Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Any News on the 2018 Odyssey?

253K views 365 replies 93 participants last post by  Bond007 
#1 ·
Is it normal for Honda to hold out this long to introduce any real news on the next year's model? We're in the market, but are holding on to see what the 2017 will offer. At the very least, to see what the 2017 introduction will do to the price of the 2016s. I've tried to find info on what point of the year a refresh model was introduced, but have been unsuccessful. Any insights?

#95 ·
Then, next spring, we'll launch an all-new Odyssey that will complete the remake of our Honda light truck lineup. With pickup and SUVs all the rage, it's no surprise to hear that we're on track for all-time record sales of Honda light trucks in 2016.

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=9276-en

#96 ·
Then, next spring, we'll launch an all-new Odyssey that will complete the remake of our Honda light truck lineup. With pickup and SUVs all the rage, it's no surprise to hear that we're on track for all-time record sales of Honda light trucks in 2016.

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=9276-en
Dang it... I guess that settles it. I was hoping it'd be at most in January since my third child is due then.

#97 ·
I wonder if it will be called a 2017, 2017 & 1/2, or 2018 model.

#103 ·
I posted this pic already on the forum but here it is again. I made this sketch by looking at the spy photos. Note that this was drawn before the 2017 CR-V was announced, and the new CR-V validates my sketch. It looks like the 2017 Odyssey will re-use the same themes as the CR-V and Pilot. I'm confident that the lightning bolt will be gone.

Automotive design Car Vehicle door Vehicle Line art

#105 ·
I posted this pic already on the forum but here it is again. I made this sketch by looking at the spy photos. Note that this was drawn before the 2017 CR-V was announced, and the new CR-V validates my sketch. It looks like the 2017 Odyssey will re-use the same themes as the CR-V and Pilot. I'm confident that the lightning bolt will be gone.

View attachment 95049
From photos from motor1.com, I see there are 2 layers of grille (top and bottom splitted). Is this only me? If this is the case, it looks pretty ugly.

#111 ·
Given past history, after the 2017s are finally put out for sale, how long will dealerships hold out for full MSRP plus markup, before finally being willing to accept lower offers? Odysseys are perennial favourites and dealerships have been able to command extortionate prices for years after a new model is introduced.

#116 ·
See this - 2016 Honda Odyssey Whatcom - Sims Honda

The image on this page is definitely not 2016. The tail lamps seem to be form the next gen.
View attachment 95313
Silly me. I just tried "chatting" online with "Kaycee", the lovely girl at the Sims Honda website. My intention was to point out that the the pictured 2016 Odyssey was posted in error. I further inquired if the picture was actually that of the yet-to-be-on-sale 2017 Odyssey.

Of course I got nowhere because she was very sweetly asking me for the VIN of the 2016 Odyssey I was interested in. I disconnected. And no, I do not own a blow-up doll.

#122 ·
Anyone have any update as to when they will actually release the 2017 Odyssey? I know the letter released from Honda stated Spring of 2017 but now I am hearing that in 1 month they will be releasing the 2017 model which is the same as the 2016. in the spring they say the newly designed 2017 will be released. Is this normal? I will be extending my lease to my 2013 for the second time since I want the newly designed 2017.

#123 ·
I think the consensus is that the redesigned model released in Spring 2017 will be the 2018 model year.

This apparent overlap with the 2017 MY is not that unusual. Manufacturers these days release new models at all times of the year. Gone are the days when they released new models only in the Fall.

Dave

#124 · (Edited)
A salesman told me the same. The '17 is actually going to be an '18 released in May which I agree is not unusual.

What is unusual is that it may be that there is no '17 model at all. GM did that with the '84 Vette. It skipped from '82 to '84 and there was no '83 model. If Honda waits until May, I suspect there will be a '17 for months. GM introduced the '91 Caprice in January '90. If Honda did that with the '18, then I expect there would be no '17 model year.

#126 ·
Since the current gen3 Pilot debuted in February 2015 and was offered for sale in June of the same year as a 2016 model, I'm not sure how a release regarding the second model year of that generation applies.

#128 ·
I was looking at some of the trim features - for instance, the 2017 is getting Carplay while the 2016 didn't. (I actually followed a link from macrumors to the press release.) Better media is one of the main reasons I am holding out for 2017. (Also, on one of the pics in the press release, it showed "audio" and "rear audio" with headphones - I don't want RES but would love to have my own audio when my tween wants her favorite music! :)

#129 ·
Well that makes little sense to me... not what you posted, but the practice of making significant changes a year into a model's life.

#133 ·
The redesigned Ody will probably be a 2018.

In the interim, I think they will continue making and selling the 2016. That would allow their marketing people to focus on the new model. Sales are slower during the winter months so they will probably produce 2016's at full capacity until they have sufficient inventory. At that point, they would stop production and begin retooling the plant for the new model.

Certainly, I have no inside information, but anyway that's how I would do the conversion if I were CEO. LOL

Dave

#137 ·
So production of the 2017 Pilot has started at the Alabama plant. Now the Odyssey is the last one to be updated. Its gotta be getting close. I read that they are moving MDX production and are concentrating on Pilot and Odyssey (and Ridgeline) output to keep up with strong demand.

#138 ·
Yeah I think they are moving at least some MDX production to Ohio. I'm really hoping we get more info at the Detroit auto show. Maybe they will do what they did with the 2017 CRV and release info a few weeks before actually showing it at the auto show. Seeing the sleek looking 2017 CRV interior is getting me really excited for what the 17 Ody will be like.

#143 ·
Hi everyone, I'm a new member who has been watching this thread and need to vent for a moment. We are looking to buy our first minivan in one or two years as our family is outgrowing our 10 and 12 year old sedans.

We like the new Sedona and Pacifica and have been waiting to see what the new Odyssey and Sienna will offer. A sunroof is a must and after configuring all four we were quite disappointed. The Sedona and Pacifica only offer a sunroof on their top of the line models starting at over $41k. We don't need all the bells and whistles and were hoping to keep it to $36k or a little more. At least the current Ody and Sienna let us configure a sunroof on a mid-level model. We hope that doesn't go away when the new models area released.

We know manufacturers create these packages to up-sell but...arrgh.

#144 ·
I can tell you that my lease for my second odyssey has matured in July and I extended it once till now hoping the new 2017 would have been out. I plan on extending my lease again. Its very disappointing that they have not released it yet nor have they release any concrete info on it however I will tell you that although its just my opinion the odyssey is a perfect mini-van. Just just all around good! I looked into the sienna but just not impressed. I think Honda is making a huge mistake by not releasing any info but hey... its their call

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.