Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Feels great! Just disabled the VCM!

118K views 388 replies 118 participants last post by  WiiMaster 
#1 ·
At first, I wasn't planning on disabling the VCM since I barely noticed it. But after reading numerous threads recently and in the past about broken motor mounts and possibly other engine issues, I decided to order the VCMuzzler from verbatim on this board. I expect my cars to go to 200k miles with minimal maintenance issues. Honda/Acura motor mounts are already weak, so I didn't want additional pressure on the mounts. No other vehicles require motor mounts before 100k miles.

AFTER installation, the engine feels so much better! No lugging, very responsive, and hardly any drop in MPG. Installation was very quick and easy with verbatim's provided instructions. I had ordered the Ultraguage a few days ago, so I monitored things on our day trip yesterday. Before the VCMuzzler, the engine coolant temperate was around 175. Afterwards, it read as 160, which is what it's supposed to do, make it ready 15 degrees lower. I believe VCM engages when the engine coolant temperature is above 167.

Definitely glad I got this done! I'm not a performance hog, but will do anything to help my vehicles last longer!

#3 ·
Great to hear. I PM'd verbatim as well for this muzzler just this morning after all the positive feedback. My Ody only has 17k on the odo and the only thing I noticed so far is the extra engine braking when letting off the gas but I don't want broken mounts or fouled plugs so this will be well worth it.

#5 ·
Yep just did my 2007 after buying it used with 155000 miles. Verbatim is awesome! Hoping to get many more miles out of my motor mounts. My VCM was more pronounced than many on here claim theirs are. Now I love all of my Odyssey!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Send a PM to member verbatim.

Dave

#10 ·
Is it the VCM that is kicking in and out that makes the car feel like it has a miss when on cruise control at about 76?

#12 ·
Will have to check on that, parmm. Have a hi speed run this weekend to bring stuff to the college boy in Columbia.

#17 · (Edited)
He is in the great white north, and Canada Post takes a while, so I am still waiting. Suppose to be here the 27th. Vertabim has a excellent following both here, and on the Honda Pilot forums. You don't have to worry about sending your money to him! He is one of us!

And just in case, you can just go back to post #9 in this thread, and click on his name to PM him again, just in case it got lost somewhere in cyberspace, or maybe he is on a trip or something.

#22 ·
I finally took a well deserved road trip and was stuck in traffic and it was annoying!! I really thought the trans/motor was failing on me. (Previous gen2 ody owner) and starting reading up on this and now it makes sense. Every time I passed a sienna I really wanted to ditch this van. Hopefully this does the trick.

#28 ·
UPDATE: I ordered on a Saturday, Verbatim sent it out on Tuesday, Expedited to US and rcvd on Saturday. Big Props to him for the fast shipping.

Installation was QUICK, instructions state to remove engine cover but you really don't have to. click, click and ON within seconds. Engine completely COLD. Warmed up and went for a drive. NO ECO light!! W/O this it feels like it wants to come on and make things worse. I don't have enough miles to log down to compare but short driving distances or around town it makes the van more enjoyable to drive. Some may not notice but i CAN. I recommend the this item and commend Verbatim for the FAST shipping. I'll keep in eye on this and update MPG if any and report back.

#29 ·
Great! It took about 10 days to get mine as I didn't pay extra but the product and instructions are top notch. I will install mine this weekend. Good to know the engine cover can be left on.

UPDATE: I ordered on a Saturday, Verbatim sent it out on Tuesday, Expedited to US and rcvd on Saturday. Big Props to him for the fast shipping.

Installation was QUICK, instructions state to remove engine cover but you really don't have to. click, click and ON within seconds. Engine completely COLD. Warmed up and went for a drive. NO ECO light!! W/O this it feels like it wants to come on and make things worse. I don't have enough miles to log down to compare but short driving distances or around town it makes the van more enjoyable to drive. Some may not notice but i CAN. I recommend the this item and commend Verbatim for the FAST shipping. I'll keep in eye on this and update MPG if any and report back.

