So Whats Your Thoughts On The 2018? - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: So Whats Your Thoughts On The 2018?

rcpax - This isn't a refresh. The van moved to a new platform. It is an evolution in styling...but the van is all new.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    The last thing I want is to have to replace batteries that cost nearly as much as an engine and then I've wondered where all these "recycled" batteries go and what kind environmental damage is done manufacturing and recycling them (a bit like all these li-Ion batteries in phones--you know they're just ending up in landfills.) I just don't see hybrids as being a net benefit to the environment, cost more in replacements, and just make more to go wrong and have to be maintained. My in-laws have a hybrid Hyundai and have had problems with the batteries going dead. I'd rather fight VCM...at least there's a Muzzler for that.
    Oh come on, don't spew lies about hybrids. The batteries are all recycled, just like regular car batteries. Its no mystery.
    2014 Silver Elite

Past
    2001 Ody EX
    2004 Ody EX NAV
    2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2011 Ody Elite

For what it's worth, my first impression was "evolution". We have an 08 with just over 160k miles that we are very very happy with. But at some point I know it will have to be replaced, as this is the wife and I's favorite "every day and traveling car", and I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone here why.. When I compare my initial reaction of "that is UGLY" to the current generation, "evolution" is definitely a positive.

I am not a fan of the lightning bolt design, as it does nothing for the function of the car. But familiarity has trained my brain and my eye to accept it as the shape of the odyssey. So, I'm disappointed that the belt line is not a crisp, taught straight line, giving panoramic views to all passengers, this implementation seems to integrate it a little better. Maybe it's the lack of the door slide, I'm not sure. I also do not like the roof line/d-pillar styling, how the roofline gets thicker towards the rear, and the d-pillar curves from thick to thin at the bottom. To me, it makes the rear end look "dumpy" and "droopy". Yes, I see the CRV influence, but I still like the strong muscular lines of the 08 version better.

The interior seems fine to me. Honda still seems stuck on making the center stack as cluttered and un-intuitive as humanly possible. Our 08 is similar, as is our 10 Accord. It's a honda "thing" but it works once you get used to it. This one seems no different. I was hoping to see fold away center seats, as what a pita to move and store the removable ones. But it's nothing we haven't become used to over the past 8 years. I definitely like the apple and android phone integration, I just hope it's somewhat future proof and can adapt to future advances. I definitely like the foot activated power rear door, even if it's not a honda invention.. And the other electronic bits seem like they can be useful for families with small kids.

I wonder about the 10-speed transmission. Our 5 speed has served us well, and been reliable. Time will tell whether this will be as solid, so I hope we can coax another few years out of our 08. And these heavy people movers can use all the horsepower they can get, so the extra is a plus, but more would have been much better.. I also like the bigger brakes, as our 08 is definitely under-braked for it's size and weight. And honda made a big deal about noise reduction. This is probably our number one complaint about the 08..the noisy interior when driving.

So...all in all..that's a long "first impression" from watching a video and looking at a few pictures. I guess my bottom line is I see some good things, and I see some styling issues I don't like that much. But I've had at least one honda in my driveway since 1984, and have had very few problems with them along the way. And I just don't think I see anything that will keep me from replacing my 08 with one of these, barring issues with the transmission. I think honda has done an excellent job with the evolution of this product, and the good thing is you don't see the belt line from the drivers seat..

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The lightning bolt does have a function. It lowers the window line for the third row passengers. Although not as prominent in this model as the sliding door track is way up by the window line now. Also now you know why Honda resisted the hidden track, look at the huge bulge it creates on the C pillar! But it looks like Honda let its crazy US designers go wild with the new Ody, as it looks like all the design elements are there just for design sake and not for function and to impress other designers. Reminds me of the Bangle designed BMW's from the 2000's. Terrible.
    2014 Silver Elite

Past
    2001 Ody EX
    2004 Ody EX NAV
    2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2011 Ody Elite

Quote Originally Posted by OdyDudy View Post
    The lightning bolt does have a function. It lowers the window line for the third-row passengers.
    Really? Are you also among those "falling" for that reason?
    Listen. if the second window wouldn't go up so much, there's no need to "lower" the third-row window... simple!
    Check out all competitors WITHOUT the lightning bolt - the third-row windows are even bigger than the Odysseys!

Here are my observations. I agree mostly to odyhead (2 posts up) especially with the first 2 paragraphs about the design. I don't like the bolt and the D-pillar which curves and narrows down to the bottom.

Some people don't care about hybrid, others don't care for AWD. I personally don't care about all the hyped features, like rear cameras and cabin talk. I do appreciate the new safety features (who doesn't), and hope that the claim of "very quiet" will hold up in real life. Can't wait for some reviews of test drives. I am happy for the power boost, uncertain about transmission.

