Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Is there any tool that can read "Transmission Temperature" through the OBDII port?

59K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Skione65 
#1 ·
Is there any tool that can read "Transmission Temperature" through the OBDII port?

Vehicle: 2014 Honda Odyssey.

I have a bluetooth OBDII port adapter. The DRIVE android application (written by Richards Strickland) states it can read "Transmission Temperature," but it doesn't have an option for Honda (just Toyota, Ford, GM, Crysler, etc). Does anybody use an android application with the vehicle's OBDII port to read "Transmission Temp?" I know it can be done, but I don't know what application can do it.

#3 ·
I've got the Garmin Eco Route HD and a regular actron OBD scanner that both work with our Odyssey. I would think that it should read most codes, though the specific one that you are looking for may not be suported. I have a friend that uses the Torque app on his Toyota with great success.

#4 ·
I got this post from the Piloteer guys:Tranny temp sensor? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

This is for SCANGUAGE and not yet translated for for the Android apps: TORQUE or DRIVE. I imagine TX and RX are transmit and receive. I'm guessing the PID number is 2808, but I'm not sure how to scale it into Celcius or Ferinheit.

Does anyone know how to program this sequence of numbers into TORQUE / DRIVE? Can anyone confirm the PID number is Transmission Temperature for Hondas? Anyone got this working on SCANGUAGE or other? I'm hoping I've got it here

Hoping someones done this before and can post some wisdom. I'm not yet willing to install a true sensor in the transmission fluid lines (may void Honda warranty?)

POST FROM PILOTEER SITE (for Honda Pilots)___________________________________________________
This great. I've been thinking about adding a tranny temp gauge for a while. I already have a scangauge and I'm going to try the XGAUGE tonight. For everybody's benefit, here's the code from the Ridgline link above:

TXD:1DF1222201
RXF:032400000000
RXD:2808
MTH:00090005FFD8
NAM:ATF

* Scangauge version 4.06 or later needed for the update

#7 · (Edited)
Success reading transmission temperature

I just got my Scangauge II back from the factory after having the software updated to the latest rev (4.12). Using the XGauge codes I got off the Ridgeline site, I'm getting a reading
of transmission temperature on my '09 EXL. This should work on models from 2007 up. 2006 and earlier use a different protocol on the CAN bus.

Codes:
Transmission Fluid Temperature
TXD: 1DF1222201
RXF: 032400000000
RXD: 2808
MTH: 00090005FFD8
NAM: ATF

#9 · (Edited)
Yesssssss!! Thanks Peter, for the ScanGauge codes. I installed 'em yesterday and have ATF temperature readings. Thanks again!
Jerry O.

#10 ·
Out of curiosity, what are you seeing for "normal operating temps" for your Tranny? I have a ScanGauge II and need to program the code, but the Odyssey is my wife's daily driver, so I won't be getting a good idea of temps any time soon.

#11 ·
Sounds like people have had good luck with the scangauge tools. Unfortunately, I myself have not gotten my Android phone to log transmission temperature. From the posts, sounds like it may be possible with some fiddling around. I tried for a while back, but couldn't seem to get it to work.

Before I drop down $150, has anyone been able to configure an Android app to get this to work on the latest generation Odyssey? Torque for Android? Drive for Android?

#13 ·
Much thanks to freddie32001. for the groundwork! Totally awesome.

I'm going to buy one before I tow my camper to Yosemite this Spring.

Any thoughts on mounting options for latest generation Ody?

No mount - Bracket Only
Velcro Mount & Bracket ( +$1.95 )
Vertical Surface Mount & Bracket ( +$5.60 )
Vertical Surface Mount & Velcro & Bracket ( +$7.55 )
Horizontal Surface Mount & Bracket ( +$6.00 )
Horizontal Surface Mount & Velcro & Bracket ( +$7.95 )
Windshield Mount & Bracket ( +$7.95 )
Windshield & Velcro Mount & Bracket ( +$9.90 )

Which option did you choose?

#16 ·
freddie32001,
That looks like it came from the factory - very integrated!

I would like to do the exact same thing.

I've been looking at the pictures for a while, and I can't figure out how you did that? Did you have those plastic trim pieces made custom? You have it fitting PERFECTLY!

#17 ·
freddie32001,
That looks like it came from the factory - very integrated!

I would like to do the exact same thing.

I've been looking at the pictures for a while, and I can't figure out how you did that? Did you have those plastic trim pieces made custom? You have it fitting PERFECTLY!

#18 · (Edited)
Pete,

i bought a used vent off of eBay, an extra replacement case from ultra gauge, 2-part urethane liquid epoxy platic. I cut the vent to fit the scanner, mounted the case in place, then poured the plastic in. Once the plastic hardened, I then pulled the case out. Then I had to do lots of grinding sanding an lots of plastic body filler, professional grade automotive primer and paint. to get the end result. It was really time consuming and expensive, but the time money and effort was worth it. 20 hours of labor over the span of 3 weeks and $150 in materials. I'm going to make another one this summer and will try to document step by step. Have you seen my front lip spoiler project? Lol, I get these crazy ideas and can't sleep until I make them reality. I have spent many years in the automotive industry, body work, painting, custom fabrication, welding. I have found over the years that nothing is impossible.

im still working on the vent piece as I type this, I'm making the vent wheel that adjusted the vent into a power switch, also making the ultragage sprung loaded so I can press the top of it pops out just in case I need pull it out to access the buttons on back

#19 ·
freddie,
That's totally cool. Sadly, I could never do what you've done -- too hard. I'll probably go with a simple clip which attaches to the AC vent. The primary driver probably would prefer to have it put away most of the time, except for when we're towing. That's where I need to keep an eye on Trans Temp.

Where are your pics to all your custom mods. The front fascia looks nice in the thumbnail.

#22 ·
I'm not the handy type so hence my question: Why do you want to know the temp? What will you do with the info?
Is it just a "geeky know my vehicle thing"? or is there something to do with the info?

Thanks, John

#23 ·
Trans temp is important when you're towing. Even with a transmission cooler installed (think radiator for your transmission), when pulling up a long grade on a hot day, transmission temperatures can get up there. Above about 250F, seals and transmission fluid start to degrade. Hotter can cause total transmission failure, which is the common concern.

I plan on slowing down or pulling over when it gets too hot. Don't want to destroy my Ody's transmission, so it's important to know exactly how hot it is.

#25 ·
Plus Honda did not have the greatest reputation with their older Ody transmission and transmission fluid. Having the ability to keep track of the transmission temp under a variety of driving conditions could give one a better idea how well his transmission fluid is holding up.

It is also nice to know the temp of your motor oil, along with oil pressure. The UltraGauge gives one the ability to access all the information that is in the vehicle's computer. If you have Check Engine light come on, you instantly know what the code is. A trip to Honda to have them access the code reading would cost as much as the cost of the UltraGauge.

#26 ·
I realize this is an older thread, but was hoping on some insight on getting the Transmission Temp via OBDII for a 2015 Honda Odyssey. The PID posted on this thread (see below) doesn't appear to work on my 2015 Odyssey.

TXD:1DF1222201

RXF:032400000000
RXD:2808
MTH:00090005FFD8
NAM:ATF

Has anyone had success on retrieving Trans Temp on a 2015 Honda?

#27 ·
Wow that ultra gauge mount looks great! I was just thinking about how to mount one to my Accord Hybrid. Maybe I need to try this for the HAH and the Ody!

#28 ·
Bought the Ultraguage MX a week ago to monitor coolant temperature, since I'll be installing the VCMuzzler as soon as it comes in! Also wanted to monitor the trans temperature, voltage, and alternator amps. I posted a picture of where I put it. This seems like a very good reader, and very fast updates also. Still trying to determine the gauges.

Anyone know why the alternator amps reading is low? Or does this particular alternator engage only sometimes depending on the electrical load?

Car Vehicle Vehicle audio Center console Technology

#29 ·
Bought the Ultraguage MX a week ago to monitor coolant temperature, since I'll be installing the VCMuzzler as soon as it comes in! Also wanted to monitor the trans temperature, voltage, and alternator amps. I posted a picture of where I put it. This seems like a very good reader, and very fast updates also. Still trying to determine the gauges.
Very interesting, I'll have to check that one out.

Anyone know why the alternator amps reading is low? Or does this particular alternator engage only sometimes depending on the electrical load?
Doesn't look low to me. Alternator amps should mirror electrical draw from everything in the van. What were your running conditions? How does that reading change when you turn the lights, defroster, and blower motors on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.