Factory Warranty Expiration Notice - Scam!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Factory Warranty Expiration Notice - Scam!

Factory Warranty Expiration Notice - Scam!

I recently received an official looking letter from the "Auto Warranty Division", advising me that my factory warranty was expiring - but a new aftermarket program will offer an extended coverage if I would call within a week and give a special customer id number.

It's a scam - here's why

I've own the car for only a year and have less than 7k miles on it - Honda offers a 3yr factory and 36k.

I also own a 7yr 75k miles extended warranty - my expiration date is years away. (Got a great buy - thanks to Ody Club)

Honda was printed on the letter head, but the Honda logo was no where in sight.

Finally, they ask in the letter to identify my make, model and current mileage when I called - the real Honda already has this same info on their owner's link.

If you see this one - ignore it and give a holler to warn the unsuspecting.
    Nuodyowner
    2003 EX Sandstone Metallic
    Mud Guards, Cargo Mat & Tray
    Weatherteck all around

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

This kind of stuff floods everyone's mailbox every day.

Just know your business, and throw it away when you see it.

It's not a scam. It's legitimate business. And they're simply selling a product to people who are convinced they want it.

Now, it's not a good product. At least, in my estimation. But in a world where people happily pay a buck nineteen for a half liter bottle of water, and $30 for 10 minutes at the oxygen bar, I think I'm ready to go into business selling people what they want--and judging them only by the money they put in my pocket.

If it makes them happy, so be it...

02-RRP-EX
    It's called spam!

Can you get spam through the US mail?

02-RRP-EX
    Originally posted by adam1991
    Can you get spam through the US mail?
    Spam...junkmail...it all ends up in the same place (trash) !

At least with junk (postal) mail, the marketer has paid for the privilege of filling up your mailbox.

It costs nothing for Spammers to fill up your inbox.
    1999 EX - Midnight Pearl Blue
    Cargo Tray
    Weathertech mats
    Plug-N-Go Console
    CIPA 12" Panoramic Rearview Mirror (Clip On Style)

It's not a scam. It's legitimate business. And they're simply selling a product to people who are convinced they want it.
    It's a scam if they attempt to trick people into thinking it's something it's not, like a genuine Honda product. When I get junk mail that uses tricks to get people to open it or to make people think it's something it's not, if they include a business reply envelope I put the empty envelope into the mail and make them pay postage. Granted, it's not much of a cost to them. But I like to think I'm doing something to send a message back to them.
    Current Hondas: 2010 Odyssey Touring, Polished Metal Metallic;2005 CR-V EX-SE, Pewter Pearl
    Previous Hondas: 2001 Odyssey EX-NAVI, Starlight Silver; 1997 Accord EX-L Forest Green; 1992 Accord EX, White; 1982 Accord DX hatchback, Silver
    Hobby: geocaching

I got the same letter, I filed it appropriately--in the circular file. Like most people I get that kind of crap all the time. At least it keeps the Post Office in business.
    '02 GG EXL-RES w/cargo tray
    '97 Accord 4-door
    '05 Honda OHV single stage snow blower

Originally posted by Steve P
    It's a scam if they attempt to trick people into thinking it's something it's not
    You've just defined most of American retail business.

By your definition, Starbucks is a scam. Their coffee is worth more than coffee you make yourself? People are fooled daily, otherwise intelligent people, into paying 3, 4 dollars for a cup of coffee. They buy it on the way to work--because Starbucks has convinced them. Starbucks has SCAMMED them.

And by your definition, there's no doubt that you yourself happily participate in scams on a somewhat regular basis.

You've just defined most of American retail business.

By your definition, Starbucks is a scam. Their coffee is worth more than coffee you make yourself? People are fooled daily, otherwise intelligent people, into paying 3, 4 dollars for a cup of coffee. They buy it on the way to work--because Starbucks has convinced them. Starbucks has SCAMMED them.

