Towing 1000 lbs, need TRanny cooler?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Towing 1000 lbs, need TRanny cooler?

Towing 1000 lbs, need TRanny cooler?

We just picked up a 900 lb popup trailer. Figure it will be about 1300 loaded with our stuff. Do we need a tranny and power steering cooler for such a "light" load?

We have a 04 Ody..

THANKS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

According to Honda, you need the cooler with the hitch. You don't have to be towing anything. If they see the hitch and no cooler and your tranny dies, you will have an uphill battle for goodwill consideration.

I assume just the hitch is lighter than 900 lbs? Read up. There are litrally dozens of threads asking the same or similar qustion with only one answer. YES you need the cooler.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Super Moderator
    I'll recommend a stacked plate cooler and line filter like Magnefine at a minimum. Spring for a remote full sized cooler as a option also.

DVpatel's correct, do it or Honda will give you grief in the future....

1) coolers are always a good idea, even if not towing, so I recommend them as well, period. 2) Honda does say you need them for -any- towing with the Ody. and 3) as dvpatel said, a search will find the answer to this many times over...

anyway, being you have an '04 you're out of regular warranty anyway, so unless you bought an extended Honda Care or 3rd party coverage the warranty issue is moot and it's really up to you if you want to install them.

UNLESS your tranny falls into the covered range for 2004's for the infamous tranny recall then you really should put them on - see this thread for reference to the VIN range. the 'goodwill' tranny repairs/recalls for early model Ody's stopped part way through 2004 as they were "pre-fixed" before leaving the factory, or that's what they say.

04 Tranny NOT recalled?

anyway, I still recommend the coolers, towing or not. at least the tranny cooler.

TONS of reading here at OdyClub about 2nd gen transmissions too... got a few months?

welcome to OdyClub
    2005 EX - Sage Brush & Olive
    -Honda Care
    -odyclub.com sticker (need a new one...)
    -Mr. Grille
    -summer: stock Michelins, on the stock alloy wheels - 38 psi
    -winter: 215/70/R16 100T Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV studded, on OEM steel wheels - 40 psi
    -1st row -> Black Weathertech FloorLiners for more complete protection. Excellent!!
    -2nd & 3rd rows -> Black Kraco floor mats, very good -plus- inexpensive
    -Oskar Sure Funnel
    -Weathertech Window Deflectors set of 4

Originally posted by dvpatel
    According to Honda, you need the cooler with the hitch. You don't have to be towing anything. If they see the hitch and no cooler and your tranny dies, you will have an uphill battle for goodwill consideration.

I assume just the hitch is lighter than 900 lbs? Read up. There are litrally dozens of threads asking the same or similar qustion with only one answer. YES you need the cooler.
    Being the new guy here with the new Ody I have some words!

Per Honda's OEM manual, you can haul around 1,000lbs of people or crap, which also equates to part of the tow ratings. And if you're using the hitch for a rack of any kind, you wont be hauling more than 500 lbs.

Also note, I've owned a 2004 CR-V and still own a 2004 Accord EX 4cy. I tow with everything I own, but I dont tow everything with each. The CR-V has a rating of 1500lbs, and the Accord 1,000 lbs. Niether require coolers per Honda, and I've been to the max of each plenty, and over the max (1900 to be exact) with the CR-V.

I can say with conviction, you dont need coolers on the Ody if your towing light loads.

That said, if you've bought a new Ody, I would lean to the side of caution IMO and install the coolers to protect yourself in the event of an ODD...and I mean ODD failure!

Playing devels advocate...the odds are highly in your favor that you will not encounter a problem. It is really ones option to spend the cash for a warm fuzzy feeling they did what Honda says regardless of the details.

Just like the great oil and gas debate...its one option and opinion!

Originally posted by RinconVTR
    Being the new guy here with the new Ody I have some words!

Per Honda's OEM manual, you can haul around 1,000lbs of people or crap, which also equates to part of the tow ratings. And if you're using the hitch for a rack of any kind, you wont be hauling more than 500 lbs.

I don't understand this? ARe you saying that the rating is at 1500 lbs? My book says 3500 for our 04 Ody.

wavesprite, 3500#.

I think what RinconVTR is trying to say is that since one can carry ("haul") 1000+ lbs or so worth of weight (driver, passengers, and cargo) INSIDE the van with no required need for coolers than why can't one tow at least that much without any coolers too? As far as the hitch carrier I would never put a 500 lb load back there, but he's just saying (I think) that if you can also do that without having to have coolers, why does one need coolers when TOWING only light loads? Because Honda says so for the Odyssey, which is irrelevant to other model Hondas. Do many people tow and carry loads with their Odysseys and have no problems at all without coolers? Sure. How many trannys have failed from towing without coolers. Who knows?

To be redundant once again - This gets brought up regularly, as in all the time, and there's a gajillion posts on it. Again, personally I say having tranny and PS coolers regardless if you tow or not can only help and can't hurt. and Honda still says you have to have them to TOW any amount of weight no matter what size load you haul inside the Odyssey, even if inside the van is just you and you're towing less than the max. This seems goofy but that's the way it is. Some dealers I've talked to actually disagree with Honda on this point, but the manual is the manual.

RinconVTR also alludes to the fact that if you do have a large load IN the van, the amount you can tow is reduced - you can't max out the van weight rating and then still max out your towing capacity - you'll be way over the COMBINED weight rating if you do.

To each their own choice, but my vote is still for coolers for larger vehicles, towing or not.
    2005 EX - Sage Brush & Olive
    -Honda Care
    -odyclub.com sticker (need a new one...)
    -Mr. Grille
    -summer: stock Michelins, on the stock alloy wheels - 38 psi
    -winter: 215/70/R16 100T Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV studded, on OEM steel wheels - 40 psi
    -1st row -> Black Weathertech FloorLiners for more complete protection. Excellent!!
    -2nd & 3rd rows -> Black Kraco floor mats, very good -plus- inexpensive
    -Oskar Sure Funnel
    -Weathertech Window Deflectors set of 4

Thanks, Reinhold!
    You took (the better written, more time taken) words out of my mouth.

The 2009 owners manual says. "To help prevent overheating, a transmission fluid cooler and power steering fluid cooler are required for trailer towing..." The 2004 manual says something similar.

Yes, a trailer will stress the car more than the same weight inside the car. Something about air resistance and rolling resistance of the trailer.
    You pay your money and take your chances.

See page from owners manual below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by baseball; 02-25-2009 at 03:14 AM.

Yes, we know what Honda says. We're just discussing.

Another example: When you have 4-8 people in the van, and a roof top box adding air resistance, does that require additional coolers also? No.

Or say you need a hitch for a bike rack, and think you need coolers for that? Of course not. Thats the sort of point trying to be made.

Honda makes a blanket statement that if you add a hitch, you add the coolers. Very matter of fact, when in real life thats not always the case, or always required.

And if you caught my statement on the Accord and CR-V, they tow 1,000 and 1,500 without any additional cooler requirement.

I'm not saying do not add coolers when you add a hitch (my stuff is on order...LOL), I'm just pointing out various ways to look at this "requirement".

We have an aftermarket hitch on ours, for our bike rack, but I do tow my 4.5x8 trailer with my quad on occasion and have no problems. If something comes up though, it only takes 15min to take the hitch off.

Most of the time I use my Titan for towing though, it will tow the van +3500lbs.
    Give Blood, Play Hockey
    05 Ody DEX-L Res Ocean Mist
    04 Titan SE CC 4x4 Brawn Red
    99 Suzuki LTF500F Quadrunner
    89 Honda PC800
    07 Fuji Newest 3.0 Road bike
    92 Honda 4518 Lawn Tractor and HR215 mower

Originally posted by baseball
    ...a trailer will stress the car more than the same weight inside the car. Something about air resistance and rolling resistance of the trailer....
    So true, plus the interference drag between the tow vehicle and towed trailer, which adds up to a lot.

A cartop carrier is about the worst thing you can do from an aerodynamics standpoint with very little useable gross weight for the amount of space available (you do not want a huge moment arm up topside; then, you end up with vulnerability to rollover that is akin to buying an SUV). Just because the manual doesn't say to add a cooler doesn't mean it's an unwise decision in this case. If you have to press on the gas a lot more to make that grade at freeway speed, and the tranny is kicking through the gears, you're going to generate more heat.

herrhaus, I keep hearing you as my "conscience" telling me to install my Tru-Cools. It's in the works. I'm driving the MR2 beater-mobile right now, and getting the last bits (Adel clamps, spring tension clamps, hose, PS cooler, and a chiody-style filter getup).

I've kept my thermocouples on the wife's Ody (fitted with OEM ATF & PS coolers), and am still amazed at how hot that blamed ATF gets under normal conditions without anything attached to the outside of our Ody (trailer or cartop carrier). See this:

See the 7th post down on this page

Our Odys are 4,000+ lb. boxes with minivan aerodynamics and they possess a transmission with the equivalent volume of a very small suitcase to transmit all the required motive power. If a brother thinks that doesn't call for additional cooling of the fluid circuit, fine. I'm not so trusting of the robustness of the machinery, though.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by baseball
    The 2009 owners manual says. "To help prevent overheating, a transmission fluid cooler and power steering fluid cooler are required for trailer towing..." The 2004 manual says something similar.

Yes, a trailer will stress the car more than the same weight inside the car. Something about air resistance and rolling resistance of the trailer.
    You pay your money and take your chances.

See page from owners manual below.
    What is a false and misleading statement pertaining to remote ATF/Power steering coolers in the 09' manual, "These coolers are available only from your Honda dealers."

NO THEY'RE NOT...!!!!!

Originally posted by chiody
    I'll recommend a stacked plate cooler and line filter like Magnefine at a minimum. Spring for a remote full sized cooler as a option also.
    What do you mean by "remote full-sized cooler"? Is that what a Tru-cool is? I'm confused by the term "remote".

-TM

I think he meant to say, "Spring for a remote full size filter", since chiody uses something like this for his tranny:

Regards, OF

P.S. After chatting with people who use 3/4 and 1-ton trucks for real work (not posing), one observation they've made for me is that many who install these filters on their trucks (often older models that did not include add'l filtration) have enjoyed relatively trouble-free operation. In short, where they expect a failure and rebuild due to severe service, by only changing one variable (adding a remote filter), they've eliminated the previously expected transmission rebuild incident they had come to expect as "the cost of doing business and real work" with their trucks.
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements