Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2012 Won't start. No noise, nothing. Battery is fine. Honda Care coverage?

24K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  parmm 
#1 ·
2012 EXL 53k miles. Wouldn't start. No noise when trying to turn over. Complete silence. No previous issues. I thought it was the battery because I briefly charged my phone with only the accessory on (15min).

Called Tow Truck. Jump start didn't work. He tried resetting the built-in alarm, putting it in neutral, checked fuses, tapped on starter .... nothing worked.

What is wrong?

I have Honda Care. I cannot find the policy, so I don't know "specifically" what is covered. I don't want to pay dealership prices if it's not going to be covered.

Any help very appreciated! Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Highly likely it is covered by HondaCare, but no way to know until you know for sure what's wrong. One of the caveats of a factory warranty. You pretty much have to take it to them to find out.

#3 ·
thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

So Honda Care couldn't find me a tow company that was covered. They found one that agreed to charge me and then I could submit the bill for reimbursement.That's another story that I'm not exactly pleased about.

So when the tow company try to jump my car last night, when they had the booster hooked up to my battery they said my battery was actually charging their booster. Does that make sense? I'm really hoping it's not the battery. the lights, the radio, the power doors and windows we're still fully functional even though the car wasn't turning over.
the dealership "service advisor" thought it was the starter before even looking at it. they gave me one of their in-house rentals so I didn't have to go through enterprise. I don't have a copy of my Honda care policy, so I don't know what Rights I've got and what I'm potentially up against.

from your response it sounds like the dealership could blame it on the battery and then I'm stuck with $180 tow bill

#4 ·
Unless the tow guy is a complete imbecile it won't be the battery and the dealer can't "blame" it on the battery unless it truly is. With HondaCare the dealer really doesn't care whether they get their payment from you or HondaCare because either way they get paid. I would contact HondaCare and ask them to email you a copy of the policy. There is always lots of fine print, but at least you will have a copy to refer to and occasionally a service department will make an error and charge the customer for something the should bill HondaCare for.

#7 ·
Before it broke down, I drove the van all day with zero issues. I parked it for an hour and while parked, I charged my phone in accessory mode for 15min. I tried to start the van about 45min later and nothing. All lights and accessories were working. Keys were never dropped or chucked at anyone (lol).

Tow guy tried resetting immobilizer after he tried jumping the battery unsuccessfully. Then he hit the starter a bunch of times, then checked fuses. Nothing!

I didn't think to try the other key. But, my spare key is just a valet key. It doesn't have the chip.

#9 ·
Try the valet key. Does it have a gray plastic head? Or its just 1 metal piece up to the head? Usually the valet key will start the engine but will not open the glove compartment or the rear hatch. In regards about the your battery charging the booster is possible as , if the battery in the vehicle has higher charge than the booster that will actually happen. Have you tried to start it in neutral. It could be well the starter , as these new Ody uses Planetary type starters they will give different symptom compared to the non planetary type of starters. Did the tow truck driver hit the solenoid or the starter assembly? Let us know.

#10 ·
The van is at the dealership so unfortunately I am unable to try the valet key.

The tow truck guy did hit the starter a bunch of times. He couldn't find the solenoid.

#11 ·
Yes, he tried to start it in neutral as well

#12 ·
He did try putting the key in the driver's door to lock and unlock the car to reset the car's immobilizer

#13 · (Edited)
What an ordeal!
Hondacare couldn't find a towing company that would accept their PO, so I had to pay $180 Out-of-Pocket.

The dealership discovered that the original dealership I purchased the van from didn't completely remove the iLock system. I refused it at purchase and they "supposedly" removed it, but it turns out they left the harness in and that's what shorted out causing the van to be immobilized.

HondaCare views the iLock system as an aftermarket product and refused to cover it.

I had the repairing dealership document everything and save the defective part for me, which I will submit to the original dealership where I purchased the van. Before giving consent to repair, I called the sales manager and got a verbal confirmation they would reimburse me for the repair ($272). I forgot to add in the towing cost, but plan to hand that receipt in with the rest of the documents for reimbursement (Total $452).

HondaCare Roadside assistance was a joke to deal with. They called 24 towing companies before one would agree to tow the van with PAYMENT UP FRONT. Errr. Not happy about that!

And, supposedly the iLock system is something that is typically installed at the factory, but Honda considers it an aftermarket product ... What's that about?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.