And by your definition, there's no doubt that you yourself happily participate in scams on a somewhat regular basis.
    Totally wrong. Starbucks, and all restaurants in general, market that they add value to something that anyone could make for themselves at home. No scam there. They are not advertising something that they are not. Everybody knows that Starbucks charges more than it would cost to make coffee at home. I know I certainly could not produce at home what Starbucks produces with their coffee equipment.

The scam of tricking people into thinking they sell something that it is not, or tricking people into opening a letter, is when, for example, they place the Honda name on the outside of a letter that's marked that a warranty is expiring. That is deceitful and a scam.

It's not deceitful or a scam in any way. There's no Honda logo, or representation of it being a Honda product in any way. And I would hope that people today realize that just because it says the word "Honda" somewhere on it doesn't mean it's from Honda. That's just how things are today.

As for it being a scam, a scam is when you pay for something and don't get what you paid for. But these "extended warranty" folks are selling a real product.

Just because you don't think it's a good value, doesn't make it a scam. And just because they used good marketing to get you to look at their message doesn't make it a scam.

Using words improperly for the sole purpose of exaggerating your message could be termed a scam.

As for Starbucks, yes, they're every bit the scam (to use your term) that the third party extended warranty people are. They're doing everything they can to get some message across such that you give them your money.

Of course, that's just good marketing. And guess what? People *are* interested in the third party warranties. They willingly buy such products, just like others willingly buy overpriced coffee from Starbucks.

Therefore, someone must think those warranty companies provide value. If they provide value, it's not a scam, right? Right.

Choose your words carefully. Remember the boy who cried wolf.

It's not deceitful or a scam in any way.
    It is deceitful if they're telling people that their warranty is expiring soon when it's not. That being said, you'd have to be pretty stupid to fall for it, and you'd probably deserve to be separated from your money.
    2012 Honda CR-V EX (current)
    2012 Honda Odyssey EX (current)
    2005 Honda CR-V LX (former)
    2004 Honda Odyssey EX (former)
    1999 Dodge Grand Caravan (former)
    1991 Honda Accord LX (former)
    1983 Toyota Tercel (former)

It's not deceitful or a scam in any way. There's no Honda logo, or representation of it being a Honda product in any way. And I would hope that people today realize that just because it says the word "Honda" somewhere on it doesn't mean it's from Honda. That's just how things are today.
    So long as the company does not use the Honda trademarks, the company is allowed to use the word "Honda" in describing what vehicles the company sells extended warranties.

No one presumes that OdyClub represents Honda although this forum focuses on a specific Honda product. (And Honda's legal department sends regular letters to OdyClub admin to make sure of that )

That said, is this company trying to scare people into thinking that their warranty is expiring and that the company's "Auto Warranty Department" is somehow related to Honda. Sure! It may violate the spirit of fraud laws buy certainly does not break the letter of the laws.

As for the phrase, "your warrany is expiring soon," the word "soon" has no legal defintion. "Soon" in nuclear physics is small fractions of a second. "Soon" in geology is tens of thousands of years.

All in all, Buyer Beware!
    1999 EX - Midnight Pearl Blue
    Cargo Tray
    Weathertech mats
    Plug-N-Go Console
    CIPA 12" Panoramic Rearview Mirror (Clip On Style)

Originally posted by OdypusRex
    That said, is this company trying to scare people into thinking that their warranty is expiring
    Exactly. Much of modern advertising and marketing involves scaring people one way or another. Fear is a great motivator.

If you listened to other people and what they think you should be afraid of, you'd curl up into a ball and die virtually the moment you became aware of the world around you.

The fact that people aren't smart enough to make their own decisions about what to be afraid of, isn't the problem of the guy marketing the product. He's not scamming anyone. He's just taking advantage of an all too-natural human condition, the same condition that makes us buy Clorox-impregnated kitchen wipes, for example. THOSE people are "scamming" you as much as anyone else. They're taking HUGE liberties with the truth in an effort to make you give them your money.

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements