Battery - best to buy and best place to buy
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery - best to buy and best place to buy

Battery - best to buy and best place to buy

Tried searching on this topic, but no luck..

I am looking to replace the battery on my '06.

I live in the Toronto area, but go to Detroit occasionally.

I am not in a hurry

1. where is the best place to pick up a battery, pricewise

2. what should I get ?

Thanks.

UPDATE: i bought a 108-35N from Walmart at $87Canadian.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by fishypops; 10-12-2010 at 09:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Costco or Walmart. Both the Kirkland and Energizer Max are made by Johnson Controls. The one at Walmart has a better warranty.

And...you can find a Walmart almost anywhere and probably 24 hours a day, unlike most other stores.

^ What they said. ^
    2001 Odyssey EX 175K miles, 70K on the 3rd tranny, now running Dex III ATF with Lubegard Friction Modifier (black bottle)

Also, Consumer Reports November 2010 edition rates the Walmart's Everstart Maxx as its Best Buy in four of its five type categories, and Kirkland as the Best Buy in the other of the five categories.

How about optima battery? Is it a waste of money?

I am not sure how long the optima batteries last, someone else might know. I saw a TV show on Speed Channel where they had a rep talk about the batteries. Obviously I did not adsorb all he was saying. But the net did stick with me that they are a better battery in terms of vibration immunity, no acid to leak, etc - but also about 2-3x the price depending on the model. For something like a jet ski, boat, race car where you want to have something that can take a beating, its the best. I guess one would have to quantify how much satisfaction they get knowing they have an optima battery starting their vehicle vs a walmart battery.
    '06 EX-L Red - Mods - Magnum drilled rotors & ceramic pads, stainless lines, Monroe shocks, auto lights, 18" MDX Sport rims/Kuhmo tires. Honda hitch. mud guards. Weather Tech mats. Rad. Screen mod. & trans cooler.
    Issues - R.shocks, 3 eng mounts, blower thermal cut-out, alternator bearing, DVD sound cable, AC clutch bearing, door rattle, what next?
    '12 Kia Optima SX - Turbo GDI 2.0, 274 hp 6 speed
    '07 Saturn Sky Redline project car 1 year and counting on blocks...

We've had an Optoma yellow top in our 2002 for about 5 years, I believe. Its survived several occurances of overnight interior lights left on, and one two week period left completely idle while we were on vacation only a month ago, and its never failed to start the van.

I'd buy another. I think this one was $135 or so.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

I have two of the Ever-Start Maxx from Wallyworld. One of them sits in my camp car, a 1986 Toyota 4-Runner which hasn't seen a paved road in 4 years. In the fall when I close up camp for the winter, I pull the negative cable off and shut the hood. Around Memorial day I reverse the process and turn the key. It always starts.

I will keep buying this line of battery as long as they are available.
    David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know"

2004 Odyssey EX
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE
    2001 Saab 9-3

I had an optima yellow top in my car. The only reason why I had bought it besides hearing they where good was because I have a 3000 watt stereo system in it. I had the battery for a little over three years and one day I stopped for gas and when I went to go start my car, all I got was a one time pop noise. It was completely dead. It wouldn't even turn the buzzer on when when the door was open. I popped the hood and the pop noise I heard was the two little vents on top. They both popped off and hit the hood. I was hoping there was some type of warranty left, but they told me there was nothing. They also told me that they have had so many problems with the optima batteries that they stopped carrying them. So I just bought a similar type of battery but by a different manufacturer. Never again will I buy an optima.

Originally posted by Kscha41
    I had an optima yellow top in my car. The only reason why I had bought it besides hearing they where good was because I have a 3000 watt stereo system in it. I had the battery for a little over three years and one day I stopped for gas and when I went to go start my car, all I got was a one time pop noise. It was completely dead. It wouldn't even turn the buzzer on when when the door was open. I popped the hood and the pop noise I heard was the two little vents on top. They both popped off and hit the hood. I was hoping there was some type of warranty left, but they told me there was nothing. They also told me that they have had so many problems with the optima batteries that they stopped carrying them. So I just bought a similar type of battery but by a different manufacturer. Never again will I buy an optima.
    Odd. I run a red top in my Maxima. I even forgot how long its been but I'd say at least 5 years. No problems yet. I guess I just jinxed myself though.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Originally posted by Kscha41
    call me simple minded, but maybe the 3000 Watt stereo use had something to do with its demise...
    '07 EX-L R&N Nimbus Gray
    '07 Accord EX-L Navi Alabaster Silver Metallic
    '07 Accord SE Royal Blue

Blog Entries
    I have Duralast Golds in all 3 of my cars.....I like'em and Free replacement for 3 yrs....8 Yr pro-rate
    King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

When buying batteries, do you guys check the manufacture dates?

Last time I purchased a battery at BJs, I sorted through their stock and was surprised to see a mix of old and faily new batteries.

Obviously, I went with the newer one. :-)

Blog Entries
    I do
    King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements