Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Best Odyssey for 27K budget?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Syla 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just discovered this forum & learned so much valuable info! So we are on the market for an Odyssey & it will be our first time buying a car. We have 4 kiddos & want 8 seats so a couple friends or relatives can hop along. Also we'd like to keep that minivan for up to 20 years if that adds up, in my current state of mind it seems best to think I won't ever have to worry about getting another car until then^^ Anyhow I'm having trouble narrowing down my search at this point. Should I consider up to 30K mileage? More? Less? Does 6 speed vs 5 matters? Should I get a CPO? If not how do get a reliable mechanic to inspect the car before working on a deal (or not)? Which type of warranty should I purchase if vehicle isn't CPO? How much can I bargain? How many dealers should I deal with? Should I only deal with biggest one around or best rated? Which ratings to rely on? Should I search for cars on other sites than edmunds, KBB, truecar? From what I understand end of this month is the best time to buy so any tips would be most appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi, first time buyer of a Odyssey or Honda here (last week).

I agree this forum is a great resource. Maybe this will help with some of your questions. We just purchased a 2012 Touring because we wanted leather plus all of the "bells and whistles". It has 30k miles right off a 2 year lease and lots of good maintenance records. I did a lot of research and found that these cars really hold value. There weren't any incredible deals. We ended up getting the dealer down from $30k to $29k. Also, it wasn't certified but I bought from a large Honda dealer so it was gone over in their shop....new brakes, new tires, etc... Still has some of the general warranty left and powertrain warranty. Hope that helps. Good luck on your search.

#3 ·
Hey there, some of what I'm going to suggest may not apply since I'm a Canuck but I think the principles are true.

Yes, month end is a good time to shop - dealers want to hit their targets and also want to move metal. Will you get a better deal? Maybe, maybe not - depends on how aggressive you are in negotiating.

We bought a 2011 Touring (Elite in the US) because we wanted everything and I had to have the 6 speed auto. There isn't a big difference in fuel economy but I figured that 6 speeds is kind of industry norm now and I didn't want to be behind the times!

We also chose to avoid non-Honda dealers and get the CPO warranty etc that goes with it. We paid a touch more but in terms of the reconditioning (I looked at tires, fluids etc) there was no comparison. In addition, you get the better finance rates and a Honda warranty so the dealer and manufacturer have to stand behind the product. Much more peace of mind. I also got a full service history and Carproof (Carfax equivalent in Canada).

Ours had 59k kms on it so around 30k miles roughly. It's pretty darn close to perfect. Couple of small stone chips on the front, a few scuffs here and there but I'm very picky. Most people think it looks brand new.

What I suggest you do is narrow down the price and look at what trim levels you can get at that price point. Look at colours that you want as well. Then just start searching. Look at google reviews and other independent reviews for dealer performance - I think its important when you buy a car that the dealer is a good one. Even more so if you will be servicing there too. Based on your price point I would think an EX-L or Touring should be possible.

From a bargaining standpoint its hard to say - if you show them you are serious, they will move but how much again depends on your willingness to walk away. Keep in mind that good Odysseys are tough to come by in the current generation (in good shape). At least they are tough here - we had a 6 month search to get a good Touring in low mileage at a reasonable price.

Good luck in your search! They are really tremendous family vehicles but are really great to drive too.

#6 ·
"We bought a 2011 Touring (Elite in the US) because we wanted everything and I had to have the 6 speed auto. There isn't a big difference in fuel economy but I figured that 6 speeds is kind of industry norm now and I didn't want to be behind the times!"

Thank you for your helpful input! I also think I really want 6 speeds & haven't considered older vehicles with upper-end trims until I read your message. I also have been searching for a long time!

#7 ·
I have noticed that prices vary a lot based on region. These vans do retain value so dealers are able to sell at almost the asking price. That said the top Touring/Touring Elite lose the biggest % in the initial years as not everyone wants all the features.

You may be able purchase a new EX for almost the same price as 2-3 year old Elite. I am not sure but I believe that from 2014 onwards the 6 speed is standard on all trims. Another factor is that there are less things to break on a LX/EX if you plan to keep it for a long time.

I purchased last month and went with a 2011 TE which was certified with 23k miles for 28.5k, it was advertised at 33k :) Had to search for almost 2 months as I did not want a van with beat up interior.

Check autotrader and cars.com, they seem to have the most up to date inventory of used vans. I also used another site called cargurus.com they not only have the current price but also the price change and time since the dealer had the car on its lot. Helps negotiate if a van has been sitting on the lot for a few weeks.

Hondacare is the only warranty I would recommend if you are interested in purchasing one. You can purchase on used Honda as long as they have less than 36k miles and are not more than 3 years old. So for example on my 2011 I can purchase till December 31, 2014.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.