Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Anyone ever had their wheels/tires stolen?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  GoLowDrew 
#1 ·
Some dealers offer wheel locks as if their theft is a foregone conclusion. Back in my gearhead days, I’d buy a set of Cragars, slap a set of McGard locks on and never worry about it again, until I once had my car at a BF Goodrich store and observed a guy trying to tap the key into a wheel lock using a mallet, because he nearly ruined the key with an air wrench.

I get that the probability of theft has much to do with where one lives, where they park their vehicle, etc. and I get that wheel locks are cheap insurance. I don’t hear much about wheel theft (at least OEM wheels) so I’m just curious to know how prevalent it is or isn’t.

#2 · (Edited)
locks are to keep honest people honest, if a thief wants the rims locks wont stop them, there was a mustang in town not long back with 24" foose rims, it was stolen and they beat that car off the curbs till 3 off the rims came off, one stayed on the car where they left it, I run stock lugs on my winter alloy rim setup, I use tunner lugs for my 20", I have car insurance to cover the rims tires if they are stolen.

#3 ·
I used a set of McGard wheel locks on my Ody for a few years.

Then I read stories about the locking lug breaking during removal (the keyed head breaks off). That would really turn a roadside flat tire into a major problem.

Also, I saw a Snap-On tool that removes any locking lug. So much for their security.

Finally, like you mentioned no self-respecting thief is going to steal a set of OE wheels, from a minivan no less.

So I removed the McGards and put the OE lugs back on. The wheels haven't been stolen yet!

Dave

#6 ·
one thing I do have is front and rear dash cams, when the car is off the cameras will turn on if there is and motion in the van or motion outside, then we can get those as*&^$# that bump into you when they park and don't say anything. If anything happens outside the van when its parked I have it on video.

#8 · (Edited)
The negotiation for 2014 TE got to a point where the dealers start taking things out/off of the car. Was either that, or I walk. Wheel locks was one of the item. I got the OEM 18s. Honestly, they are not that great looking. Ok, what about those guys looking to make a few dollars off of OEM parts? They would most likely have several sets of wheel lock keys. If they do this often, it's their investment on "proper" tools.

What about the meth or icehead guy? Taking a tire that heavy and big is too much work. They are more into breaking glass, take and run. What are they going to do with a 40lb wheel and tire....They need instant cash for the hit and don't have time to wait for a craigslist sale.

Again, just my opinion. The only decision that matters is what makes you sleep better at night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.