Odyssey in snow and icy roads
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odyssey in snow and icy roads

Odyssey in snow and icy roads

How good are these vans on mountain passes and deep snow? I need a van to carry things not people and am seriously considering the Odyssey or the Element?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Just returned from traverse city, MI where they got 8 inches of snow and well the VAN did wonderful..... It's Salty at the moment and I head for cleveland tomorrow. SO yeah It's a no brainer.. Odyssey all the way!
    2010 Mercury Mariner Prem 203A
    77 miles 06/10
    2010 Honda Odyssey Touring N+R
    4102 miles 06/10
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring N+R 118,929 miles 06/10 2nd set PAX GONE
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring N+R
    09/29/06 in service Slate 37,510 miles 06/08 GONE LEASE TURN IN
    2006 Honda Odyssey EXL SIL N+R
    gone 11/06 33,926
    2004 Honda Odyssey EX SS 59,920
    ---GONE-- 12/31/05
    2004 Honda Odyssey EX RES SAGEBRUSH 05/20/04 Gone ACCORDS 96,98,2000,2002

eneka
    the element would probably be tter if it had 4wd.

Re: Odyssey in snow and icy roads

Originally posted by darylhartnett
    How good are these vans on mountain passes and deep snow? I need a van to carry things not people and am seriously considering the Odyssey or the Element?
    Thanks
    As long as you turn off the VSA in deep snow, you'll do fine in the Odyssey...
    2014 Odyssey Touring
    VMI Wheelchair Conversion
    Alabaster Silver Metallic

2008 Odyssey Touring
    Metallic Mocha
    VMI Wheelchair Conversion

Super Moderator

Re: Odyssey in snow and icy roads

Thanks
    Frankly in deep snow, the FWD tend to do well in most instances. However it never hurts to carry chains just incase.

I have had both - my current '00 Ody and previously had an '04 Element. The Element had all wheel drive and when on slippery or snowy roads, the 4 wheel kicked in automatically and it did extremely well. My Ody has also been driven in 12" deep snow with deeper drifts and on icey roads as well. It has never been stuck and performs very well when driven correctly ... that is, easy on the accelerator and prudent speed. Obviously, the Ody has a much larger carrying capacity than the Element. One other thing my wife and I fould annoying that we originally thought would be an advantage was the "suicide" door opening for the rear side doors on the Element. They were very difficult to manuver in tight spaces like parking lots, etc. We MUCH prefer the side sliding doors of the Ody. Mileage was about the same for both vehicles. We are flatlanders, however, so I can't comment as how either would deal with mountain passes. If severe, I would think true four wheel drive with low and high ranges would be better.

What is the VSA that you reference?

What is the VSA.....I live in Colorado and should I assume that the Odyssey does not come with 4WD?

Re: What is the VSA that you reference?

What is the VSA.....I live in Colorado and should I assume that the Odyssey does not come with 4WD?
    VSA helps you get traction by when the wheels start spinning then the vsa kicks in. It is kinda like the wheels are goverened. It is easy to turn off. Just turn it off at the switch. And no the ody does not have 4wd but does great in the snow.

Smile Re: Odyssey in snow and icy roads

Thanks
    Equipped with good snows it does quite well (I have blizzaks), otherwise in deep snow/ice its marginal at best and is like most other FWD's equipped with all seasons...

Ice and Deep snow aren't the territory for all seaons...
    Read the description of any "All Season" on tirerack.com and they are all described as all-season versatility (including light snow traction)

Honestly, I don't think the Odyssey is a very good vehicle for deep snow. (In light or moderate snow it does fine). We get a decent amount of snow here (8 inches so far today, in fact!). Traction is marginal unless you have special snow tires, but the real problem is it has such low ground clearance - the front spoiler is what, about 4" off the ground? Then you are basically using your front spoiler and bumper to "plow" through the snow - and packing the A/C coils with snow and ice - not good.

My opinion - contrary to the others - you'd be better off looking at something with more ground clearance like a Pilot if you are frequently on snowy mountain passes! (or maybe the Element, but I don't know much about those except that they look goofy )

I was stuck in the snow yesterday and it wasn't that deep. It was slushy/icy and was about 3 to 4 inches. It was on a side street with no street clearing. Even shoveling the snow in front/behind the tire I couldn't get out, VSA or no VSA. A passerby gave me a tow with the front centre tow hook and that got me out. Hope it didn't damage anything and the tranny with all the back and forth

Everything was fine in snow until this instance. The factory tires seems horrible in snow with only 6000 miles on them. Need to look for snow tires or chains.
    2008 Touring Sliver w Black interior - Non Pax

We have over 6in on the ground and I have driven on an unplowed road with no problems. With a good set of snow tires the ody handles extremly well in the snow and even icy conditions. Besides the AWD and 4WD vehicles I have owned the ody is by far the best vehicle on snow covered streets.
    2004 ody ES with RSE 8 12v and 1100watts worth of power.

Super Moderator
    Can't emphasize how much Blizzaks improve foul weather performance. The Ody is a plus 2 ton vehicle and the front wheel drive IS superior to rear driven but the tires are key on ice, and deep snow.

My Ody = BLEH on icey/snow, but is good in the deeper stuff. A lot has to do with tires, but I am to cheap to buy a set of snow tires. I just drive my car which is RWD and has Continental Conti Extreme tires on it for slidign around fun

Marketing Administrator
    SVTPerformance.com
    2007 BMW 750I
    2003 Lexus LS430
    2004 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES 150,000 miles
    2001 CVPI 216,000 miles
    2000 Grey Market (Eek!) Honda Odyssey EX Traded in @ 83k Tranny lived!
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis 178,000+ miles 16.85 @ 85 mph 1/4 mile, original transmission.
    1999 Lexus RX300
    2000 Honda Blackbird 1100XX
    1985 Yamaha Maxim-X

Originally posted by egads
    I in fact hate having stuff in my pockets so much that......I carry a purse.

The little bit I've driven my '02 on the terrible Cleveland area roads the Odyssey does somewhat ok.It could be the rotten Michelin tires(hate Michelin) but it doesn't like icy slush.The tcs is very sensitive and does a very good job.Aside from that the van tracks well and is very predictable.We haven't had deep powder snow yet so can't comment on that.It's comparable to the 95 Ford Windstar I had but not as good as the 02 2wd Ranger I just got rid of.As said above,tires can make a huge difference.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
    2002 EX 90,000 miles
    1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 12,000 miles Mint

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements