a new van - we test drove sienna but really don't like the interior. Yesterday morning we were at Honda dealership for test drive and we really like odyssey styling and most important interior. We went for test drive and after driving about 20 minutes, i started feeling slight vibrations, seems like they were coming at 35-50 mph speed upon light accelerations (not continuous but only when I depress gas pedal slightly). I switched with my wife and asked her if she felt anything..she too confirmed the vibrations, according to her it was transmission shudders (my wife's family owned auto garage and she knows quite bit about car, more than me for sure). Strange thing is transmission was very smooth at local roads and when you press the gas pedal relatively hard. I found this issue on interstate driving upon low acceleration. After the test drive we talked to master tech at Honda and all of us went for test drive again. We reproduce the behavior and tech said this is normal for Honda, according to him it was transmission lugging - my wife disagreed - according to her lugging has feeling of stalling but to her the vibration felt like going over rumble strip (but not very pronounced). They offered us to drive another brand new van of the lot - but we needed to leave due to baby sitting situation.
    My wife is due in end of april with 4th one - and I really need to decide quickly on van purchase. Do you guys think the vibrations upon light throttle are normal for oddy (is it really transmission lugging)? According to wife transmission shudder always results in major transmission issue down the road. I'm really confused now, there aren't many choices in minivan segment and we are looking for reliable minivan that can last at least a decade (mostly due to our financial situation). I know Honda would stand behind their product but with 4 kids I don't think we would energy to deal with transmission issues - if it comes down the road. Last night I searched for '2014 honda odyssey transmission issues' and come across this thread. Please provide your opinion on this. Thanks in advance.

@Bobsmith, @4thontheway - The light vibrations are most likely not transmission related. What you are feeling is the VCM (Variable Cylinder Management). The engine will run on either 3 or 4 cylinders under no load or light load conditions. This is usually indicated by the ECO light on the dashboard. When under light load, you will feel small vibrations due to this mode. If you press on the accelerator a bit more, the vibration goes away when the engine goes back to 6 cylinder mode. There is also an audible component to the vibration. The audible component is somewhat masked by noise cancellation done by the audio system. The physical vibrations are reduced by an active engine mount.

Thanks @wscan for the reply. Actually this is what the sales guy told us (its vcm saving us money...) when I first complained but when we drove on relatively traffic free interstate vcm light came on and off multiple times and we didn't feel any vibration (or even a hint of it) at all. I should have read @bobsmith's post carefully - I'm seeing behavior exactly what he has described...when we test drove the van on relatively traffic free road, transmission felt very smooth (at all speeds, even going from 0-50 was exceptionally smooth) but once we hit patch of traffic, things went down hill in terms of transmission smoothness and I started feeling this vibrations. Vibrations were coming irrespective of eco light. But all the vibration were only coming during coast and then slight accelerations to keep up with traffic (that;s how we drive and traffic).
    Honda tech said - it wasn't VCM - according to him nobody should feel VCM at all (otherwise it will drive you crazy bcas at the rate that was going on and off). According to tech, Honda has set shifting point in a way to maximize the fuel economy at the expense of comfort or ride quality (hence he was referring to transmission lugging, he said people who drove manual should understand what lugging is and unfortunately I don't). I asked him if honda can change those shift points in future and he said very unlikely because it would change the mpg and they have filed mpg with epa - so changing it means they might face law suite or refund to owners (he said similar incident happened with Hyndai motors). I personally felt Honda tech was very honest person.
    My father in law is still works in garage, will call him tonight and see how many bad Honda transmission he is seeing in his shop for 4th generation ody - its definitely not very scientific way to know reliability but just to get some perspective.
    Also, I was checking how many sienna owners seeing transmission issues or any major drive train issues - on sienna owners web site and they have very few incidents (I was looking for toyota sienna 2011 model onward problems). Most of the issue are related to cosmetic items like door rattle and panel rattling and things of that nature. Also if you google search for just 'transmission issues' - Honda vehicle searches comes on top (mostly odyssey, accord, ridgeline and acura). There are separate web sites for Honda transmission issues - which I find quite intriguing.
    Sorry if I'm off the topic here...if any of the other owners felt the similar behavior and did it get worse or remained same after first observing it? If any of you checked with Honda and what their response? (VCM or transmission lugging?, or something else). Thanks advance.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements