Honda Odyssey Forum banner

License garnish trim mod - Make an EX, EX-L look like a Touring Elite!

61K views 62 replies 41 participants last post by  JStanley 
#1 ·
An easy way to make your 2014 EX or EX-L look at lot better, imo! My wife couldn't stand the large painted plastic chrome piece right above the license plate. Also, it was always getting smudges and fingerprints that looked messy and showed easily. So, I ordered the License Garnish, RR. from a 2014 touring elite, part# 74890-TK8-A41 from Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store for $95 and installed this afternoon. Its a very easy swap that anyone can do in about 15 - 20 minutes tops.

First step is to pop off the license plate access trim piece (about 15" x 6") from inside the tailgate. Now reach inside to the left and unplug the lock/unlock switch and gently push the grommet out. Next, use a small 8mm to loosen the three 8mm nuts (one each to the left, center and right). After a few 1/4 turns you should be able to remove the nuts by hand now. Keep the 3 nuts nearby as you will need them to install the new red garnish piece. Careful not to drop any of the nuts while unscrewing and removing them or you may have to take a lot more the tailgate apart to retrieve them! Now gently squeeze the center white plastic connector and push out the existing chrome garnish.

Take you new, awesome looking, clear red trim piece and prepare to install. First, you should gently work the new switch grommet into the metal cutout first then slide/push the new piece into place. Hand tighten the three 8mm nuts and finish tightening with wrench, but be careful not to over-tighten and crack the plastic! (there's not a lot of weight there). Plug the wire connector back into the unlock switch, replace the tailgate trim piece and you are DONE! See, piece of cake! Let me know if you have any questions or need any pictures of the steps, although, once you remove the trim piece and look around you will see that's it pretty easy and straight forward.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: rich_ywg
#13 ·
Sweet! That's what I was thinking just to add red film on it. Where did you get that done in Calgary?

#22 ·
Yeah, like almost $10k extra.

Don't get me wrong, I think its neat what everyone is doing here with the taillight upgrade, but with all due respect, unless you have the painted 18" rims, Xenon headlights, fog lights, and of course, the "Elite" emblem in the rear, you will be tagged with being the "wannabe Elite" or the "Bogus Elite".

#14 ·
Hey, I live in Winnipeg, canada. Went into my dealership and inquired about pricing back in April, and 3 months later I got a call from the dealership saying I had parts waiting for me. Never ordered it, but it arrived anyways. So I just payed for it and threw it on.

My old chrome garnish would allow light to leak through at the top from the licence place bulbs. The touring red garnish has a nicer rubber seal on it and with it installed I no longer have the light bleeding through. Very happy camper here. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Trunk Minivan
Car Vehicle Honda odyssey Honda Minivan

#15 ·
Hey, I live in Winnipeg, canada. Went into my dealership and inquired about pricing back in April, and 3 months later I got a call from the dealership saying I had parts waiting for me. Never ordered it, but it arrived anyways. So I just payed for it and threw it on.
How much did it cost from your dealer parts counter if you don't mind me asking?

#18 ·
There is no light behind the garnish. If you look, the original was chrome. All they did was replace it for a red one. Its just for looks and has no actual purpose.

#21 ·
Interesting. Our '15 EX-L is neither chrome nor red but body colored. Was actually looking into getting the chrome trim too.

#23 ·
Our '15 EX-L is chrome

#27 ·
I am looking at making it like the 14+ tails with the LED lit acrylic rod that connects all the way across. I just have to find the time to do it.

#36 ·
Finally had some time to do this mod too...!

Installed 2014 OEM Honda part # 74890-TK8-A41

Only thing I opened was the Lic plate bulb access door..

Plenty of room to get all 3 - 8mm nuts :nice:

We really like how it looks now with a continuos flow.!!!

Enjoy - Joe Z

Attachments

#40 ·
I'll say it again, but this time for the bolts... it's really obvious once you get the little panel open. I'm the most clumsy guy I know, well, apart from my 11 y.o., and I even managed to do it without one of the nuts falling down the rear hatch.

#44 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.