Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Any News on the 2018 Odyssey?

253K views 365 replies 93 participants last post by  Bond007 
#1 ·
Is it normal for Honda to hold out this long to introduce any real news on the next year's model? We're in the market, but are holding on to see what the 2017 will offer. At the very least, to see what the 2017 introduction will do to the price of the 2016s. I've tried to find info on what point of the year a refresh model was introduced, but have been unsuccessful. Any insights?

#2 · (Edited)
I've been following this very closely and the best info to date is Honda will introduce the new Ody at the L.A. auto show November 15 and hit the dealers in January 2017.

For big feature rumors it's very unlikely there will be AWD or hybrid options but a Honda designed 10 speed tranny is possible for upper trim levels.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't think I want to wait much past September to even hear about what it'll include. If they announced it earlier, I'd be fine waiting until a January 2017 release date if new features made it worth it. I'll keep following this as well. See if anything more gets released.

#6 ·
2017 odys will have improved VCM like the 2016 pilot. Honda went back to 3 cylinder VCM instead of the 2-3 cylinder VCM2.
Sparkplugs will be fired even when VCM3 is activated to prevent oil fouling. Active motor mounts will be stronger. 2011 -2016 odys with VCM2 are problematic. Even Honda admits it needs to fire sparkplugs to prevent oil fouling in the deactivated cylinders.

#8 ·
Sparkplugs will be fired even when VCM3 is activated to prevent oil fouling. [...] Even Honda admits it needs to fire sparkplugs to prevent oil fouling in the deactivated cylinders.
Okay, but that doesn't address the root problem of oil getting past the rings into the combustion chamber.

Dave

#7 ·
We were in the same boat...

My wife had a 2012 Acadia and was driving me crazy for a minivan.

I told her, the acadia was too new to trade in yet. But if I could get at least 8K in profit off of it then I would buy her a minivan.

Well I put the ad up, and no where close to that amount for a while and then boom someone bit.

With her Acadia gone we had to replace it and really wanted to see all the new '17 models the Pacifica, Sienna, Odyssey, and even the new Quest which finally had its safety issues address in this redesign.

I travel WAY TOO MUCH and actually had enough rental car points to hold off buying a new van for a few months but wanted to know if that was worth it.

No sign of anything from Honda or Toyota.

We drove the new Pacifica and while the styling is fine, it felt every bit Chrysler. Not to mention the wife didn't like the new touchscreen entertainment system. She was worried that the kids would be leaning forward when they were in a crash, and that wasn't safe.

Also, if you're in the third row, you can't see the screens

So we ruled it out despite some excellent incentives for a brand new model.

Sienna ended up being our favorite van out of what was left, but honda financing blew toyota away. With good credit you can actually make money on the deal.

We ended up leasing our Odyssey with the understanding that we can take advantage of the Honda upgrade program and trade it out for the new model in 12 months.

So we got a 2016. $0 down amazing payment and in 12 months, will swap it out for the new model, and start the lease over again.

Talk to your dealer, it may not be such a bad situation after all

#15 ·
We drove the new Pacifica and while the styling is fine, it felt every bit Chrysler. Not to mention the wife didn't like the new touchscreen entertainment system. She was worried that the kids would be leaning forward when they were in a crash, and that wasn't safe.

Also, if you're in the third row, you can't see the screens

So we ruled it out despite some excellent incentives for a brand new model.
Wow, very surprising! Not liking the Uconnect! That system is actually amazing IMO. Most highly rated out there and not even in the same league as the current Honda system in the Odyssey which is not very good at all. Every time I have to mess with our 2015 Odyssey Touring nav (especially on the go) with voice activation I end up wanting to shoot myself and end up resorting to using my iphone lol. Uconnect 8.4 in my Jeep is flawless each and every time I need something. Everything just works and is incredibly easy to use. Hard to imagine someone not liking it when it works so well. The other thing I find hard to imagine is when comparing interiors there is also no comparison between Pacifica and Odyssey especially the Pacifica Limited. The Odyssey is such an old design now that's due for the refresh so its tough to compare those anyway.
Anyway, glad to see you guys ended up happy with your purchase decision, but for me I know for sure if the Pacifica Limited was out when we bought our 2015 Odyssey Touring, the Pacifica would without a doubt be in our garage right now.