#30 ·
Order mine on the 26th, got a response/invoice right away which I paid the same day. It shipped out the 27th and Canadian Post said it should be here today (about 10 days).
However, it looks like the USPS sat on it for about 5 days (1/30 til 2/4), so I doubt I'll get it today since it just left Chicago this morning. Extreme props to Verbatim for his fast service, bummed at the USPS though.

#31 ·
I can't see why anyone would want to disable this feature. Is it really that bad, the VCM? I work on cars part time change and check my oil regularly and have never experienced any problems. I constantly get 27mpg on the hwy on my monthly trips to Philadelphia. I had a few hemi cars with cylinder deactivation and the surging noise lugging was just part of the deal. Never bothered me much. With 60k plus on my 12 i guess ill wait another 100k to see if the problem arises for me...

sent from my butt pocket

#33 ·
I can't see why anyone would want to disable this feature. Is it really that bad, the VCM? I work on cars part time change and check my oil regularly and have never experienced any problems. I constantly get 27mpg on the hwy on my monthly trips to Philadelphia. I had a few hemi cars with cylinder deactivation and the surging noise lugging was just part of the deal. Never bothered me much. With 60k plus on my 12 i guess ill wait another 100k to see if the problem arises for me...
I expect all of my cars to go to 200k miles. Seems like the VCM has caused problems and costly repairs after the warranty has ended. Normally I don't care about isolated incidents, but seems like more than a few have had problems. I'm not waiting around to 100 - 150k miles to see if the VCM gives problems or not.

#32 ·
There are several reported problems with the Variable Cylinder Management setup on the Ody engine. Along with a class action lawsuit over some of those problems that Honda lost. They were required to fix the problems and extend the warranty.

#35 ·
I expect all my vehicles to meet or exceed 200k and I treat them as such. If oil changes are done timely and i dont mean every 7 or 8k miles that shops recommend sludge should not be a problem. My 14 hemi durango had a oil change interval of 10k which is ridiculous to even recommend. Common sense of how engines work should tell you that is a no-no. 3-5k oil changes and basic maintenance should all prevent this from happening aside from failing sensors. Good luck

sent from my butt pocket

#36 ·
Common sense of how engines work should tell you that is a no-no. 3-5k oil changes and basic maintenance should all prevent this from happening aside from failing sensors. Good luck
Most PAO synthetic oils and Esters synthetic oils are only beginning to work at 3000 miles. And they easily have another 9000 left in them! You need to find out what is happening in the oil industry today!!! Lubrication engineers are designing the current Group 3 hydrocracked oils and the true synthetics to run much longer that the old Group 2 and 3 dino motor oils.

#38 ·
I drifted that topic again....d@mnit.

Anyways, Hondas aren't the only ones with VCM problems these days. Even GM is dealing with the oil consumption difficulties that come with an engine that shuts down cylinders at cruise on some of its larger engines, so I've personally seen.

Making the engine act like a "normal" motor where all of the cylinders perform a firing pulse on each revolution sure seems to be such an easy way to restore lost functionality.

OF

#39 ·
This all sounds very good but I seriously doubt the local lube spot that people are going to aren't using these oils. Especially when they buy in bulk at barrels at a time. They are using the same ol stuff that might as well be in quart cans with their Api rating on the endplates. Bottom line i seriously doubt all users of cars are going to dealerships to get the makers brand, they are using the quick lube spot which uses whatever oil. Whats going on in the oil industry does not trickle down to my world. Not sure if your world is different therefore I stand by my post.

sent from my butt pocket

#40 ·
Who the heck is going to the local lube spot??? Most of us who run good oils is probably buying them themselves. You can buy Mobil 1 0w20 right off the shelf at Walmart. If that does not trickle down to your world, you are in big trouble. I thought I lived in the boonies!

#41 ·
Nice try, I see a lot with what i do go to the local lube spot. Most aren't men that frequent this forum but mostly women mothers who have no time. You must live in the boonies!

sent from my butt pocket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.