Honda Odyssey Forum banner

How soon to buy a 2016 Touring Elite? Got price quote in email

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Universe93B 
#1 ·
Thanks for any help guys -we are dying for more room/storage/cargo space! We are looking for a Blue 2016 TE. (no 2015s left in this color).

The internet quote department just sent me an email for a 2016 Blue TE for $41,906, with the MRSP listed at $45,630.

1. What do you guys think about this deal? It seems decent to me - are they discounting things quickly since this is the last "year" in this generation? The internet quote guy said waiting til December might be me "around $500 additional discount."
2. I'm assuming that $45,630 includes the MRSP and the $880 delivery and handling fee, correct?
3. I would probably want the wheels locks, splash guards, and possibly roof rails, so this would mean extra, do people pay these at retail prices?
4. I think financing is at 1.9% already for the 2016 til the end of this month, so they are already offering financing deals for the Odyssey.
5. I already have a salesperson that I worked with previously. How soon should I contact him to "find" me a Blue Odyssey or can they reserve one whenever one comes on the lot? They don't have a Blue TE in stock, and I'm not sure if there's a "fee" I have to pay if they get the vehicle from another dealership. I'm assuming there is.

See less See more
#2 ·
MSRP includes the destination charge, but from there assume nothing. Don't assume you have to pay retail for accessories. I know my way around well enough I only ever talk to one guy, but if you have a preferred guy then talk to him last and let him meet or beat the best price you get elsewhere. As for timing, let him know you are shopping and what you want. He may have one coming in the color you want. Most dealers don't charge extra for getting a car from another dealer that is close by, but if they have to go 3-4 hours the cost becomes too great to absorb. Also, their willingness to absorb dealer trade costs generally reflects how aggressive they were in their pricing of a stock unit. If they still had a little room to give then they are more willing to go get a car for no additional cost, but if they were already scraping rock bottom there simply isn't room to let it slide. They don't pay the drivers that much so if they are trying to get more than a couple hundred bucks for it they are trying make back previous discounts given.

#3 ·
I've researched quite a bit trying to find out the best time to buy a new vehicle and what I have found it that December 31st is the best time to buy. Honda puts out extra year end I incentives to their dealerships on each vehicle moved prior to the new year. Dealers are more motivated as they will loose the extra money from Honda come Jan 1st. Good luck my friend.

#4 ·
In your scenario what was true one year may not be true the next. Here is how the whole thing really works;

The car manufacturer forecasts how many of a particular model, and even the trim levels within the model will be built for the model year based on some pretty in depth study of the economy and overall demand for autos. Forecasts will sometimes get cut if demand is off, but it is far more difficult to increase production as the supply chain needs time to react. As the model year progresses they will issue factory incentives based on where they stand vs forecast. This is typically done on a monthly basis and incentives adjusted accordingly. Even the manufacturer reps and exec's can't tell you very much ahead when the incentives will peak for the year. Even the year end model close out, which often is the peak, can get skewed by low inventory levels. It's just like the stock market. Past performance is not an indication of future results.

#6 ·
What is available elsewhere isn't relative. Rebates and factory incentives are calculated by zip code, so unless you are prepared to provide a local zip code when buying at another dealer and having it titled at that address, paying that sales tax, etc., you can't get the same incentives. A manufacturer's marketing plan and therefore incentives can vary quite a bit as you may have discovered. Right now truecar.com is probably as good a resource as any to price check. The prices paid thread here is only good if you know the geographic location of the buyer posting and only for the month it was posted as the incentive may have changed the following month.

#7 ·
KBB claims the 2016 Odyssey TE invoice is 41,771 and fair purchase price is about $1,000 more but this is in my zip code and yours will probably be different.

I have known friends who are salespersons and they claim that Memorial day weekend is typically one of the best times to purchase as they're already preparing to rid themselves of the 2016 in preparation for the 2017. of course this assumes they have buckets of TE's around. It also looks like the 2017 will be a new generation so that can work in your favor to purchase a 2016 discounted if you wait long enough. Many buyers will desire the new 2017 design and the 2016's will sit until discounted. It's simply a matter of inventory/demand, factory incentives and finding the vehicle that you want is still around next year to achieve the discount you desire.

Example. I had the recent opportunity to purchase a 2015 at over $3,500 below Invoice for new vehicle. This price was without factory rebates if I qualified. Unfortunately I could not find the right color combination for 2015 within my region. For that major discount on a 2015, I considered repainting a new vehicle but could not find the interior color desired. In the end I chose to pay more for a 2016 with the exterior/interior colors desired.

Time can work in your favor if you have the ability to wait.

#8 ·
I have had very good pricing through Costco. You might even find the 2015 color combo that you want. Also......edmunds is really awesome. I would get the contacts through Costco and see what they come up with. I couldn't find what the color we wanted but costcos website found it 45 min away.

#9 ·
The only 2 Blue Elites in NC were taken, they have deposits on them already. All the dealerships are saying they are not making many Elites, and will be making more SEs this year. The Blue color is the most least made Odyssey it looks like.

The dealership is saying to come in and put a deposit down on a Blue Elite, and they can order one from the factory, 30-90 days. Or if they find one before that, we can get that one.

#12 ·
Think about how long you will keep the '16 box it's about to be extremely outdated and the higher trim models wil take the biggest hit. If you don't care, then go for it as the current model is competent - just getting a little long in the tooth. As for price, a great price is 38-39k +ttl good is below $40k+ttl. My figure include all fees.

#13 ·
I don't mind the resale value of the 2016, because I plan to keep this thing for 10 years or more, with easily over 200k miles on it -so it's not going to be worth anything.Having a very outdated model is not enough to deal with all the 1st generation year problems that Honda seems to have these days. I need a reliable vehicle where most issues have been addressed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.