#16 ·
Me too, I'm puzzled how one prefer Hondas infotainment system over Chrysler's... I just read a review from the "Car Connection" - 2016 Honda Pilot Touring long-term road test. They mention 7 things they would improve. The #1 fix? The infotainment system... Here is a quote:... "Here's what we'd fix:... The homebrew-ish infotainment interface.... We complain a lot about infotainment systems, everything from Ford's MyFord Touch (may it rest in agony) and the roller-controller brigade from Germany and South Korea. Honda's system is pure touchscreen, which we prefer, and it has big touch-and-swipe tiles for mostly easy operation.... Fitting for the company that builds the Odyssey, Honda's setup feels like a third-rate gaming system. Some tabs on screens are small, low-contrast affairs; toggling from Map to Audio functions is a legit first-world hassle, and Honda's Garmin-licensed maps offer none of the gorgeous visual depth of some systems in other $44,000 vehicles.... None of this leads to hair loss, stomach upset, headaches, dizzy spells, or anything that requires a warning label. Still, five minutes in a Chrysler Pacifica shows how a well-developed system can lure buyers into a different vehicle altogether."

#17 ·
It's amazing to me nobody talks about AWD. This, to me, is a HUGE selling point and will be a deciding factor in my next purchase. We have a CR-V which we've outgrown, and AWD is simply a must for us. We don't live IN snow, but we do live in the Northern California foothills where a quick trip to Tahoe or Reno is always in the weekend cards. I hate the look and feel of the Sienna. I'm BEGGING for Honda to throw an AWD option into the Odyssey. If they do, it's a no-brainer buy for us.

#18 ·
AWD can be a false security blanket. The main thing you need is good SNOW tires. Not All-Season tires, SNOW tires. Slap the snow tires on in October/November when the snow starts falling in the mountains, take them off in April/May when it's done. I had better traction in the Colorado mountain passes with snow tires on a FWD than I did with all-season on an AWD.

#26 ·
If you mean on your Odyssey, yes that setup would give good traction for accelerating in snow.

But you should really put snow tires on all four corners to get better traction for braking and cornering.

Dave

#25 ·
#27 ·
Heres another Test... with Summer, All Season and Winter. There is some slight difference between AS and Summer. The winter tires really shine here though. Outside of Rain and Dry roads, I wouldnt put too much confidence in AWD. AWD is about getting your car moving, not about stopping it. In an emergency AWD isnt going to help you stop, Traction on the other hand will.

Tire Test Results : Testing on Ice: Winter / Snow vs. All-Season vs. Summer Tires

https://youtu.be/GlYEMH10Z4s
I like it thanks!

#33 ·
So i'm guessing Honda probably already has things finalized for the 17 odyssey. I'm guessing they have to get production lines in place months before flipping the switch to start actual production. I'm sure someone on here knows more of how this works but seems to me like they should have things finalized at this point? Just curious as to why they are holding off announcing it? Unless they are waiting for the rumored in house sourced 10AT transmission?

#34 ·
So Toyota is already out with the 2017. Basically no changes, except for the updated powertrain - engine and transmission. Engine gets a 30 hp boost (from 266 to 296) and a 8-speed transmission is now standard, replacing the 6-speed.

I'm just guessing that Honda was waiting for that info in order to release info for the '17 Odyssey :)

#36 ·
Yep, 2017 Siennas are actually already on dealer lots right now. Pretty much all the dealers in my area have at least a couple. Just wish Honda would get their act in gear and at least announce the 17 Odyssey. Might get some people to hold out instead of getting a 17 Sienna or Pacifica.

#35 ·
It's actually a new direct-injection engine replacing the multiport fuel-injected version. Combined fuel economy increases by 0.5 liters/100km or about 0.2 MPG (US).

Dave

#39 ·
But the 2017 Sienna has no upgrades in safety. Unlike almost the rest of the 2017 Toyota lineup, they don't even get the option for Toyota Safety Sense. I'm pretty sure the 2017 Ody will get Honda Sensing.

#44 ·
#46 ·
I'm hoping that Honda is working to make the Ody higher quality than the Pilot, which is having all kinds of problems. They had touted how the Pilot was the first model designed and tested virtually, I guess that didn't work out for them. Honda is really having problems with quality now a days, Acura just finished dead last in a recent study.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.