Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2005 to 2015 Ody Review after 7,500 Miles

8K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Daniel Acosta 
#1 ·
We replaced our 2005 Ody EX-L Res with a 2015 Ody Touring Elite and have about 7,500 miles on the new one with one good long road trip under our belt so thought I'd share some thoughts for those that might be looking. I have NOT read the owners manual front to back so feel free to flame me for items where I just don't know how to properly work them.

-Handling is very nice, still the best among minivans IMHO.
-Highway ride is very good even with the 19" wheels which I was a bit worried about (they are nitrogen filled which I think is kind of humorous...gotta love marketing).
-Road noise is pretty good.
-Steering is quite light...too light...could be a little firmer...but still tracks well on highway.
-Power is less than our 2005 and the throttle response seems to be detuned vs the 2005. I assume for better mpg.
-Feels a bit wider than the 2005 when driving and rear sight lines a bit narrower.

-Navigation is fine once the destination is in the system. Voice input is tedious to the point of being useless. I wish I could just talk to it like I can my phone navigation.
-Search function defaults are poor. By default will often return restaurants multiple states away instead of the closest to your location or even your destination. You can sort, but the closest should be the default IMHO.
-Phone integration is pretty good...Pandora, satellite radio, phone calling, etc. A learning curve, but to be expected on a system with many functions.
-Every time you move from "Nav" to "Front Audio" it will lower the volume of the music you are playing and tell you the station it is on. Well usually when I do this its b/c I am on Nav and want to know the song name or artist b/c I like it. I don't want it to cut out for 5 seconds! Annoying...I can see the station very easily once the screen changes. Maybe if it told me the name and artist by audio, but it doesn't....just the radio station...which I already knew.

-Low fuel indicator - little yellow light and large indicator in between tach and speedometer is illuminated. That is fine and can't be missed, but it then won't let me override to see the odometer. I like to note my mileage when the low fuel light comes on so I know not to exceed say...20 miles before refueling. It appears I can no longer monitor distance once the light comes on, even by pushing the little stem.
-Auto dimming rear view mirror - I really hope there is some kind of sensitivity adjustment for this...the default does not dim enough. I have to tilt the mirror up at night if traffic is behind me...too bright.

-Rear entertainment screen - works well, kids like it. We can easily listen to music up front while they watch a movie in the back with head phones. Two IR headphones and 3rd kid in the far back with plug in head phones next to her seat.

-Reverse tail lights - seem dim. Rear camera is good but its a bit dark at night and even when using the rear view mirror it seems darker back there than with the 2005. Also guidelines do not bend to show projected path.

-Front seats have adjustable arm rests, but they eliminated them for the 2nd row captain seats. Kids don't seem to miss them and it actually makes it easier to move around.
-3rd Row seat still one of the top we have seen among minivans and 3 row SUVs. Head rests are dramatically different. Improved head safety at the cost of more restricted rear window view.

-Push button start, vacuum and power lift gate - I thought these were gimmicks but actually really like all three.

-Lane Departure Warning - Great safety feature to have for long road trips, but a little over sensitive around town. I tend to turn it off in town.
-Blind Spot Monitoring - Love it...and I think Honda has implemented it as well as anyone. No annoying light on all the time in my sightline like some mfgs. It just comes on when something is in "blind spot", nice amber color, and then beeps if I hit the turn signal while someone is there.

-No Lazy Susan storage in the floorboard behind the front seats. Miss it a bit.

I will add as I think of things, but after much shopping around we are very happy we came back to the Ody. Hope to reach 197k on this Ody like we did on the 2005.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a very timely post as I was going to start a new thread since I just got my 2015 TE after a 2005 and 2008 Touring. I plan to just add on here. Today is day one with the van so I don't have much experience but here some initial thoughts.

The loss of the lazy susan & storage is a big loss for me. Other than the front seat console and glove box there are no storage bins in the 2nd or 3rd rows. I don't count the doors as storage bins.
I also find the quality of some fit/finish items sub par especially the carpeting edges between the front seats and the doors. A bit of a gap and rough edges.

The OEM All Season Mats seem fine enough but are a step back in material and heft from the prior generation. Also the folding cargo mat is a bit shocking in how flimsy & cheap it feels. In my 05/08 the cargo mat was heavy and durable.

