What is considered acceptable mileage n a new car?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is considered acceptable mileage n a new car?

What is considered acceptable mileage n a new car?

Howdy everyone!

I am a new member and a soon-to-be new owner of a Ody. I know this question may seem ridiculous but after reading another post I thought I'd ask this question. If I am about to buy a new touring elite how many miles should be on the odometer? Is it foolish to expect it to have less than 10 miles on it? I do not want a car that has been test driven or even used as a demo in the showroom. I want it fresh with all the plastic and wrapping on it.

In one post someone referred to having 200 miles on the car when they purchased it. . I find that unacceptable.

Is this too much to ask? No flaming please. I am a newbie.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Most should be in the single digits or teens. Ours had 99, but the majority of that was because it was transferred from one dealer to another for the sale.

Yeah, it's nice to be the only one whos been in those seats, but I wouldn't let it break the deal. My EVO had close to 300 (highly questionable) miles on it when purchased and it's still going strong at 100K.
    -Jamie
    '11 Touring Elite
    '03 EVO
    '91 GVR4

Thanks for speedy reply. Yeah I am one of those hoping for the single digits or teens. I am also the type when purchasing a product that looks for the brand new, unopened box. Too many times I taken a chance with an opened box and found something missing or not working when I got home. I guess I am using the same approach with the Ody.

Thanks again for your reply.

The day I signed for my Odyssey I test drove one. It had 10 miles on it.
    I have purchased many new cars. (I am 62). All have normally had less than 20 miles on them. Except the ones that were transfered from another dealer. Highest was 229...
    2012 Odyssey Touring Elite, Dark Cherry Red II
    USAF MSgt Retired, 24.5 years

I remember that new in the wrapper feeling. When I bought my first new car in 99 an Electron Blue Pearl Si! I went to my local dealer a few weeks before and told the dealer what I wanted. They said they had one coming in on the truck a few weeks from now. I put my money down and a couple weeks passed. I had forgotten all about it. To my surprise there it was in my drive way still in the wrapper! I jumped in still wearing my PJ's (I worked nights at the time) to my amazement it only had 1 mile on it! After I signed the papers and drove it home it had 3 miles on it! Best car buying experience for me ever! Hope you can have a similar experience and happy car hunting!
    2004 GMC Savana Conversion 2500 series (toy Hauler)
    1998 Integra GSR B20VTEC 13:1 (wifes toy)
    1989 CRX turbo GSR (toy)
    2007 RDX tech (sold)
    2005 Ody Touring depaxed (Wifey daily)

Come check out my youtube channel for autox/hpde vids
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sleepless247
    dont forget to rate, comment, and subcribe

There's probably nothing wrong with a "new" car that's got 300 miles on it, but if it's important to you to have very low miles, be sure and let the dealer know ahead of time.

Under 20 miles should be reasonable, and under 5 miles is probably possible. But if the dealer is thinking of selling you a unit that's been out on several test drives, or one that was transferred from another dealer, it's better to settle the dispute before it happens than to go to the place expecting to pick up the van, then notice the mileage and put up a protest.
    2007 EX-L Nav/Res, Slate Green/Olive

Brandnew vehicles I've had 03 civic has 19miles on it, upon signing the deal. My 04 accord has 3 miles when i got it. My 09 Ody has 330miles due to dealer swapping inventory. It was delivered in Danville,VA then went to High Point,NC then to Lumberton,NC and finally to Sumter,SC a total of 300+ miles. But Im happy with it since then no complaints whatsoever. Im not that picky of the miles it has as long as I knew it is brandnew.

WSY
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostMe97 View Post
    Most should be in the single digits or teens.

I've bought several cars new, and a couple of them happened to have just been delivered to the dealers, were wrapped with vinyl over the paint, plastic over the seats, unprepped with trim parts in the trunk, etc.-- each had about 4 miles on the odo.

I don't have any issues with a new car having up to 50 miles on it, as it's probably difficult to damage the drivetrain (at least with auto trannies) on test drives in so few miles.
    Another silver '04 Odyssey LX,
    stuck in traffic in SoCal...

Thank you everyone for your insight and your good wishes. Spoke to one dealer (we didn't sign papers yet) who said he could get it from another dealer less than 300 miles away. Uh, no thank you. My feeling is if it has anymore than 50 miles on it from demos or otherwise it should be discounted just like furniture or clothing. I can't see spending that kind of money and not getting what I want. Heaven knows I don't need someone else's BO (body odor) smelling up my car before I get it. No sir!

In any case I am now considering taking a color I am not too fond since it's in stock untouched. The color is smoky topaz. Not the dark cherry that I envisioned.

Thanks again everyone.

P.S.- I really like these boards.

Glad you took a stance on what you wanted. I agree that is important especially when making such a pricey investment. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised by the smoky topaz. Good luck with the new van.

Quote Originally Posted by slimkat View Post
    Thank you everyone for your insight and your good wishes. Spoke to one dealer (we didn't sign papers yet) who said he could get it from another dealer less than 300 miles away. Uh, no thank you. My feeling is if it has anymore than 50 miles on it from demos or otherwise it should be discounted just like furniture or clothing. I can't see spending that kind of money and not getting what I want. Heaven knows I don't need someone else's BO (body odor) smelling up my car before I get it. No sir!

In any case I am now considering taking a color I am not too fond since it's in stock untouched. The color is smoky topaz. Not the dark cherry that I envisioned.

Thanks again everyone.

P.S.- I really like these boards.
    I wouldn't have any problem with having a car delivered from a few hundred miles away if I knew it in advance. I would have a problem with walking up to a car on a lot that already had a few hundred unknown miles on it.

When we bought my wife's Ody, I called the dealer and found out that it would be arriving in two days on a transporter. I sent them a check by Fed-Ex and told them to clean it up and park it, we picked it up with 6 miles on it. Then as soon as we signed the paperwork we drove it home 100+ miles.

The car she had before that was purchased in our home town, but was dealer traded for from a dealer 150 miles away. We knew where it was coming from and the dealer sent an employee out with the car they were trading to pick it up and drive it back, so it showed up with about 175 miles on it. To me this was acceptable, as I knew that only a few could be "test drive" miles, the rest were dealer delivery miles.

Realistically, out of the two scenarios, I'd rather they go pick it up and bring it to me. Their time, their gas, and we both know that if they driver damages it...I walk.

That said, wouldn't give any serious thought to buying a 'demo' car from a dealer that had some test miles on it unless there was a HEALTHY price cut involved.

I like mine to be less than 20. My new Ody had 12 on the clock when took delivery. The dealer showed me several vehicles and they ranged anywhere from 9 to 199 miles. No discount for the 199 miles.
    Tinted front windows - coming...

AMR40509- I totally get what you are saying. But you purchased the cars with very low mileage. I would be happy with 6 miles and then I can rack up any amount of mileage on it after that. I have no problem with that.

02maxse- why am I not surprised that there wasn't a discount for the 199 miles?

In any case, the dealer found the Ody in the color I wanted with 25 miles on it. They are flatbedding it to him from another dealer. I guess I lucked out.

Now can I assume they will clean it up/detail it before I get it?

Thanks everyone!

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements