Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Acura to build a minivan???

39K views 69 replies 26 participants last post by  allrody 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Maybe another candidate for the future luxury minivan market, joining the Mercedes-Benz V-class.

#3 ·
#7 ·
I wonder if this could be the next gen odyssey.

Honda could be doing like chrysler and take the same underpinning and put the upgraded interior on the higher brand label (caravan/town and country). Perhaps split off the touring/TE and slap an Acura badge on them. Would make it easier for some people to justify spending $42,000 on a minivan. I always thought the headlights on the 2011+ odyssey looked a lot like the TSX. I would love to see some sort of hybrid powertrain in a minivan in the US. 9 speed tranny? There is already too much searching on our 6 speed. I wonder why honda isnt going the cvt route that so many companys are.

#8 ·
:love:

A minivan for snobs like me! Thank you for listening Honda.

Honestly though, I am pretty excited about this. If the Odyssey would be like an MDX but with usable 3rd row and trunk, wow, I'm sold! Ya sure I'll have to sell a few limbs to buy it, but it's an automatic, not like I need my left foot.

I agree with the statement above about the Hybrid power train. I would really like to see a plugin hybrid model. I spend a good bit of time in carline picking up both kids from 2 different schools so not having to idle the car in the hot summers would be outstanding.

I agree with BigBoat and the width comments. Already plenty of those already. I personally have no issues with it, but I know it's an issue for some of us, but it might have folding rear view mirrors so there's some positive there.

Regarding the 9 speed, I'm not sure how much that helps a van. It helps in sedans because they push so much less air so they can take advantage of all the gear ratios. I think a van just pushes too much air so it just can't do it at lower RPM. I could be wrong, Jeep Grand Cherokee has 8 speed gearbox. About CVT, I personally don't like the disconnected feel between engine and wheels associated with a CVT. Also, I don't think reliability is very good with heavier vehicles and CVTs, but I could be wrong on that one.

Ya, depending how this goes, this could very likely be our Odyssey replacement. I would wait for the Mid life update on it because we bought the van with the intent of it lasting 8-10 years and I don't want to deviate from the plan.

#10 ·
Cool, this might be interesting. Might have to consider selling the Odyssey for one of these....lol

#22 ·
I like the smooth beltline better than the Ody's stepped design. Very sleek.

#28 ·
The more I read up on this, I'm starting to think the spy photos were of a test mule for the next gen ody which has been rumored to be on a different platform, perhaps based on the MDX. Last I checked, the folks on the Acura forum (from where I stole the pic) are keen on the test mule theory, i.e. next gen ody or even ridgeline, not so much on the Acura minivan theory. Makes for some good conversation though doesn't it.

#29 ·
Well next gen or not, seems like it does have the nose of an acura, the LED headlamps and the interior of the MDX. The exterior, obviously has sliding doors and the front door is nothing like the MDX.

Seems like they went through a lot of trouble to 'blend' Acura and Honda components just to end up discarding a lot of it.

#31 ·
If they do that I hope they don't have the ugly Acura front ends that have come out lately.

I think Acura was trying to make the entire line look like characters from the Transformer movies for a while.

#37 ·
Now that I think about, wait until people find out that all v6 Acuras now come with VCM like in the Ody, so the Acura ODX (Copyright name), if it ever becomes a reality, will likely have too...

- TLX v6: 3.5-liter, 290-horsepower V-6 engine with direct fuel injection, Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM®) and an i-VTEC

- RLX: 3.5-liter, 310-horsepower V-6 engine that features Direct Gas Injection, Variable Cylinder Management™™ and the Acura i-VTEC

- RDX: 3.5-liter i-VTEC® V-6 engine produces an impressive 273 horsepower and 251 lbs.-ft. of torque, with VCM

- MDX: 3.5-liter, 290-horsepower V-6 engine that features Direct Gas Injection, Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM®) and the Acura i-VTEC

#38 ·
What I imagined the spy photos would look like without the camouflage....
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Minivan Honda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.