I am looking forward to getting some miles in soon but I think the best observation came from my wife in her first drive today: "This feels just like the old van."
After not having an Odyssey for 2 years and now getting one it is like slipping back into your favorite pair of jeans. Just terrific!

Thanks, John

#3 ·
Thanks for adding on JP. I think this can be a useful thread for those looking to move from previous to new. A place to point out things one might not immediately notice on a brief test drive.

I looked over my list and quite a few seemed negative. I want to emphasize we are very happy with our choice...especially the ride, handling, seats, solid feel and of course space. Believe me we drove a bunch of vehicles before coming back around to the Ody and are happy we did....but that doesn't mean there aren't a few negatives to be expected. I hope I can solve a few by digging into the manual.

#4 ·
Agree. I do believe that the 3rd Gen Odyssey is the highwater mark for the model. I am in love this my 2015 after 1 day but do miss some of the thoughtful touches in the 05-10 model.

My perspective has been colored by our 2014 Kia Soul. It has a lot of features I wish I had on the Odyssey including power folding mirrors, ventilated seats, and heated steering wheel. Plus is the display system - Nav, Radio, Others - is the best I have seen in any vehicle. Big color touchscreen, very intuitive to use. Really spectacular. All for about half the price of an Odyssey. But it is different tool for a different job.

I wanted to also love the Sedona but a comprehensive examination of both (Sedona & Odyssey) concluded with the practicality and comfort of the Odyssey is superior to that IP/Display of the Sedona. I wanted a van for the practicality and the Odyssey comes out on top!

One plus on the new one is the one touch handle on the hatch - even when the vehicle is locked!

#5 ·
Just thought of something else: The manuals are not included (other threads on the topic) and the case they do give it is pretty cheap. Also the CD does not give the same information as in the prior gen. Example - the prior gen manual would tell you the distances for the parking sensor both front and rear at each stage. So you knew that when the front was solid beeping you were within 12 inches and when the rear was solid beeping you were within 6 inches. Just more detail about the actual features would be nice, Given all of the personalized setting in the TE, it is hard to know what works what. Does voice prompt or verbal prompt turn off the voice announcing the radio stations? Having it explained in the manual would be nice.

Roadside assistance: My vehicle did not come with a window sticker with the phone number. Not a big deal but still a nice to have from the prior gen.

#6 ·
19" wheels or 18" wheels? The TE comes with 18" wheels unless you changed them.

I had a 2003 EX-L for nearly 12 years and recently upgraded to a 2015 TE. What a dramatic difference.

One thing I missed, I used to be able to store long items ( 2X4's, hockey sticks, etc) under the 3rd and second row seats if I slid them from the back, But with the new 3rd row folding hardware in the way, I can't do that now.

But overall, I'm happy that I got another Ody as opposed to an SUV (Tahoe,Yukon, Expedition,etc)

#8 ·
Newest Learning: The Auto Dimming Mirror no longer has an on/off switch. It is active all the time. I never did understand the purpose of the on/off switch as I always simply left it on. However, in the 2015 - it just has two opening - I guess one is a sensor, not sure about the other one. On my other vehicles the other button is green as in On. From what I can tell, the 2015 does not have any visual indication is it on but it does seem to work.

From the Manual: When driving after dark, the automatic dimming rearview mirror reduces the glare from headlights behind you, based in inputs from the mirror sensor. This feature is always active.

Thanks, John

#13 ·
The 2011-2013 has the button and the light to indicate on/off. The mirror was changed and made ON by default for the 2014 facelift.

Is this correct: There is only 1 USB port in the entire van? No USB port in the 2nd or 3rd rows?

Not exactly the paragon of connectivity with only one USB port. I will be happy to be corrected but I am not seeing another one.

Thanks, John
Yes, only one. 2011-2013 has it in the glove compartment. It got relocated to the center dash area in the 2014 facelift. The change took one of the 2 power outlets spots (2011-2013 has 2)

#9 ·
Ok first question: If the vehicle is in drive and the doors are locked - can I open the door from the inside without having to manually unlock it?

Tonight I drove up to restaurant for carry out, my wife pulled the door handle to exit and her door was still locked as were all the doors. Before you could still unlock/open the door simply by pulling on the inside door handle. Is that a setting I can adjust?

#11 ·
I believe this is a safety feature. I don't think this can be adjusted. Although, I'd look to see if the child safety latch is on; that's the only thing you'd be able to change. I know in our 06 Sienna, you can't open the doors while the door is locked.

Is this correct: There is only 1 USB port in the entire van? No USB port in the 2nd or 3rd rows?

Not exactly the paragon of connectivity with only one USB port. I will be happy to be corrected but I am not seeing another one.

Thanks, John
There isnt one in the glove box? On our 2012 that's where the USB port was for hooking up an iDevice. From what I saw on Hondas website it looks like they put on by the DVD player up front. Is there not another in the glove box? Wonder if you could hook up a USB hub for additional hookups?

#10 ·

Thanks, John

#12 ·
Thanks for both answers.

I am used to my other vehicles being able to open with a pull of the inside handle, even when locked. Pretty sure my 05/08 Odysseys worked this way too.

I did not see one in the glove box. I dislike only having one USB and having it out in the open. I would love to have it hidden in the glove box or center console.

#17 ·
I am used to my other vehicles being able to open with a pull of the inside handle, even when locked. Pretty sure my 05/08 Odysseys worked this way too.
Not exactly what you asked for but if you would like all the doors to unlock automatically when you come to a stop and put the car in Park do the following.

With your foot off the brake, push the Start button twice to get past Accessory mode and into On mode. Push the driver's side door "unlock" button and hold for about 5 secs till you hear a click/thunk then keep holding about 5 more seconds till you hear it again. Let go.

The next time you come to a stop and put the car in Park all the doors will automatically unlock.

Credit to this guy:

Note - While I only did a brief test, when I manually locked the doors, put in Drive and then back to Park they did not unlock. When I left unlocked, drove a minute to let the doors autolock, then came to a stop and put in park they all did unlock.

Note II - I do not know what mode you get if you stop pressing the button after the first thunk (vs after the 2nd), but am curious.

#16 ·
it would be nice, especially if it's powered, you could use it to charge an iPad or phone. Or, in the TE, use it to play music through the headphones. I find it odd that our 06 has several features the 2015 TE doesn't - most notably dimming and folding side mirrors w/ puddle lamps, and radar cruise control. I do like the additional safety features in the TE, even the EXL has some great standard safety features.

#19 ·
Thank you. I do have this set in this way. My situation last night was pulling up to a stop with my foot on the brake, staying in drive and letting my wife out. Since the van was in Drive all of the doors stayed locked despite her pulling on the handle to open it. I am sure the prior gen Odyssey and our 2 Lexus let you simply pull the inside handle and open the door - even when locked.

#20 ·
You can clear the fuel alert, or any other alert, by pressing the "i" button on the steering wheel a couple of times. I also hate that the Nav is locked out in this generation. What's the point if you can't access it while moving? And I do miss the USB in the glovebox and the extra tray in the console. Come on Honda, you used to be so good at creating cubbies and storage.

#21 ·
I have to admit how much I am loving this stereo in this van. The 12 speakers and 650 watts sure sounds great to my ears! It is ROCKING!

#22 ·
Highway ride is very good even with the 19" wheels which I was a bit worried about (they are nitrogen filled which I think is kind of humorous...gotta love marketing).
-Road noise is pretty good.
Marketing??? I think not. Did you know that Walmart uses nitrogen in the tires of their over the highway delivery rigs. And they don't spend a penny unless it is to their benefit.
What You Should Know About Nitrogen-Filled Tires - Article - Work Truck

And the DOT on the topic:
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrB...1094.pdf/RK=0/RS=1u1NJxnWBiYsExDKJBt7LqqftCs-

#23 ·
Paying $5 per tire for nitrogen (I don't live near a Costco) is going to put a dent in any fuel mpg savings. When I start driving 25,000 miles a week or racing NASCAR I will revisit my opinion on 100% nitrogen in my tires. Topping off my tires with air is incredibly easy and essentially free.

I've read a number of articles/opinions on 100% nitrogen vs the 78% that is in normal air...mega mile vehicles like tractor trailers maybe...typical family vehicle...more hassle than value IMHO....YMMV.

BTW, a mpg report. Took a leisurely 7 hour round trip last weekend through back roads between 35 and 55 mph...averaged over 28 mpg! This was based on the computer, so probably a little inflated, but it is possible to hit or get very close to the EPA 28 mpg hwy number...if you drive slow enough.

