A/C Condenser Fan Speed
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A/C Condenser Fan Speed

A/C Condenser Fan Speed

First off this forum is great. It has helped me fix numerous items on my odyssey.

Here are my questions for someone.
    Does the condenser fan have two speeds? If so what brings on high speed? And can I jumper the contacts on the relays to simulate high speed?

Thanks

P.S. I have a 2000 odyssey with 160k and original tranny.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Actually, I originally answered only single speed, but looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like it is SOMETIMES run in series with the radiator fan.

To get high-speed-guaranteed, you'd need to jumper the radiator fan main relay in the abs relay assembly, which is right behind the radiator overflow tank. Its the most forward of the three relays in that box.

Note that this is a BAD idea. By jumpering that relay, the low-speed operation of the RADIATOR fan will be DISABLED, and it'll not run at all when its asked for low speed.

What is the problem you are trying to solve?
    Last edited by SuperDad; 06-19-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

The A/C compressor was making a clicking noise. I took it to a shop and they replaced the compressor, dryer, and expansion valve. The A/C was still not doing well after all the work. They evacuated and charged the system again. This helped the situation. My wife said the A/C blows cooler air when the fan is in the third position but when in 4th, highest, the air gets a little warmer. The shop said the condenser fan may not be going to high speed when in stop and go traffic. I checked last night when the car was still hot and it sounded like both fans were running high speed.

What I suggested will work as a short term test, so you can see what low/high speeds act like.

It may be expected that the air would feel warmer at the highest fan speed than the third speed. The air is flowing faster, so has less time to deliver its heat to the evaporator core.

This remains a job for the AC folks to convince you if its working right or not.

The service manual has a bunch of charts about the expected temperatures of outflow air given the input air temperature.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

Is this the relay box you are referring to? I am not sure the condenser fan is the problem. Yesterday I ran it on the interstate for 15 to 20 min. @ 70 mph and the air coming out of the center vent only got down to 50 deg. Could it be possible I have a clogged condenser?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, thats the box, but for some reason it is reversed(twisted 180 degrees) from the picture I have. The radiator fan main relay should be the light blue one(and it's probably labeled on the box lid.

At 70mph, it is unlikely that either fan will run AT ALL. They are there to make sure that at low speed there's flow past the fins.

On page 21-61 of my service manual, I have a nice chart of output temp vs input temp at various humidity levels and other factors.

At an input temperature of 95 degrees, at the BEST possible humidity level(30%) and only one AC system running(the rear OFF), the best you should hope for is an output temperature of 57 degrees.

I don't know enough about your operating conditions.

I chickened out on using a jumper on the relay. But I did verify that both fans run at low speed and at high speed. While I was doing that I monitored the air temp and it would not get below 70 both front and rear on 3/4 speed. Temp outside 88 at 70% humidity.

I decided to take it on the road and even at slow speeds around 30 to 40 the temp dropped to around 60. Once I got on the freeway and up to speed the temp went down to 50. It stayed on 50 until I got home. I let it idle in the driveway a few minutes and the air started to warm up. I decided to shut it off and save some gas. As far as my operating temperatures go, this week is a scorcher 95 to 100 with 70 to 90 % humidity. Maybe I am not so bad off after all.

Was it on recirculate? (It should be, once the outside is >80)

If it was drawing air in from outside at 88, in theory it should be able to get down to around 65-70.

I suppose once you stop, the intake might be getting heat off the engine.

The recirculate was on during my test.

I just finished cleaning the condenser coils with a cleaner and rinsed with water. I will see tomorrow if that makes any difference.

Originally posted by SuperDad
    ***snip*** I suppose once you stop, the intake might be getting heat off the engine.
    That's a good point. Check that the rubber weatherstrip is correctly in place under the hood along the front edge of the intake plenum. This prevents engine bay heat (and dirt, fumes, etc.) from entering the cabin air intake. It had expanded on mine and so assumed an S shape. So it had lost contact with the underside of the hood in a few places.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements