Honda Odyssey Forum banner

creaking in struts in BRAND NEW 2014 Odyssey

14K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  hoya7127 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone! We just bought our new 2014 EX Odyssey about 10 days ago. We LOVE the van...BUT...at 300 miles it developed a creaking noise in the front driver's side wheel area of the van upon initial acceleration and to a minor extent when going over bumps and turning at slow speeds. It makes the most noise upon initial acceleration though. It creaks and pops. I told my wife it sounds like an old pirate ship. We took it to the dealer service department and they replaced the struts. They said it must have been a bad batch. Well...a few hours after we picked the van up, it started making the noises again and got progressively worse over the Labor Day weekend. I just dropped it off at the dealer again and the service department is great, but they told me that Honda knows of a problem with the struts, that they redesigned them once, but the problem persists and that Honda is designing new struts. They said only some of the vans have the problem but that they would look at the van again but the most likely conclusion is that we have to live with this minor annoyance until a fix becomes available. What??? $30K later and creaking struts at only 300 miles (replaced) and at 500 miles creaking just as badly and we have to live with it until who knows when? I know it's not the service tech's fault. In fact they have been very kind, but I am very frustrated that we simply have to live with this until who knows when.

I read that the 2011 Odysseys had a similar problem and that the dealers had to apply a special grease and re-torque everything. I am a little upset because with only 500 on the ODO, it has had the struts replaced and still creaks like an old pirate ship! I have scoured the internet for similar problems but only found similar problems with the 2011 and 2012 Odysseys; nothing with regard to the 2014. Does anyone else have this problem??? I find it odd that the dealer would say this has been a problem and yet I cannot find anyone else complaining about this. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, that sucks. You're right, apparently you can fix this yourself by applying Shin Etsu Grease somewhere on the rubber parts, and its a DIY type of deal. Maybe someone who's done this can chime in. Hope you get it fixed!

#4 ·
+1 on that ;)

#5 ·
UPDATE on the creaking struts...thanks everyone for the replies! This is kind of like group therapy! Yes, I am in AZ and it is HOT...about 107 today, but you get used to it and I don't even notice after awhile. Anyway, I really love the van EXCEPT for the creaking! the service tech said that there was nothing they could do to fix it. He said that the "latest and greatest" struts were already on it and that the creaking "MAY" go away after the struts are broken in. I have never heard of struts needing to be broken in. They told me that the mechanic assured them that there is no safety issue and that they are sorry but basically live with it until it either goes away on its own or until Honda comes out with a fix.

You mentioned lemon law...I am an AZ attorney, however, I don't practice in consumer protection law. I will research our state statute, but I think there are mandatory arbitration clauses in the lease contract I signed. I will look into it. If it's like a three strikes your out law, then maybe I'll wait a week or so and see if it gets worse and maybe take it to a different dealer to look at. Any more thoughts? It just seems ABSURD to have a new van with now 500 on the ODO and creaking struts whenever I accelerate from a stop and creaking and popping as I go over bumps (especially when turning)...and they say "sorry, live with it." If there is any solace, I leased it and in 3 years I can walk away.

#6 ·
Since this problem was not cured by the strut replacement, I would also have the anti-roll bar bushings checked. Those could be dry and, since the bar "works"whenever the conditions you mention are met, they could well be the source of your noise.
Good luck, Jerry O.

#13 ·
+1 on this. I've had worn/bad sway bar bushings make some very strange sounds on cars over the years in exactly the kinds of situations you describe.

#7 ·
Thank you. I just emailed the dealer to see if they will swap it out for a new van. I just took my wife around the block and she said the noise scared her because it sounds like the van wants to break. If the dealer doesn't want to swap, AZ's lemon law requires the defect to "substantially impair the use and market value of the motor vehicle" and that the manufacturer must be allowed a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defect (which AZ law says is 4 attempts). The dealer has essentially told me "we can't fix it" and so the real issue will be whether the creaking, popping and crunching noise "substantially impairs the use and market value" of the van. The van can still be "used" but not as enjoyably as it should and not without concern. In fact the noise is very annoying and scary to my wife who thinks something is going to break off. As for the "market value", nobody in their right mind would buy a "new" van that makes this noise, particularly after being told that it can't be fixed. Now that, my friends, sounds like substantially impaired market value. I will wait to see what the dealer says. They had another van with 300+ miles on it; maybe they will just swap it out.

#8 ·
If you are stuck with the van, I'd start lubing everything back there and even consider putting some of the expensive sound deadening mats under the carpet and behind the panels. That's terrible that you have to deal with this, I really hope the one we end up with doesn't have this problem!

#9 ·
I think I understand your frustration with creaking on a brand new van.

Grasping at straws here, spray the struts top to bottom with WD40.

Dave

#12 ·
Here it is:

Honda is aware of the problem and the technical service bulletin below addresses the problem. Call your dealer and ask them to perform the TSB.

Service Bulletin 11-038

June 21, 2011

Applies To: 2011 Odyssey – ALL
Popping, Knocking, or Creaking in the Front While Turning at Low Speeds
SYMPTOM
There is a dull popping, knocking, or creaking sound
coming from the front of the vehicle at low speeds,
usually while turning.
A test-drive may not duplicate the noise. If you have a
vehicle that reportedly has this symptom, do the repair
procedure.
PROBABLE CAUSE
The bump stop contacts the top of the front damper
body, or the damper shaft self-locking nut is loose.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Apply Shin-Etsu grease around the top of both front
dampers. Retorque both front damper shaft self-locking
nuts.

#14 ·
Refer to TSB 11-038 - Popping, Knocking, or Creaking in the Front While Turning at Low Speeds in the 2011 and 2012 TSB threads.

#15 ·
Our 12 has had the struts greased, then replaced. Each repair worked for awhile, but then the noise came back, though doesn't seem to be as bad as yours. The replacement struts are the new and improved version, so for now we are just living with it. We only notice the noise under real low speed maneuvering or speed bumps. Otherwise it's an awesome van, good luck with yours. We are currently at 48K miles.

#16 ·
Saw all the "creaking" comments regarding Struts. Sure enough, our 2015 had both struts replaced at 4000 miles because of creaking over speed bumps. It worked until now, at 13000 miles creaking has RETURNED. I intend to take it to the dealer again, this time armed with most of your comments and some suggestions for fixing. I will advise in a few days of my experience.

#19 ·
I experienced creaking and squeaking in my new '16. The dealer concluded that the noise was coming from the shocks. They replaced both in the rear and the noise is gone. I have a feeling the front will need replacing eventually. The loaner I had also had creaking from the front when going over speed bumps. Unbelievable, esp for a brand new van.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.