What I mostly want to hear, how the new infotainment is working. Yahoo reported that it's a huge improvement, and that remains to be seen. I already complained in the other thread that the climate control buttons are very unintuitive. Basically the interior has a similar look than the current design, I would expect something more striking. But it's not bad.

Here what I would like to check out – if there are any test drivers here, I would like to know the following – compared to the current generation:

1. Did they add speakers in the third-row seat? (In the current model the 3rd-row passengers can barely hear the audio.)

2. Did they improve the sliding door mechanism? (The current model sucks, keeps beeping at every possible opportunity, closing in middle of opening? Beeps! Driver pressing the open button along with passenger? Beeps again! The doors seem to be completely confused... All other minivans are mile-years ahead in that regard).

3. I would like more info about the Honda app, can it start the van remotely? What else can it do?

4. What about the individual tire pressure monitor? Is it back in the new generation?

5. What about the DC plugs in front, does it have at least 2 plugs? in 2011 models they had 2, and on the 2014 models they took away 1 and placed the USB port over there instead. In today's electronics world, we can use even more than 2, but 2 should be the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sams Dovels View Post
    Really? Are you also among those "falling" for that reason?
    ...Check out all competitors WITHOUT the lightning bolt - the third-row windows are even bigger than the Odysseys!
    Really. The design reason for that lighting bolt was so that the motors for the sliding doors could be located lower in the rear body panels, and thus not intrude on window area for the third row passengers. I’ve ridden in the third row of a late model (2015/2016) Toyota Sienna numerous times and compared to the 2016 Odyssey, the side windows back there are indeed rather small. Not reduced to porthole size, but definitely small.
    2016 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite Brand new
    2007 Honda Civid Hybrid 150,000 miles and counting - will never buy a hybrid again.
    2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES 201,500 miles Sold
    1997 Honda Accord LX 265,000 miles Sold
    1994 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon 120,000 miles Traded in
    1993 Honda Civic EX 100,000 miles Traded in
    1991 Honda Civic EX 180,000 miles TOTALLED

Quote Originally Posted by Sams Dovels View Post
    Here are my observations. I agree mostly to odyhead (2 posts up) especially with the first 2 paragraphs about the design. I don't like the bolt and the D-pillar which curves and narrows down to the bottom.

1. Did they add speakers in the third-row seat? (In the current model the 3rd-row passengers can barely hear the audio.)

2. Did they improve the sliding door mechanism? (The current model sucks, keeps beeping at every possible opportunity, closing in middle of opening? Beeps! Driver pressing the open button along with passenger? Beeps again! The doors seem to be completely confused... All other minivans are mile-years ahead in that regard).

5. What about the DC plugs in front, does it have at least 2 plugs? in 2011 models they had 2, and on the 2014 models they took away 1 and placed the USB port over there instead. In today's electronics world, we can use even more than 2, but 2 should be the minimum.
    No speakers in the third row? The last time I checked I had two, one in each D pillar, and a subwoofer buried somewhere in the cargo hold. Even my old 2002 had a pair of speakers all about the way in the back.

My sliding doors seems to work fine in my 2016, not as glitchy as in my older Odyssey.

The removal of the individual tire pressure monitor and the reduction of the DC plugs was definitely a retrograde step. My 2016 can boast of only one DC plug, hidden ALL the way in the back, by the third row window armrest.
    2016 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite Brand new
    2007 Honda Civid Hybrid 150,000 miles and counting - will never buy a hybrid again.
    2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES 201,500 miles Sold
    1997 Honda Accord LX 265,000 miles Sold
    1994 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon 120,000 miles Traded in
    1993 Honda Civic EX 100,000 miles Traded in
    1991 Honda Civic EX 180,000 miles TOTALLED

Reminds me of the car that Homer designed when he was given carte blanche to do so....

I do not care for the new design, i think it is uglier than the current model. The side door panel curves look like it got sideswiped. The center stack looks like it was taken from a completely different vehicle.

I have longed for carplay but wish it was wireless. I appreciate all the tech but it looks like it will be too teched out and confusing to navigate. I do not have confidence in the new transmission options.

I appreciate what appears to be a height adjustment on the passenger seat (wish there was lumbar too), the wide squared off hatch opening for our dog crates and under crate drawers, arm rests on both sides for the 2nd row.

I am curious if the front seats can be moved farther aft on their tracks like the sienna can.