#24 ·
The navigation system continues to underwhelm however. The database has gaps of restaurants that have been around a good while. The restaurant sorting is still frustrating, even when I sort by distance. I've pretty much given up. Its just too easy to search and decide on a place to eat using my smartphone, get the address and then enter it into the Honda nav system. Once the address is in the Honda nav system I like it fine. I just have to get over trying to use it to find POI.

Also, a major interstate highway exit 7 miles from my home that was completed 2 years ago is not in the database. Therefore every time I go to get on the highway with the nav system on the navigation system is fighting to go to the old farther away exit the last 3 miles before I get on the highway.

A nav system question. I see the TRF icon indicating traffic is enabled but I have never seen anything on the screen indicating traffic. Should I be seeing something or does it just use traffic info behind the scenes to select the quickest route?

#25 ·
I also went from 2005 exl nav + res but only to 2015 exl nav. The price bump to nav + res was too much for us.

Now that I have experienced the changes, for the worse, in the 2015 nav, I feel like I could have saved a bit more by foregoing the nav altogether. The technology in the new Odyssey is fantastic but the decision to limit or drop features that were critical to its function basically cripples the system.

Firstly is the decision to lock out the navigation system while the vehicle is in motion. I understand that it is a safety concern. However, until they lock out the ability of a cell phone to text message while the vehicle is in motion, they should have left the nav unlocked. It's a minivan built to haul more than one person around. If I am in the van then ninety percent of the time my wife is also. Unfortunately, the lockout prevents her from using the nav also. Voice navigation? You mean I can tell the navigation to "find the nearest Denny's"? I can do it on nearly any phone but yet can't do it on a purpose built navigation device. I know I couldn't do that in my 05 but at the least I was able to enter it on the fly. Pull over to use the nav? If I am on the highway and need to get off so I can use nav to find restaurant x, then I would just wait until I see the newest restaurant to pull into.

Secondly, so say I did get off my soap box and pulled over to use the nav. I go to search by keyword and what do I find but a bunch of letters arranged radially. What happened to the keyboard? The nav already made me pull over to be able to use it now it wants me to rotate through the alphabet in order to enter names and numbers. So now I'm pulled over on the side of some road taking twice as long to enter a restaurant name only to find when I get there that the restaurant doesn't even exist because the POI is old.

Yes I'm extremely disappointed with the navigation system. Almost to the point that it eclipses all the good traits that we have come to know an drove about the Odyssey. The handling is still crisp and comfort in 1st and 2nd rows are still fantastic. The power is still plenty for a van (transmission is a bit sluggish though). We are even still in awe with the keyless entry, push button start, passenger blind spot camera, and cool box. We love it until we want to find something to eat, then it becomes a nightmare.

#26 ·
I feel your pain. Very disappointed Honda locked it out. Seems to be the way most makers are going. It is locked out on my Lexus but wide open on my Kia...

#27 ·
I've got a '12 so I do not have the "lockout". My Corvette has the passenger override and it's a god sent when traveling with my wife and making changes. Does the newer Odysseys still have the phone number option for finding a location? That's my favorite for finding my customers locations.

#28 ·
i have a list of pros and cons too i'm working on, and will post soon.

however ill go on record, that only one USB port for the whole vehicle is attrocious. down right ridiculous.

it hit me when my son passed up his ipad from the 3rd row, and asked me to plug it in to charge it.

i also want to add that there should be a power port in the rear, when the tail gate is up for air compressors, coolers or anything else your doing back there. ive had vehicles 15 yrs old that had one. found them quite convenient. honda honda honda....resting on some laurels here..

#31 · (Edited)
i also want to add that there should be a power port in the rear, when the tail gate is up for air compressors, coolers or anything else your doing back there. ive had vehicles 15 yrs old that had one. found them quite convenient. honda honda honda....resting on some laurels here..
There is. At least in my '14 Touring there is. It's tucked up in the cubby on the driver's side. I'm talking about a 12v here, not 110v, so maybe I'm misunderstanding your criticism.

Text Line Font Line art Diagram

#34 ·
You can put coins in the center tray if you have a lower end model, I think the tray is eliminated in the higher end models. There is also a small storage compartment to the left of the driver on all models where you can put coins, cards, whatever.
Not sure, but I think there is a de-ice grid under the front wipers. I am guessing this would be more common in Canada.
Homelink buttons are lit up at night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.