We will definantly consider the odyssey in the next few years when we look to replace our current one, however i think with selling our 4wd suv and the increased room the sienna front seats afforded we will be taking a more serious look at the next sienna.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2014 Odyssey LX
    silver/truffle

I like the redesign overall for the exterior.
    Game changer for me is the apparent push button transmission selector.
    Not in my life! Far prefer the stalk handle on the dash.
    Also it is placed in the center of the dash face such that some may need to reach to touch the buttons. Not smart.
    If it were me buying this van I would purchase an extended warranty given all the electronic features and the nine speed transmission that has been giving issues to the Pilot.
    I have been waiting almost a full year for this new model anxious to buy.
    Now being told it will be a few more months until avaialable at dealers.
    Very disappointed.
    Does anyone know if the push button transmission selector is only on top models using nine speed vs lower models using six speed? If lower models still using six speed is shift stalk still then avaialable? Game changer for me!
    I have been a loyal Honda /Acura client since the late 90's having purchased 9 vehicles in that time.
    Think today I may start shopping competition.

I have mixed feelings about new Odyssey 2018.
    Dashboard looks very cheap - why so much plastic?, interior seats have to be removed- looks very heavy. 10 speed transmission - wonder what quality and life span to be expected?
    This is scary knowing Pilot experience.
    Roof rack available?..need for two kayaks!
    Any information on the technical details as actual power and mileage (no lab testing!) or LED all around?
    Wheel and tires sizes 17" or 18" or 20"?
    For higher end models I expect more wood finishing-if any Honda could offer?
    Disappointed - no AWD(on some models). Presently my approach is to wait and see...or Sienna on the horizon to be consider ?
    BTW - my 2005 Odyssey already 365 k km and runs strong.
    Lastly "supra196" said: Think today I may start shopping competition....so, I think that we are on the same page

I thought the design is going to be more like the European/Asian Odyssey... very disappointed to see the lightening bolt and the thick rear pillar CRV design....
    I do love the "magic slide" feature tho...
    and where did they hide the door slide track?

One of the annoying "features" in my current 2015 Odyssey, is whenever I need to go open the trunk while engine is running, the "NO KEY" beep comes up. It should not come on being THAT close to the vehicle.
    Also, I don't like in general to see in the display the oil life monitor. I always turn it OFF. But whenever the "NO KEY" beep comes on, this message re-appears by itself. Extremely annoying!

I would also like that when getting closer to the "15% oil life remaining", instead of displaying it non-stop on the gauge cluster, rather give us a short reminder message, like Toyota is displaying: "Maintenance required soon", and that's it. To show it constantly is not very smart.

Another thing I hope they improved on the new models, is the heating ducts on the floor. The current design is blowing hot air on your legs, not on your frozen toes like most other cars are. I hope the placed it at a better position now.

I think there are a lot of improvements made to the new Ody - that really can't be disputed. However there is only one thing I saw that made me say "Oooh - I wish our Ody had that!" - the Magic Slide seats in the second row. The ability to remove that center seat and push the two full-sized seats together to one side would make life SOOO much easier when you need someone to sit in the third row (which in our case, at least, is pretty frequently).

I do think the lightning bolt is better implemented in the 2018, but I think the front and rear fascias should have steered more to a family resemblance with the Pilot and Ridgeline instead of to the CR-V. I prefer the relatively flat door and side panels on our 2015 ahead of the new van's "hockey stick" crease - those new doors and sides will never be repaired; they'll simply be replaced and recycled.

The infotainment system has to be better than what we have in our 2015; it couldn't possibly be worse. Third row speakers are currently only available in trim levels above EX. Our EX certainly does not have them but it would be nice if it did. The in-car camera is an overly complicated gimmick that the conversation mirror in the overhead console duplicates very well at a much reduced cost. The PA system is probably useful to some, but overkill - you're driving a minivan, not a tour bus.

We have always found our Ody to be very quiet inside, so the extra sound insulation I'm sure will be noticeable, but not something that will send us running to the dealership. VCM is back, but I think we all expected it would be; the VCMuzzler really makes that a non-issue for me. The transmission will be something very interesting to watch over the next little while. It would be great to see a transmission slightly overbuilt for the application rather than the opposite, which seems to be the case now.

On one hand, AWD would be nice, but the trade-off of having to use run-flat tires (this is the compromise the Toyota Sienna makes) is a problem, especially if (like me) you run dedicated winter tires. That's just expensive, any which way you spin it.

All in all, the whole package doesn't really make a compelling case for us to upgrade early from our 2015. It looks nice and will almost certainly be on our shopping list when the 2015 finally wears out, but we will probably not hurry to replace our current Ody based on what the new one offers.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, VCMuzzler, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less. - Eric Shinseki

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast